Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Maiden voyage

Diane and I just purchased a used travel trailer (trying to get our retirement ducks in a row) and decided that our first trip should be to the GPAA gold show in Fresno. After arriving in the RV park (which was one step away from a swamp due to the recent rains) we managed to get the trailer leveled and most of the appliances working. The hot water heater was cranky and I did not get it going until the second day. Undaunted, we sallied forth to the show intending to arrive at least a half an hour early to have a chance at the vials of gold given to the first 100 customers. Upon arrival, we were surprised to see a line of people already extending 400 yards from the entrance...(so much for the gold vials). The show was packed with 1200 people and the crowds around some vendors tables were three deep. My friend Rob (who owns 49'er mining supply) was inundated with business so I got behind the counter to give him a hand....and ended up working there all day selling maps, crevassing tools and demonstrating the blue bowl. Sunday was a bit slower which allowed Diane and I to trade off behind the counter and check out the show.
The fact that I was helping out a friend probably saved me a bunch of money because I was salivating over some of the dredges, finishing sluices and trommels at the show.
The trip back up the mountains to our home near the north entrance of Yosemite was solid rain and wind (no fun when you are pulling a 22 ft trailer). The 150 mile trip took 5 hours and left me with a case of the yips and twitches. But all was well, we arrived home safe and are looking forward to our next adventure.
Rick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mokkjIGsukY

i see you have to spend $$$$ to find the Gold! You were "lucky" helping your friend, or you may have left some $$ behind!:thumbup:

a few years back, then traded it in for a new one. It's the one thing we own that I really enjoy. Our thought behind it was since I cannot sit for long periods of time, an RV would be a good thing. So now, instead of riding in the front passenger seat all the time, I can go lay on the bed, or couch or take a shower etc., instead of being up front doodling down the freeway with an 18 wheeler on each side of us, and me being sucked up real tight! .:rofl: Scott drives the thing like it's a VW. It sure comes in handy when we visit our son in Virginia while he was in school. We would park it on the grounds of VMI, and talk about tailgating..........all his friends and buddies would come over and stay when they were off. :) And oh yeah,.............it's a dandy beer camp cabin!!! :rofl:

Unfortunately, South Texas does not have gold. You will get use to pulling that travel trailer, and when you do, you will be glad that you have it to live out of while out looking for gold. Good story! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have not used in years. I bought it with a brain fart and since I am not into gold panning it was a waste of money to me. Now it just sets :(

You have kinda inspired us.. Maybe this year!!

calm seas

Mikie

Very enjoyable way to travel the country for sure. I like having my own bed to sleep in. You will get the hang of it in short order. We have had them all at one time or another. Tents, popups, trailers, class C motorhome, Class A and even one Class B home made.
Right now its a 5th wheel. My wife drives as much as I do. She is used to pulling horse trailers, stock trailers and has no problems getting the trailer where she wants it. I still find most rv parks a good deal out west. Back east here, not so cheap. Short season, over regulated and they only have a short time to make their money. We were very impressed with the campgrounds out west. Being and older guy here I have the Golden Age Passport which gets you in the National Parks, and very reduced rates at them. Used it in 28 states so far and its really decent. Good Sams is a decent club if for nothing else, the monthly book. Subcribe one year, and you get a certificate for one night free at a campground up to $25.00 That pays for the 1 year subscription.

Couple the rv with you gold hunting and thats a recipe for a great life in retirement. We sure like it on the road. Livning on the east coast here in CT, its a long haul out west but each time we grab a different highway. Lots to see for sure. Keep us posted on your gold hunting. I wish it was here in the northeast. It is, but very limited.. I could get hooked on that hobby very easy. Back country, nature, doing something you really like is what retirement is all about.

Here are a few shots of our rig.

George-CT

Hey Mikie,
You should head to that creek and move a little dirt. There are plenty of internet sites that will show you how to pan.
Just think...one good pocket and you might have enough to buy an RV too.

fair winds, calm waters and no following seas,
Rick

We have just never taken advantage of this creek. We have given it some thought and with any luck, {And Alice's knee being done], we will in all probability go out this year.

Fair winds, sunny skies

Mikie

n/t