Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

LIVE site testing: Semi-Auto vs. Manual Sensitivity...

Steve(OR)

This is a follow-up to this thread: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1006917

All items (except the '63 Roosevelt) found at a high school built in the early 40's that I've hunted many, many times (over the last 2 years). The goal this time out was to...

... start out in my normal 'Manual - Maximum, yet stable' sensitivity setting,
... dig every "good" sounding target 6 inches or deeper,
... once I decided it was a digable target, I would switch to 'Semi-Auto 32' (SA32) sensitivity to see if I could
   ... actually hear the target
   ... and note any differences

Here's the results:

[attachment 133256 all.jpg]    [attachment 133257 dimes.jpg]

The best manual sensitivity I could muster was Manual 19.

All targets were 6-8 inches deep (except the '85 laying on top of the ground, and the 64 Memorial at 4 inches (sounded too good to leave in the ground))... in Manual 19, the tones all sounds good enough dig, and repeated from at least two different angles. The rusty bolt and the screwcap sound the best, and the Winged Liberties (for Erik in NJ  :thumbup:) the most "iffy" (one at 6 inches; the other 6+ inches).

When switched to SA32, I could hear ALL the targets. HOWEVER, the deeper tones were less distinct (softer and slightly weaker) then they were with the Manual setting. I backed away 5-6 coil widths and tested the targets again at normal sweep speed and found that to hear some of these targets, I would have to slow down quite a bit - especially with the deeper ones. In fact, I'm not sure I would have heard the rusty bolt at 7+ in SA32 - at my normal swing speed.

I don't believe any epiphany was obtained here, except for maybe I finally got it through my colossal cranium that going slow is a good thing (even slower then I have been going).

Anyway, for only about 100 minutes of hunting, AND my first 2 Mercs at this school, I'm pretty happy with this test. :happy:

SCM

Ive tested about every deep target ive dug in the past month or so. I agree a slower pase is needed in semi... but you get a distinct modulation much like changeing the gain to 7. You also dont get the ground noise. You can deffently over swing a target in semi.... you can tell by a hit you might get at the end of a swing instead of over the target. Ive about got those rusty bolts down, but they can be a real pain much like deep screw caps.

Dew