Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looks like its going to be another one of those kind of weeks.

George-CT

This was our hay stored here. We had been trying out these big 800 lb square bales that come in from NY. Easy to store, a lot less handling etc and the price was decent for this area. It was feeding our horses and quite a few others in the area. He lost his brand new Bobcat in it also that we used to load them with. At least it didn't spread to his cow barns. This building set off to the side. I suspect they will just erect a new steel building right on the same spot as the concrete should be fine. Hay is becoming a problem in this area, as less people are doing the small bales, and they have lost a lot of hay fields to housing, or were. Housing seems to have stopped in this area right now also. Much of our hay last year was cut to late because of the rain so the horses didn't like it that well so we had been selling it to goat farmers and using this new stuff. Oh well, one door closes, another one opens..

Here is the blurb on the news....... Geo-CT

Fire destroys Bolton dairy barn
Fire destroys Bolton dairy barn - by Jodi Latina

Posted Mar. 24, 2008
Updated 9:30 AM

Bolton (WTNH) _ Firefighters are on the scene of a fire that destroyed a 4,000 square foot barn at Rockland dairy farm.

The blaze broke out early this morning on South Road. The owners of the farm reported hearing a couple of explosions early this morning.

"They were sleeping at the time. They heard a couple of explosions and looked out the window and the fire was fully involved," Chief Jim Preuss of the Bolton fire department said.
"And are they ok?"
"They're ok. Of course they're very concerned and they're shook up at this time for their loss."

Because there are no hydrants in the area water has to be trucked to the scene from a nearby pond. Members of the Manchester fire department are assisting in putting out the fire.

The barn stored hay and farm equipment. The farm's cows were not in the barn, and there are no reports of anyone being injured from the fire.

South Road near the intersection of Route 44 was closed for a few hours, but was later reopened to traffic.

A crew from the Department of Environmental Protection is on the scene to check the water runoff for any chemicals from the farm equipment.

But I guess that is a dumb Canuck thing thinking that N.Y. city is the same as N.Y. state. We are lucky in that we have tons [literally] of hay up here. But many of the farmers are going to the large 1000 lb round or square bales. You need a machine toabbe able to feed them!!

calm seas

Mikie

Bobcat skid steer with the forks made just do handle these for stacking. Worked great.... I just load them on my trailer and pull them in the barn, used them up and get more so there was zero handling for us. Really liked it...

Yeah, thats a comon thought, but NY City is one small part of lower NY State. Upstate NY is really beautiful, all kinds of farms there, most just used for hay fields now. They truck is down here big time..... You would be amazed at the old farms in upstate NY. Great areas there for detector minded people.....Some of those old farms had some really beautiful homes. Many left to rack and ruin now. Not much work up in that area. There are a lot of big Throughbred farms up in that area. Excellent hunting also. Surprised me also, as I always just had NY City, the concrete jungle come into mind.

Geo

are picky about their hay,i think if you have hay fields with no weeds and stuff that give horses problems you get top dollar.i think some big horse outfits inspect the fields of the people they buy hay from.sorry to hear about the peoples loss.

horse does they get, I think it is called, Heaves. Bad stuff for their lungs....

n/t

barn itself but I doubt contents like hay. He did loose his new bobcat and another larger loader and the entire building and workshop.

He pushed out most of it this morning to the side. What hay they saved from flame, is junk, wet and smoke damage. I was surprised they didn't burn completely but they didn't. I found some more good round bales this afternoon so am good until first cutting. He will get a new barn out of it. That one had pretty much seen the monkey anyhow. From the looks they will erect right on the slab there if they let him. He was lucky, just off of there about 100 yards is 300 cows and one huge cow barn with all the automatic milking stuff. That would have really hurt him bad. He really enjoys his cows. He don't name them, but he knows every number of each one. Good guy, hard working for sure.

Geo

if they are racing them, they feed them the hot stuff, because they are asking them to do a lot. But if not, other than feeding the brood mares they eat what the same as any other horses. That expression, feeling their oats plays into that. They feed alfalfa if they are working them on the track or other eventing, but otherwise. they really don't need that hot food. We have had a lot of thoroughbreds off the track . They were fast by our standards, but not not track standards. On the track they were slugs in comparison to the others. We used them for eventing, jumpers even trail horses. A lot of it depends again on what you want to do. They get handled a lot but mostly the focus is to get them to run. I've seen a lot of them with no ground manners at all..... I like them. Beautiful animal..... Here is one I got for my daughter for Christmas one year. I got him for my wife, but he was a hand full so she gave him to Heidi who had a great time with him. Dreamer was his name.... Here is a picture of him..... The girl who bough him ended up training him for dressage and has done very well with him.

George-CT