Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Low tide or High tide

coxy34

Hi to all beach detectorists out there
i have recently took up the hobby and got myself a sea hunter Mk2 with the bigger 10x14 coil
for the greater depth & scan width have read a few books on the hobby to get myself a general knowledge of the best places to search
was just wondering if anyone who searches the beaches regularly eighter has better luck searching the high tide or the low tide line
for better finds rate have just come back from a weekend searching found a few coins and the odd bit of junk pull tabs bottle tops
and various other bits of rubbish but no jewellery yet unfortunately :thumbdown:
any tips for better search rate finds especially for jewellery would be much appreciated
Adam in the UK

But you have to sift through and dig all the junk to find it. There is no magic trick to finding treasure, just get to know your machine really well and dig everything until you are positive you know what it is before you dig. Most machines will give off a reading approximately the same for a pull tab and a piece of gold, so don't ignor those readings. I have found some really great things at the high tide mark, dry sand and in the water. Go have fun and learn your machine.

My preference is at low tide, at the water's edge, in the hard-packed wet sand. I take that a little further into the shallow water and a little higher up to the top of the wet sand...to see where the bulk of the targets are. Depending on the tides and currents, the goodies can be a little higher or lower, but most of the stuff I find (and I find quite a bit) has been in the wet sand at the water's edge at low tide. Of course that can change from beach to beach. Some beaches are very difficult to hunt in the water, due to the surf. Others have very little wet sand area and may have a heavy slope, in which case in the water may be better. Or as in the case of beaches and swim areas that are sheltered by coves or jetties...the ares where the folks do the swimming is where you want to be. In heavy surf locations, the stuff tends to get pushed up on the beach and then the undertow buries it in the wet sand. It really is a science and it varies from beach to beach.

I like low tide. Here are a few beach hunting tips that I've gleaned from various sites and groups. I'm sure there's a lot but but this should get you started.

Tips:

1. Start at least two hours before low tide
2. Work dry sand during high tide

thanks everyone for all your suggestions :cheers:
have noted them all down and will put them into use very soon,
hopefully to good effect as soon as i start finding the good stuff i will post some pics on here
for you all to see and comment on happy hunting to you all
Adam in the wet and windy horrible weather at mo in the UK.

Coxy, you have been counciled wisely on some suggested areas to search, but allow me to offer you some settings that work on the Mark II, as I owned 3 of the units. 1st I will say that I tried the 10X14" coil and feel it is a poor choice, for in the water. It appears you are more interested in wetsanding, so perhaps it will work OK there, although it may be more trashy than in the surf. I found the 10X14" coil unruley and hard to control in the surf, personally. Set to barely audible on Volume/Threshold, 0 elimination (you like gold right?) and Standard Trash Elimination. If you are running any other way, it is going to perform better my way. Used it for the 1st 2 full seasons, best of luck to ya!

Thanks Gulf hunter
i managed to get hold of a copy of the book advanced water working techniques you told me about
great book :) not managed to come across the other one yet though secrets of the pros
its good to here from you again and hope you have had plenty of finds lately i know what you mean about the 10 x 14 coil
its not easy to use in water used it in a few pools had lots of drag with it looking forward to doing some surf hunting
getting in the water soon will revert back to the standard coil for that
as you say there will be less trash and more good stuff in there have noted the setting you advised for my Mk2
is there anything under the water you think i should be looking for tell tale signs hot spots to search?
thanks again for your knowledge of the Mk2
Adam :beers:

coxy34 said:
Thanks Gulf hunter
i managed to get hold of a copy of the book advanced water working techniques you told me about
great book :) not managed to come across the other one yet though secrets of the pros
its good to here from you again and hope you have had plenty of finds lately i know what you mean about the 10 x 14 coil
its not easy to use in water used it in a few pools had lots of drag with it looking forward to doing some surf hunting
getting in the water soon will revert back to the standard coil for that
as you say there will be less trash and more good stuff in there have noted the setting you advised for my Mk2
is there anything under the water you think i should be looking for tell tale signs hot spots to search?
thanks again for your knowledge of the Mk2
Adam :beers:

Hey Adam

You are welcome. The other book is by the same author and called "Water Hunting":Secrets of the Pros Finding Gold and Silver in the Water with a Metal Detector.
In the water, I look for guts, low spots and shell/rock exposures. I also will hunt for targets of density, like lead, coins, etc. If you are not getting these types of targets move on. Also refer to the, "GoldenOlde" as he has some interesting tips on there too and best of luck to ya mate. OBTW, BE SURE to coat the bottoms of your coils with Loctite Marine Epoxy. If you don't the stock epoxy will abraid through and you will be falsing and needing coil R&R. Get it done ASAP and apply one coat and sand and apply another the next day. Best to allow a full 24 hours cure time between coats, imo.

do you Recommend the Loctite Marine Epoxy. coil trick..... to all water machines or just the MK2...... as I just got the new Dual Field PI and after 3 hours of surf time .....the coil is already showing ware.

I've got to say that epoxy is the way to go except that it voids most of the warranties for some stupid reason. It doesn't make sense to fuss with sand getting into the coil cover when a little marine epoxy will solve the problem permanently. It works on all coils, all machines.

Cheers,

BDA