Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Macro bug photo..................

Kelley (Texas)

Some of you folks may not know it, but I have been having a very difficult time trying to post a decent macro bug photo...it has been frustrating, but I have hung in there!

I used a Sony DSC-S85 digital camera to take this photo, not my new camera that I can not seem to get to work properly at this time. This camera belongs to my Son, and he lent it to me because he said it is easy to use.

It has been hot and dry down here and all the bugs seem to be hiding down cracks in the yard or under rocks. I turned several rocks over looking for a decent bug, but all I found were some fire ants that stung the fire out of me. When I used the water hose to fill up a crack with water in an attempt to flush out a bug, the only thing coming out of one of the cracks was a big brown spider which I did not want to mess with. Finally, last night, I spotted a cat catching bugs under the street light up the street. So, earlier this afternoon, I found this bug that the cat must have missed.

Unfortunately, I think that the heat must have gotten to the bug. It was not in the best shape so I had to help it along so that I could take this picture. It was not necessary to put the bug in the ice box, it was not very active as per se...trust me on this! I waited until Debbie went to the grocery store, then brought it into the house for the macro bug photo session. Hope you like the photo. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

pictures are much improving!! I am learning from you. You sure don't have to ice them down to get them to pose!! I am impressed but I think the bug isn't!!

Still laughing:super:

n/t

so you could have hidden the nail! :lol: What's it worth to you for me NOT to call Debbie and tell her once again, you had bugs in the house, eh???? :lol:

n/t

It was in poor condition when I caught it...either dehydrated from the heat or maybe the cat bit it the night before. I ran and got a mason jar, put some wet grass from the yard in the jar, and then gently placed the bug in the mason jar. I did everything I could to keep the poor bug alive, but it just was not to be.

After the bug died while in my procession, I made the decision to change my plans and take a macro bug picture anyway. I got a piece of cardboard, stuck a pin through it, and then carefully positioned the bug on the end of the pin. That being done, I put some grass around the bug and took the macro photo. I did not use flash on this macro bug photo, just hand held the camera. I did take about a dozen macro photos and this was the best one of the bunch. When I was done, I threw the bug's body over the back fence into my neighbor's yard. I figured that their cat would eat the bug for a snack.

I like this Sony DSC-S85 camera and may just make it my macro bug and flower camera. My new Nikon camera has one heck of a difficult learning curve, too many buttons and programs for my simple mind to easily learn...need to get some help from someone that is experienced with this type of camera. The Sony DSC-S85 camera was very easy and simple to use.

Also, I did not know how to remove the pin from the macro photo, was kinda hoping that no one would notice it...wrong! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

The bug was just too far gone when I caught it, but I tried to keep it alive. I even put wet grass in the mason jar so that it would have water to drink. When Debbie left to go to the grocery store, I ran and got the mason jar...that is when I noticed that the bug had died, he was laying on it's back with it's feet up in the air. I even shook the mason jar to see if it was possible that the bug was sleeping, but it was dead.

While I would like to learn how to remove the pin from the macro photo, I have my hands full just trying to learn macro bug photography at the moment. Did it take you very long to learn how to use Photo Shop? Would it have been difficult to hide the pin in the macro bug photo?

I sure liked your macro butterfly photo. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

that is used for mounting a camera on a telescope, but did not know if it was for film cameras or digital cameras. Would you be interested? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

your bugs wings look like the skin on a person's finger,almost like a finger print.no comments from me on the pin.:D

n/t

Was it very difficult to do? Also, do you know if Sunny knows how to do this type of thing?

It amazes me what someone can do with the digital camera and some software...far cry from the old film type cameras and Walgreen Drug Store processing. I just looked at my photo software program, Compupic Pro, and noticed that I can make a photo change to black and white.

Thanks for modifying my macro bug photo, it looks more real now with out the pin stuck through it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

this is a crude adjustment on your bug that only took a couple minutes. Don't you have Photoshop?

for editing my digital photos. My Son came by the house Sunday evening to show me how to use the Sony DSC-S85 digital camera that he lent to me, and we talked about various photo software programs. He has the latest Photo Shop software and offered to install it on this computer, but I declined to do so at the moment. I am so involved in trying to learn how to use the new Nikon digital camera that I just do not want to mess with another computer program. You must remember that this is all new to me...lots to learn.

What is kinda funny is that my Son tried to convince me to buy a Sony digital camera, but I did not listen to him...I saw the Nikon with lots of bells and whistles and thought it would be the better camera. That Nikon camera has created a situation where I am majoring in a camera instead of majoring in taking photos. The Nikon camera impressed me because it had a 8X zoom which would help me in taking wildlife photos which was my only goal at that time. After seeing the colorful macro bug photos, I also became interested in doing that too! Macro photography is a complete subject of it's own, not as easy as taking everyday photos, and that is where I am having the problems with this Nikon camera. I will hang in there until I learn how to take some good macro bug pictures, each passing day messing with that camera only means that I am that much closer to learning how to do macro bug photography. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I really like Photoshop but it takes a little playing with learn but what the heck, they all do.

Some of us can maybe help you with it. I don't know much but I don't keep many secrets either.

My camera does much more than I know how to take advantage of. I just keep messing with it and show you the pictures that don't totally suck. Most do.

thinking about a camera some time down the line but it's a little early right now, once I feel I know what I am doing and have a feel for the add ons like cameras then I will start picking at it. Thank you very much for the heads up Kelley, I should check out ebay more often, seems to be alot of good stuff on there.

General Ray :)