Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Location to Hunt

Since I'm rather new at this, but still enthusiatic enough to read everthing I can about metal detecting and dream about hitting the big "find", I've found that I could use alitte help folks. I moved to the Gold Country and figured I was where it's at, however is all I've managed to find is a hat full of new pennies. I've searched old creek banks, old roads and the wide spots along them, fields around historical sites (private property), the banks along lakes and a few old sites wher old building once stood and parks and baseball fields around the seats and I'll tell ya, if new pennies were worth dollars, I'd have paid for my MXT along time ago. Can you give me a few locations that I haven't thought of yet, perhaps something to keep me from putting my MXT on Ebay!

Hi, I replied to your other post on the MXT. Always be on the lookout for older parks, homesteads, fair grounds, schools the older the better, ball parks, beaches, campgrounds,the strips between the sidwalk and the streets etc. The possiblilties are nearly endless. Probably the biggest thing though is patience and persistence. Also, get to know your machine and hone your detecting skills to the point that you can get the most out of it. Hope this helps.
HH
BB

Be patient, it's good that you're learning to pinpoint, even if it is with those stinkin' Lincolns. I agree with BarberBill 100%.
Nancy

research is key since you are in a new area. Where in the Gold Country are you? Is that Clifornia gold country if so it should be good for newly deposited nuggets due to all the rain recently.

Everybody will you PLEASE tell me the exact locations of all the Civil war camps that you know of and have found :rofl:

JMorgan, how wonderful it must be to be you, knowing everything and never having to ask questions. Tell me, did you just wake up one morning and know everything there was to metal detecting?

Licn2chill, I feel your pain!! I have had my MXT for about a year. I do fine with coin shooting but not so good with prospecting. I also live in the gold country of Ca!!! There is supposed to be lots of the shiny stuff here!!! But I am learning that one needs to know the local history and how gold was extracted in that area to start your search. It seems to be a flat learning curve for me. Everyone has said to be patient and I believe them.....I know our first nugget is out there!!! PM me to see if we are near each other. I am heading out with a friend this Friday to try our luck in a known gold producing area. I know it does not mean that I will find anything but for me I am still learning. My bud and I will be searching an area where a mutual friend found a 5/8oz nugget just recently. Mind you he has over 20 years experience.....we don't!!! Stick with it!!! I have been told once you learn your machine and do your research the find is just around the next dry diggens!!!!! LOL -Sparky-

I have prospected and found alot of gold in southern CA. The first thing I learned is gold is always found where it's been found in the past, research your area, there is plenty of gold left just don't give up. If your detecting rocky areas look for quartz out crops then run your detector over every crack in the rocks, look at the area and detect all the lower ground around the out crop. If your detecting creek areas look for black sand deposits it will show up as iron on your VDI when you find that just keep tracking it, you will find gold.

Thanks Sparky and Tinpan, now that's the kind of help I was looking for. I recently came onto a huge piece of property that I got permission to hunt on, it has an old 1849 gold camp and creek running through it with a ton of history. Trying to decide where to hunt each time I go out there is fun too, I'm working around an old arrasta and barn right now and try to concentrate on artifacts in that spot, then when it gets hot, I move down to the creek. I'll keep in touch. Thanks again!

The more research, the better your finds will become. Knowledge is power. Check any local museums. Google 1850 maps of your area and state, shipping maps
I mean by wagon. old railroad maps. You have to think like your in the 1800.s. Most of this history wasn't documented well until the 1800's. Coin books will tell
you how coinage came together, our history. Find some old timers you can use as mentors, their usually glad to help once they git to know you. Hope this helped.

Don't give up on previous search sites. Just becaue you didn't get something one day doesn't mean you won't find something the next. If your're just finding pennies, perhaps you should reread your maunal or get the 'MXT Edge, a book that has more information to help you adjust your MXT. As far as old timers, I remember my grandmothers boyfriend (90's) talking about a boxing camp in town that was in operation in the 20 -30's. I knew of the area but never sought it out. The vegetation was so dense that it took several exploratory trips to finally locate it. I found the remains of two old houses, one with fireplace intact, two wells, stone barbecue pits and trash dumps. Sometimes MDing requires exploration before swinging a coil!
Mike

Thanks Mike, I have put quite a few hours in at the new place, but my best source of information is the great grandson of one of the original inhabitants, a fine old gentleman indeed. His storys match everything I've read in many of the books about the local history of this area, in fact one story he told me was "pure hogwash" and re-told it and it makes a lot more sense, that combined with his pointing out the gravesite of the person in question involved in the story up on the hillside only lends more creedance to an already great story.

With a site such as you have access to now you could charge fellow detectorists to work that site! Wow, count your blessings! Be methodical and cover it inch by inch and good luck!:detecting:

Whats worked good for me is find real old neighborhoods in your area and drive through them and look for empty house lots. I've been only THing for a little over a year now and found most of my good stuff in old empty house lots.