Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Made sense to me

Jbird

When out metal detecting in the forest south of Prescott AZ, I started working up a long gradual gulch and suddenly noticed a claims marker. It had a small sign on a tree that said "blow-hole #10". I quit detecting but out of curiosity, went on up the gulch and pretty soon ran into the next claim, 'blow-hole #9. Then there was a number 8, 7, 6, and so on till I came to a travel trailer parked on claim #2.
On claim #2 I met this guy who will henceforth be known as Jim. Jim was about 40 and said he had been prospecting for 30 of those years. He worked 6 months of the year on construction jobs, saved his money and prospected the other six months. Said he had made hundreds of thousands of dollars prospecting but his ding-blasted wife took off with most of it. Since I was new to the Get Rich while Prospecting business, I figured I could learn a lot from Jim.

Jim gave me permission to hunt his claims and over a period of time I got to know him a little better. Didnt find any gold but did get to know Jim better. Also got to know quite a bit about his ding-blasted ex-wife. Jim seemed to like me and offered to sell me the rights to any one of his claims for a mere $1600. He knew all of that country well and I was getting all the information from him I could. He said if I wonted to team up with him, we could make a mint working some old dredging piles along the Hassayampa River south of Prescott. I assured him I was ready for the big time so we loaded up the necessary tools and beer into Jims Toyota 4X4 and headed out. I noticed a dent in the top of the dash-board in Jim's truck and wondered what could have caused it but was too polite to ask.

That drive south from Prescott is one of those beautiful mountain drives, winding road, steep drop offs on one side, straight up mountain on the other. You could see vast distances further south out over the Hassayampa River basin, where the gold was. In my mind, I was seeing a rainbow rising out of that area, starting right about where the old dredge piles would be. I wasn't able to concentrate on the rainbow too much though for fear Jim would splatter us on the front bumper of an eighteen wheeler as he was whipping aroung those sharp curves without paying much attention to where the highway center line was. Jim was explaining to me the trials and tribulations of dealing with divorce attorneys.

I was much relieved when we exited the highway and hit the backroads. Jim wasn't exactly finessing the holes and boulders in that road and I was much relieved when we arrived at the Hassayampa and the dredgepiles. I didnt see the rainbow but then Im smart enough to know you cant see them when you are standing right in the middle of them.

Jim explained how we were going to get rich from the dredge piles. It seemed that most of the really good stuff was right on the bottom of the piles. When the river overflowed, his theory was that the old dredge piles would act as a huge sluice box with the piles of rocks as the riffles. The gold of course, as usual, would be settling out to the bottom of the pile. Made sense to me but I looked at these huge piles of rock, taller than me and ranging from about grapefruit size on up. I asked what we were to do with the rocks on top of the pile and Jim allowed we had to remove them. Made sense to me so we carefully metal detected the area where we were going to throw rocks from the first pile to make sure we didnt cover up the good stuff that might be there. Jim suggested we do that and it made sense to me. I was learning some good stuff.

To impress my new prospecting partner, I leaped up on top of the first pile and started throwing rocks while Jim went and got himself another beer. With beer in hand, Jim suggested I throw any rocks that had quartz or old rusty red stuff in them off to one side so he could check them with his metal detector. Made sense to me and I was glad to have such a knowledgeable partner. I heaved away while Jim told me some more interested stuff about his ding-blasted ex-wife. When Jim saw that I wasn't breathing quite right, he said come on down and we will work the side of the pile untill it starts caving in on us before we throw more off the top. So thats what we did and when my breathing got back to normal Jim said he guessed it was time to throw more rock off the top again and went to the truck to get himself another beer. And thats the way we proceeded untill we completely cleaned up that one dredge pile all the way to the bottom, where the good stuff was. When we hauled all the good stuff over to the river in 5 gallon buckets and panned it out we had somewhere in the vicinty of $20 worth of gold.

As we climbed back into the Toyato and headed back to Prescott, I was hoping to relax some but Jim was really wound up and wonting to explain to me the way things were in the prospecting business. He started in on the government in general and then began to break it down into various pieces, like the BLM, Forest Service, Forrest Rangers, Fish and Wildlife, etc. His oratory skills were getting a little cross-wise of his driving skills on that winding mountain road. He would pause to catch a breath ever now and then and pop him another beer. Then he got started in on his ex-wife again, got all excited and started whamming his fist down on the dash-board of his truck, right in the middle of that dented spot I told you about before.

When we got back to Jims claim, he was still trying to tell me how to make it in the prospecting business. He wobbled out of this truck and said, "This is the way to make money in the prospecting business. You file a bunch of claims and then sell your rights to them to some dumb SOB. After he quits the claim, you go back, claim it again and then sell the rights to it again. Hell, he said, he had made ten times more money selling claims than grubbing around for gold. He said he had sold that same string of claims years ago and had just waited untill they came open again to file on them and sell them again. I mentally multiplied 10 claims times $1600 and came up with $16,000. I couldn't help but compare it to the $20 we had made that day, a whole half of it which was mine, all mine. It was right then that I realized that Jim had smartend me up a right smart about the prospecting business. Just file on some worthless claims, sell the rights to them, and if you are hunting dredge piles, find some dumb guy to throw rocks for you. It was a worthwhile experience.......plus some of that stuff about Jim's ding-blasted ex-wife was right interesting!

n/t

maybe not as easy as you did, but i learnt it!
Funny story bud! Of course if you talk nugget shooting or prospecting you KNOW you have MY attention:thumbup:

I have never prospected and figure it is something I would have enjoyed.

I do enjoy your story's as they tell about a world that I have never entered and now I do with your and Wayne's story's.

I remember another guy that posted here that was a prospector. He had some great story's but found someone that was going to publish them, so he asked me to pull them. I did so. I don't know what happened to him but miss his story's.

You said he offered you a claim for 1600 bucks. You never said if you bought it :D

Thanks again for joining our little band of story tellers, Jbird

Dreams keep us alive. The lessons we learn are what make the journey interesting. Great post !

dent in the dash:),i guess his ding-blasted wife actually had good sense,he probably expected her to get him a beer everytime he wanted one,your story reminds me of the car ride from hell i took with a co-worker one time at lunch.i'm guessing we've all met a jim sometime.

Selling worthless claims can be and is a sort of business in areas where gold is often found. Jim sold one of those worthless claims, or it was thought to be worthless by all knowledable observers, and danged if it didnt have lots of nice nuggets right at ground surface. This really ticked Jim off. He still had a claim down slope from that claim. He bought a bunch of inexpensive fibreglass sluices and permently mounted them in every crevice and small gully that drained the claim he had sold. He was hoping that the rainy season would wash lots of fine gold down thru his sluices but he got......nothing.....absolutely nothing.:) Sometimes justice is served. But Jim still profited because all of his $1600 claims immediately increased in value due to their proximity to that one good claim. All in all, Jim probably made a lot more money off his claim selling than the guy that got lucky and found some gold nuggets on the one claim that Jim sold him.

considering gold is one of my favorite subjects! It sounds a bit like some of the stuff I've heard flying around here on the old Gippsland goldfields. Sounds like you have a very ineresting, and informative experience, of a sort! Thanks for sharing:)

Them thar claims! Great story Jbird! I have heard that more folks got rich selling supplys to the 49ers than those who dug the gold!