Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

M6 compared to Ace 250

arkiebilly

Hello everyone,
I have been looking at the ace 250 and see that it has some features that are quite nice, like the ability to select a specific target or eliminate a target all together. The M6 has a basic sensitivity control and a discrimination control. It does have automatic ground balance, and a beach setting; the ace 250 is fixed balance. I do have an M6, and did order an Ace250 today. I think, the M6 starts to lose a bit of target ID as it goes beyond 3" maybe 4", but definitely by 6" it just a guessing game.
1. For all you Ace users out there, do you find problems with fixed ground balance?
2. Does target ID hold pretty well as depth increases?
3. In everyday hunting, is depth ability for this Ace 250, 0-2", 2-4", 4+"????
Now I know there are always variables, but, at some point I have to say, hey this detector (any) is basically good for targets less that X inches deep, and will not do well in higher mineralized areas or at the beach...... or whatever the pro and cons happen to be for the detector. (Maybe this varies with user.. I am a novice at this.)
So, is there some general consensus about the abilities of the Ace 250? What a question huh..... maybe a question that does not have a clear answer.
At any rate, I am looking forward to using this detector..... when it arrives.
Bill

I find items in all ranges! Depends on what your hunting,where your hunting, condition of soil and last but not least how well you know the 250. I would say most of my targets are between 2 and six inches. I hunt tot lots a lot and my own yard. You should love it, I know i do!!

The 250 will keep you happy in all respects. When Garrett built this machine they crammed an $800 detector into a $200 package.and the rest is history. It ain't the most sold detector on the market for nothing. Good luck and you know where to come for answers. Peruse the archives on this forum. It is loaded with 250 info.

Bill

Hey Mike,
I think that is a reasonable depth for most finds. And for the price, the 250 is a real bargain. I too, hunt my yard a lot. I don't know why, but I have turned up all kinds of things, including one Panamanian coin, and a Junior Forest Fire Fighting Warden shield, which was a Canadian organization. (I am in Central Arkansas) I have not found any really old coins, but have turned up many wheaties, several mercury dimes and silver quarters. I have also found toy cars, and toy pistols. I know I am missing a lot of stuff, the yard is loaded with iron........makes it difficult.
Anyhow................. I think the 250 will be here Friday :biggrin: can't wait to see how she works...
Thanks for the info,
Bill

Thanks UW
After reading a bit about it, I said, "Hey this thing (ACE 250) has got lots of features of higher priced detectors." And your confirmation is good news. (I just posted to a guy that was looking at the 5ID, which I have, and really, I don't think you can compare the 250 and the Classic 5ID) I have been following several Minelab SEs and a II on Ebay, cause, they are supposed to be the cat's meow. I don't know this for sure, cause I is no engineer, but often one buys the name, and not necessarily a tremendously better product...... not saying they are not good detectors by any stretch. Anyway, I am anxious for the 250 to get here....... :happy: I might have said that before :biggrin: yes, I am sure I said that before...........
I have been reading posts and I have a gleaned much good info. I hope the detector comes with a CD. I looked but did not see that as one of the things you got with it, but maybe it will be there.
Again, thanks for the reply and the information.
Bill

arkiebilly said:
I think, the M6 starts to lose a bit of target ID as it goes beyond 3" maybe 4",

That's really weak, I'm surprised to hear the M6 doesn't ID well deeper than that

I met up with a guy last week who wanted a couple of lessons to shorten his learning curve. He brought his ACE 250 & I brought mine. We hunted side by side for a while and the bell tone BANGED! Out popped a silver ring. :)

It is possible that I am running the sens to high and getting erroneous ID. And since there is only that one thing to adjust (not using the disc.) I will try and see if turning it down helps. I am not getting chatter. If I do, I turn it down a bit, till it smooths out. Don't know what else I would do. And perhaps, I have not hit any solid targets in the last few times out and have forgotten... 'tis possible... I'm not the best detectorist around.:unsure:..... It may do better than I stated... and I just haven't hit anything it could ID......... I will check, and correct if that is the case.
Thanks.............bill

People's abilities are as varied as detectors are. The Ace is fun. I know of no detector with a small coil that can go 1" from play ground equipment. I think there is something magic about the bell tone. Some people hate it, but in trashy areas it picks out the good targets amongst the iron. Some say there isn't much of a learning curve, because you will start finding good thing right away. There is a learning curve. It has a lot of secrets to tell you. When it jumps from iron to cent it is a deep cent. I dig cents routinely at 7". I have dug so many, that I just know the sound.
I had a newspaper reporter following me around. I told her a pre- 82 cent from a newer one before I dug them. I told her there was a bottle cap at 4' and dug it up and it still had the bottle on it. It all blew her away.

Here is a picture of a situation where the bell tone over came the iron. That is a bottle cap fused to a silver ring. I couldn't break it apart in the field.

[attachment 125695 3-26-08Bcapring.jpg]

Hey John,
The more I hear about the ACE the more anxious I am for it to get here. It is supposed to arrive on Friday. I have only found one silver ring in a tot lot, and it was not nearly as heavy as that one looks to be.
My Dad was from Moundsville.... His folks came from Hamlin and Hurricane. Done a little research on the places, and there is a family reunion up there every 4th of July. May get up that way some day, don't know though.
Well, I've heard a lot about the bell tone..... I guess soon, I'll see how it sounds. I did not plant a coin garden with my M6, but plan to really do some testing before going into the field with this one.
Talk with you later................bill

Try running your sensitivity at 50%-60% and see what happens. Too much sensitivity can screw up a lot of things..

