Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

M6 in iron trash areas?

jshn

To the M6 users, have you used your M6 in heavy iron trash areas?

I was wondering how the M6 behaved. What coils did you use? All in all how do you feel the M6 held up?

HH

yes i have been using my m-6 in very trashy eareas whith the 9.5" coil it finds iron way down thear im finding every piece of iron in the ground and it acuratly tells you it is iron on display in the tone i,d a bigerr iron oject like a can sounds like a piec of silver alo picks up copper very well im finding several pounds of copper each time i go out and thats worth 2.50 a pound im just learning it

The M6 works well with the 6X10 DD and the 5.3 eclipse, both work well in iron trash. I found that ground balancing the detector in auto track in a clean area first, then set the tracking to the lock position worked better in the iron trash areas.

Below is a review I did on my M6 when I first got it, hope it helps..

Take care, :twodetecting:
Bill G

M6 REVIEW

I got in my new M6 machine, put it together, and did some quick air testing. There was a minor fix that needed to be done. The discriminator knob was off by a notch forward. I pulled it off and rolled it back one notch so that the nickels would drop out at nickel instead of past the nickel mark on the dial. Now the dial is right on the money at the nickel & coin markings.

I took the M6 out to an old oilfield lease house sight from the early 1900's. The homes are gone and there is a ton of iron trash in the ground.

I have to say the detector did a fine job over all. Every bit as good as other units I have had or used in this area; including the XLT, DFX, and the MXT.(The M6 unit was not as noisy as the MXT in the iron trash, which was to be expected being a silent search mode detector). The silent search mode was nice if you prefer a non threshold based detector. I found the trick was to ground balance in a good area then lock the track toggle, this kept the chatter down from the iron trash. There was a noticeable difference between auto ground tracking and the locked in tracking position in the iron trash. Every now and then I would lift the coil to waist height and toggle the pin point on, then place the coil above the ground and pump the coil to check balance, no problems in this area of function.

I used the 6x10DD and the 5.3 coil, they both did well. The DD was a little quieter in the iron trash. The detector ID'd well only being fooled by a few flat iron washers or larger pieces of decomposing iron. It also ID'd a zinc as a screw cap once and most of the old pop tops Id'd as penny/dime if they were flat, but they had a slightly different sound to them and the ID bar would only fill in half way most all of the time even though it locked penny/dime. On a good penny or dime the ID bar would fill in all the way with a good lock.

I feel the detector discriminates in iron trash well and will be a great coin machine with good solid depth.

My finds included: a 1917 wheat, 1881 Indian head, 1902 Indian head, 1907 silver dime an old brass tool tag from the 1950's, a 1965 quarter, an old Milk of Magnesia toothpaste tin tube with a metal lid, and the regular modern clad items.

Many Thanks Bill! That was a nice write up and was exactly what I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, have you ever used the 4"x6" Eclipse Shooter? It looks like it would be a killer in the trashy areas.

HH

WOW Gunnar, that copper weight will add up in a hurry for ya.

For sure, you will need a "Shooter" coil rather than your 9.5" for the trashy sites. Your life will be a lot easier and finds worth keeping will increase.

HH

[quote jshn]Many Thanks Bill! That was a nice write up and was exactly what I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, have you ever used the 4"x6" Eclipse Shooter? It looks like it would be a killer in the trashy areas.

HH[/quote]

Glad I could help,:) and no I have not used the small DD coil yet, but I hear it is a fine little coil, some say it gets less depth than the 5.3, but I do not personally know.

Take Care,:twodetecting:
Bill G