Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lower Rod Wobble

j.beatty

I think this may have been discussed before on this forum. Even with the cam down, I get a wobble that is annoying. Can someone point me to the thread if this was discussed before or offer some advice? Thanks!

Wish I could help you beatty. I've never experienced that, but you might get a hold of minelab in La Vegas. or elsewhere. Get on the net and look up the different Minelabe reair facilities and such. You can probably get an 800 number to discuss it with a minelab tech. Not just trying to pass the "buck", here, but that's an unusual one. Good luck and hope you find the answer. Marc.

Go to the Explorer forum and use the words; shaft loose, in the search function, select all dates,then check through the posting and replies found, there may be something that will help you.
John

I have seen this problem myself. I was using my Minelab reps demo and I thought the machine was going to fall apart literally! I'm not sure if there is a fix but I would think that using large coils on the Quattro would eventually cause this problem. When I'm swinging a Quattro or Explorer I try to go easy so as not to put stress on the shaft from overswinging. I hope this didn't confuse you any and I hope you get it repaired. God Bless.

John Tomlinson, CET

How i fixed my loose bottom stem. A small metal plate fell out of the bottom shaft!
Posted by: RingProfessional <Send a PM> (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 01:51PM

I started to have problems recently with my bottom stem been loose as the cam lever would not close properly. There are 2 reasons why this can happen, 1 is the red cam pad that presses on to the lower stem is worn and needs replacing or as in my case the tiny metal plate that presses onto the pad has become detached , i re glued the plate to the red plastic pad assembly and re assembled it and now the lower shaft is tight again. To get to the pad you will need to knock out the brass pin on the lower cam lever assembly with a small jewellers screwdriver and a small hammer the pin comes out real easy no problem, a few taps and its out, once this is out you can lift off the lever and remove the red plastic shaft clamp which just slides out very easy ,close examination revealed that the clamp was in need of cleaning as it was coated in thick grime, after thoroughly cleaning the red clamp i noticed the small metal plate which looks like it should be attached to the red clamp was in need of fixing to the clamp permanently so i glued the small metal plate with araldite to the red plastic clamp and re assembled it - all is now well i am pleased to say and the loose bottom shaft is fixed - this problem is something to look out for because its possible the small plate could fall out and get lost, i was lucky the small metal plate had not fallen out and got lost. The design of the lower shaft cam clamp assembly needs improving for sure in my opinion its way too flimsy and is not going to take much use before it fails. Dirt on the red pad could be the cause of a loose fitting shaft too. I think the bottom plastic clamp assembly should be replaced with an all new hard wearing metal replacement.

Hi J. beatty, I had the same problem also but I realized that the lower shaft was extended to far so I shortened it about 1-2 inches and it seems okay now. I hope this helps

I usually keep my swings real slow with the Quattro, except when I am relic hunting and trying to locate an old site in a large area with the S-12.

Where I notice it the most is when I do a couple quick little swings over a target to help identify and pinpoint it (without using pinpoint mode). I then may dig or use pinpoint depending on the strength of the target and the trash around.

mine did the same. I turned out to be the small metal plate on the red camshaft pad. If your missing it, then thats would explain it. I contacted minelab and they sent me another since the unit was still under warranty.