Bill

Keep us posted on how you do with the Yeller Feller. Remember to run the sensitivity at no more than four bars until you get a lot of hours on it.

Bill

I have found some coins in dry sand at 8+ inches plus a few odds and ends that were not coins with my ACE.

I run my Sensitivity at around 4 most of the time.

Don

Amazing........... I did not think a detector was on the market that has the features that the
ace has, that could compete with other "high end" detectors for such a great price. I really
am looking forward to using the ACE 250. Even if it is half as good as the reports on this
forum, it will be a great machine. I plan to do some serious hunting.... :cheers:
Bill

I got my ace and all I can say it is one machine that you will love using. to date I have found a silver ring a gold ring and alot of clad. I know the american clad is made differently than our Canadian clad but I have to say this much when it hits money... it is dead on except for our loonies and toonies. Even my wife loves to use this and I am thinking on buying another ace250!!! then after I saved all my clad I am going to buy my M6 or the whites 6T.

I have a good friend that runs an M6 and he KILLLLLLLS with that thing!!!! And for "starts to lose a bit of target ID as it goes beyond 3" maybe 4"," thats not true, I have seen plenty of coins come out that were down 8" 9" inches.

I updated from the Ace 250 (which I like) to the M6 (which I LOVE!!) and could never ever use the Ace 250 as my main machine ever again. It is an awesome machine for what it is, but it can not compete with the White's M6. I actually prefer to use the Ace in tot lots because it is hotter on shallow targets. Also, it is great on the FW beaches here. But when I want to go deeper and be able to hear multiple tones for different conductivities, the M6 is my head honcho. I would also like to add, that if you are losing identification on targets at 4 or 5 inches, maybe you need to tweak your settings a bit. I can and have pulled coins at 8+ inches many times with the M6, and though the ID may not be perfect, it is good enough to indicate that the target is likely a good one. I have pulled some deep-ish coins with the Ace 250, but usually at 6 inches or so, and with very little to no trash surrounding it. And that bell tone...it just, well, it gets kinda old after awhile :) But I'll never get rid of my Ace 250, so, that says something. Good luck.

Joe

Well Kermit, and twistidd

You are probably right. It quite well may be the guy using the M6 that is the problem and not the machine. I don't deny my novice standing. As far as my statement being true, if it appeared that I lied about what I experienced, that was not my intention. Sorry if it came across that way. Although I have had a detector for about two years, really, I have done only a meager amount of hunting, compared to lots (probably most) of the guys on this forum. It sounds like your friend has had good luck with his M6, and you with your ACE 250. It appears that you are both are avid/lucky hunters, and could probably glue a paper plate on the end of a stick and find more than I could find with a high end detector.
I think part of knowing how well a detector performs, is having used several different detectors. So, having never used anything but the M6 (and 5ID,) I really did not know what to expect, and maybe expected a bit more than my skill level, and a bit more than the detector could deliver.

I did get the Ace today, and hunted over ground I had been over before, (like many here). At this point, one of the major differences that I notice between the two detectors is the ability of the ace to cut out (null) specific targets. With the Whites, you start to discriminate, and it is a blanket discrimination as you increase the level. For instance, on the M6 you cannot cut out pull tabs without cutting out everything below, like small rings, etc. It is likely that I ran my M6 at a to high level of sensitivity, and it gave false readings and lots of chirping over iron targets, even if the descrimanation level of "COINS ONLY" was selected. The ACE gives some great programs with the touch of a button. And I think does a great job, as I am sure you know.

Next to my shop, an old, 1958, service station, is a grass area that is loaded with nuts, bolts, washers, spark plugs, small pieces of sheet metal, and just about any car part you might want to find. With the ACE In the coins program, I got hits that I am sure are junk. As per tips that I found on this forum, I lifted the coil when I suspected a large object, and could tell that the target was much bigger than a coin. Anyway, false signals did seem to be minimized, running the coin program at level #4 sensitivity. I got a good bell tone, and thought, no way there is a coin here in this junk, but pinpointed the target, dug two inches down and found a penny... now the ID did say dime, true, it did. But it was a late penny, and I do believe (now don't know that for certain) they may show a dime ID. Anyway, so far so good.

NOW FOR THE BAD about the ACE. (This is only my opinion in the early stage of ownership)
My M6 does not feel as heavy as the ACE, (the ACE actually weighs a bit less) and I think this feeling is due, in part, to balance. The ACE, seems like most of the weight is on the front end, where as, with the M6, the tail piece is longer, and has the battery pack mounted close to the rear. Consequently, the swing with the M6 feels much nicer, just more balanced. Also the coil support rod on the Whites is much nicer. The rod has locks at the joints, and when tightened, make the support rod, very rigid. The ACE just has the little pegs that snap into holes, but no locks, and that makes for a little play in the coil support rod. One last observation, the pinpoint on the ACE does not come close to the the M6. The M6 just seems to hit it right on, and the ACE can be a little tricky and require some user skill.

I don't remember the cost of the M6, (maybe Twistidd can tell us). I bought both new, and I am sure the M6 costs much more than the ACE. For the cost difference in the two, it is probably really unfair to the ACE250, to compare these two machines. [size=medium][size=large]In my opinion, for the money, the ACE is an entry level detector you cannot beat in any way, shape or form!!!!!![/size][/size] at least, I have not seen the detector that can beat it..... but then again, I haven't seen a lot of things.

THAT'S IT ...I am going to get into some serious hunting and comparison. Now that I have two nice detectors, I may try to find a hunting buddy.... haven't encountered any around these parts, but I know they are out there........... looking for treasure.... it's not the find, it's the hunt..... (well, maybe the find is part of it), :happy:

Bill