Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for some cleaning tips

I'm new to MD and in need of some good cleaning tips for my finds, Which so far has been very little.
Found a little coinage and alot of junk, only started MD the past month or so. Haven't been able to get out
much til now as baseball umpiring is over for the summer.......

one to be an ump that posts here. Leslie in NS does also.

If you have non valuable coins - not collectible - they can easily be cleaned in a small rock tumbler. Put in a buinch, add play sand , soap & water, leaving an inch or so of air space.

If you find a valuable coin then let the buyer clean it. Even rubbing it out in the field will reduce it's value as you can easily scratch it. steve in so az

I will let my better coins soak in Olive oil for awhile, seems to work pretty good. It knocks most of the crud off and retains the natural patina.

There are different types of cleaning depending on what you want to clean.
Clad coins you can use a tooth brush under water and get them clean enough unless you are cleaning a large amount at a time then you may want a tumbler.

Better coins require a little more care. Never clean a key date coin! Let us know what items and we can better help.

God bless.

I live in maryland as well (all my life) and welcome to the forum. You will find a GREAT bunch of people here!
I am not a coin shooter, I hunt CW relics but do run across coins a lot. 100% vegetable oil is what I soak good coins in.
HH
Jay

Welcome to the forum and hope you do well in :detecting: and will have lots of coins to clean or sell.....like silver and gold! :)

God Bless! :angel:
Betty