Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Macro/Close-Up bug photo taken tonight..............

Kelley (Texas)

A few minutes ago, I put the trash can out for pickup tomorrow and on the way back into the house, I noticed this butterfly on the front porch. It was huddled against the bricks so the background is not the best...it was hard to see at first. We have a cold front moving into the area at the moment and I guess it was cold enough to make the bug stay still while I took it's picture...almost like putting it in the ice box? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 9314 DSC00819.JPG]

n/t

It is big, maybe five inches from wing tip to wing tip.

Earlier today, I saw some bees on my neighbors flowers and decided to take a macro photo of one of them. Every time I would get near one, they would all form a group and circle me...I now know how King Kong must have felt when he was perched on top of that tall building fighting off the airplanes that were attacking him. I did not have any wasp spray so I just gave up, not worth the risk of getting stung.

Later, I spotted a large, fat bumble bee and ran to the house to get the camera. He was gone when I came back. This one was so fat that it probably could not fly very fast and I may have been able to get a picture. I looked for it, but it was just gone. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

You are gitting some good ones!! Keep at it!

He might be able to tell us what type of butterfly or moth it is....may be a rare one. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Do you know what this thing is? If it is still there tomorrow, I will catch it and put it in a big jar or something. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

I received an e-mail that identified this bug as a "Bat Moth." They are somewhat rare and live from Brazil to Texas or Florida, but most of them live in Mexico. It is believed that the hurricane winds pushed it to this area. It was gone this morning, either flew off or a bird might have eaten it. I say a bird might have eaten it because there were some birds in the tree near the porch this morning. These birds around here eat the bugs and make it very difficult to find a good bug for a macro photo. I have noticed that they leave the bees alone, don't seem to want to mess with them...guess they don't want to get stung either. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I still do not know why it is called that. It looks nothing like a hummingbird. Maybe it is because they are just quite large. :)

take care

Clear water

M

It will really get cold tonight, predicted to reach a low of 39 degrees. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Great photo! I find many moths have more interesting color patterns that the butterflies I see around here.

i think our low tonight will be about what yours will be.it was a nice change,kind of like an old friend coming by and visiting for a couple of days,then you start remembering the things you didn't like about your old friend and you try to get him to go home:lol:.