Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Making a Target List

DJR

I think R-N-R has a good idea about making and posting a target list.

First...does one exist?

I have been thinking of testing out different targets and listing where and how they register on the ACE unit (for me in Florida soils). Compile all the findings and then maybe somehwhere down the road post the findings. I think it would help some of the newbies (such as myself) and others out there "learn" their specific unit, whether it be an ACE or other Garrett detector.

I have several individuals who have a variety of targets (relics, jewelry, and various coins) to test as well as what is in hand in the home. I even have a rock and mineral shop down the road from my office that I may be able to test various metals (natural copper, gold, silver, etc...) as to where they would target on my ACE unit.

So R-n-R I guess we should start our little compilation if your game!? I know you have been already testing and posting some of your data. Me I guess I should get my butt in gear.

Don

it"s a good idea if your hunting for coins or a specific items only but if ya hunt for gold & silver jewellery it"s pretty much dig all but iron as it hits all along the target ID the more important thing to learn with jewellery is what an item sounds like in pin point as i find this with the TID gives me a fair idea of whats in the ground before i dig.
when i hunt old coins i only dig the high tone targets ( silver-copper ) once i"v got a target in the high tone range i pin point if the item has a coin like sound/size i dig if not i"m off to the next target.
when hunting jewellery i dig from foil to $1 on the TID with med/small sizing in pin point, silver has a nice sharp signal & gold is a bit more of a rounded signal.
hope this helps ya.
lazyaussie

Well that is what I am going to be working on. I have noticed that certain coins and jewelry will hit in a certain zones on the TD. So I figure if I can say go through the gamut of jewelry say...a 10k gold ring all the way up to an 18k or even a 22k and see exactly where they register on the TD in comparison to other targets. For example most of what I see every one finding there gold rings are in the nickel zone. But say a 10k ring targets off just a little above a nickel but just below a pop top that would give me some idea as to what I may have found under the dirt.

Just an idea for a test of various scenarios.

Don

I think the ID on the Ace 250 is pretty accurate in itself. You'll notice the gold and silver band stretching over most of the display. (like most all detectors) This really means one thing. You have to dig trash to get jewelry. Time permitting I will dig everything except a solid iron beep. I just dug a Wheatie at 3 inches that bounced from iron all the way up to cent. It must have hit every segment. But the bell tone was mixed right in there. So I dug a pretty good sized piece of iron at 6 inches in the hole only to find the Wheatie in the bottom of my flap. If I had been short of time I would have skipped that target.

i hope i didn't upset ya mate it"s not what i intended i was just trying to help out :) i was trying to say i"v had gold & silver jewellery hit every TID segment on the ace250 as well as bouncing between most of the segments.
hope your list helps ya find more gold :thumbup:
lazyaussie

No offense taken.

I hope I didn't "sound" upset. I like and take all the advice on here I can.

I "try" to look at where all these things chime in at dig them and try to remember at what point it was a pop top and at what point it was a nickel or what have you (I have not found a ring yet!). Nickels on my unit are dead on. However I have had some targets hit all around the gold zone and most have come up as those dang plastic drink covers (the peel away things that have a thin layer of aluminum or whatever that stuff is) Those dang things go all over the place and sometimes ring as a coins. They are worse than pop tops! That silver bracelet I found hit dead in the silver zone so I am assuming that silver will pretty much be dead on(?)

Well after reading and hearing others finding rings and most of there good stuff in the trash zones I have my work cut out for me at the ball park I am working over. Alot of good "sounds" coming out of my ACE around the concession stand! Ball season is in full swing here in Fl (it never ends).

Thanks guys

Don

I know what your talking about with those peel off foil bottle covers. Luckily they are usually just under the grass and my Pro pointer sniffs them out without digging.

I think those dang peel tops are going to be the next 'tector's scurge even worse than pop tops!!!

I hate them.

Don

and weigh gold 10k 14k etc and see where they fall on the disc. I checked on of my wife's nice rings (two dia marq. and ruby) ring looked pretty hvy but hit as foil on the disc? So I guess you could take 100 rings and see where they all hit at to get an idea of what percentage is acceptable to dig to maximise the $$ rings. with out having to dig a mountian of crap!

The foil liners are way behind pulltabs, I can still dig mountians of them, and that's why there's still rings an coins hiding. When waterhunting I'll spend alot of time in spots that produce pulltabs sometimes in ankle deep water to find a keeper. Keeps all the treasures hid! It also gives me a feeling of satfication to "beat the odds" about +/- 100 pulltabs to one gold ring. So when I'm hunting I'm counting tabs waiting for the jackpot. Try it sometime! I cheat in the water and sometimes only dig "yellow"(foil->zinc) on my BHID. Most of the time I dig all,(yellow and blue(coins)) afraid to miss a honker!

DAMM SNOW GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rage:

I love my Ace....
I hate the display though.
To be honest, I hate the fact that my vision is getting to the point that glasses may become necessary, Maybe I should just start swinging a machine that either has a bigger display or has none at all.
I have no idea what the display on my Ace says 99 percent of the time.but the subtle tones speak volumes.
sorry for the hijack..