Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Long Island Lighthouse...Boston Harbor

Ron J

Been awhile since i wrote something, so here goes... I have never actually been on Long Island, in Boston Harbor,but have seen it many times by boat. There is a bridge connecting it to the Mainland, built in the fifties, by the city of Quincy. (Same as /home of Presidents,, John Quincy Adams, whom are by the way, buried in tombs,in a church cellar in Quincy) The bridge is gated, as their is a prison/rehab located on the island, so the public is kept out, which $uck$.

I have some photos, which i took,last summer,when i took the grandkids on the Salem Ferry, to Boston. Recently i was talking to an old friend, Henry D. of Wilmington Ma., and asked if he had any Coast Guard related photos of when he was enlisted. He indeed did,and i can scan them. Well let me at them!

Here,i need to back track, a little...I first met Henry back in the sixties,when my hobby was collecting auto license plates,so its been a long friendship. I never knew or cared back then that he even was in the Coast Guard. I learned by accident about 10 yrs ago. A rather well off, customer, of mine at the Nissan dlr, a Mr. Barry Levine if i remember correctly,had been an 1983 ZX owner since purchased new, and serviced by my Service Dept. for many years. Hadn't heard from Barry for awhile,figured he traded the ZX for another make.

Out of the blue, Barry contacted me by phone,and he discussed through an unknown friend, that i was the guy to contact, if you wanted a vintage license plate. I wasn't really into it for awhile,but i told him i had a contact,and would ask the contact if he wouldn't mind if i had Barry contact him (Henry) directly if a gave his tel. number. Henry agreed, so i had Barry call him direct.

A few days later, Barry called me again, thanking me for Henry's Tel number. It turns out, Barry was stationed with Henry in the Coast Guard! He also acquired a vintage license plate for his Jaguar. What is also ironic, is i haven't seen Henry, for a few years,since i lost interest in classic cars. I recently had an Antique Mass. license plate,advertised on Craigslist for sale. Henry answered the ad, requesting he would purchase the plate, and signed the reply, Henry. I knew it was Henry D., right off the bat.He specializes in Single digit plates. I hadn't thought of him,before i ran the ad. I replied to Henry, who it was selling the plate,not to worry its his.

We finally hooked up last Saturday,and i have scanned the photo's he lent me. I knew he had rebuilt an old lighthouse/station on the Annisquam River in Gloucester,but didn't know about his time at Long Island till i got the photo's.

Well back to the story...........The original Long Island Light was built way back in1819! This, the current Lighhouse, was built in 1901 (Click on the pix for better views). This postcard was published between 1907 to 1915, so the lighthouse is pretty new when photographed.[attachment 80393 ScannedImage-54.jpg] This Light was in operation till 1982 before being deactivated by the Coast Guard. In 1985, the decision was revoked,and Henry D., with a couple other coasties were sent to refurbish the neglected Lighthouse. This must have been quite a project. The Light is built of brick, 52 feet in height.[attachment 80395 ScannedImage-31.jpg] Henry said they hauled the sand blaster,and other equipment by rope and pulley,with a Chevy Chevette pulling the rope![attachment 80398 ScannedImage-26.jpg][attachment 80396 ScannedImage-30.jpg] Here we are standing on the Lightdeck,viewing what was Deer Island Prison, back then. Now the Prison is long gone,replaced by a Sewage treatment plant. Here it appears, that Henry is taking a picture as though saying "goodbye" to the finished product. Lastly, the Light was refurbished one more time, in 1998,is presently still in operation, with its Solar Powered light, flashing White,every 2.5 seconds. As i mentioned, unfortunately, its not open to the Public. Rj

Small world at times ! Pretty neat how you three were intertwined unaware. Great old lighthouse too.......1819 ??......geez, who wouldn't want to detect a bit around those grounds. No doubt the old coins held up better than the Chevette. :lol:

would have thought it would still be around.small world between you,levine and henry.kind of neat you refer him to henry and it comes up the were in the coast guard together:).

so......they finally decided to call the prison by its proper name huh?:biggrin:
Nice photos and story.:clapping:

there are some beautiful old lighthouses on the great lakes and there are organizations keeping them in top shape. I have visited some of them and it is amazing what conditions some of the lighthouse keepers lived under and the total isolation some endured.

Thanks for the tour Ron!!:thumbup:

n/t

Those pictures remind me of an old lighthouse in Wisconsin that we went to see last year. Racine, I believe. It too was being restored and they allowed tours to the top only once a year. We were a couple of days late, but still a grand ole historical site to see.

Skip down to the 7 paragraph and you have some of the story... Quite a bit of history on these ships build of wood in the article. I found it very interesting. I wonder how much is left of it now. For sure, at low tide there is something left....

http://www.nps.gov/history/maritime/ltshipnhltheme.htm

Geo

Its jumped but towards the ending, the sounds you hear, I bet most inland folks have not. Even now, after all these years, I still love that sound of the fog horn and gulls. Geo

http://vsv.cape.com/~harharb/lightships.html

the clip is slow loading, but it will finally load, the sounds at the end are worth it..... I listend to those many a night. Southwest Ledge at the Mouth of New London Harbor, Race Rock Light, and North Dumpling. Music to my ears. I could hear them from my bedroom window.

going back to read it all and play the clip! That was nice of you to send it back to Ron, and to share it with us! :thumbup:!!! :)

in the background. Many a stormy night I used to go down on the shoreline at Watch Hill, RI where its exposed to open see. With the big surf pounding, with 20 foot waves, and Watch Hill Light barking, its really neat. Soon as the storm would stop, go detecting there. Lots of goodies get lost there all summer in the surf. It's about 6 miles of open beach. Fun place in summer. To be honest I spend more time there now in the winter after storms.

Here is a shot of a portion of the beach that extends from the light house on the point to the left for about 6 miles. All beach, all to open sea.... Each one of those dots on beach are people loosing goodies in that white surf.... George-CT