Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Little Windy Today

Royal

I have placed four cashes around Marl Lake. It is a beautiful area and has a nice trail. The lake is shallow and in the summer it is common to see deer, eagles and osprey on a hike.

It is a good hike if you do all the cashes. From the parking lot to the farthest one is a 4.8 mile round trip and it is a fun hike.

A lady went out to find my cashes a few days ago and she found them but she commented that Royal#6 wa probably going to be hard to find when the snow gets deep. It was on the ground under a log and I had not thought about that. I decided I would go out and relocate it the next chance I had. I got up this morning and it was snowing. I looked at the weather forcast and saw that we will be getting snow every day for the rest of this week and next week too.

It was snowing pretty hard and the wind was really a blowing when I left for the lake. It is only about 8 miles from here to the lake but I had to go into 4WD in a lot of places, not really for the snow but there is a lot of ice on the road.

The house here is in a low area, not swampland by a long shot as the property drops about 80 ft at the back but it is in river valley. The weather is much different here from the town many times and the town is only 3.5 miles away.

I pulled out onto the highway and that wind was sure a blowing, I went into town and took care of a little business and headed for the lake, wondering if it was a good day for it.

I drove to the lake and parked. I could hardly see across the dang lake, the wind was blowing the snow so hard. I looked out on the lake and there were huge gusts of snow bluring the far shore.

[attachment 74177 IMG_4119.jpg]

[attachment 74179 IMG_4120.jpg]

The trail runs along the right hand shore and and I turned on the GPS and with camera in hand headed out. It was a nice walk. The wind was just a howling but the trail is protected from the worse of it.

I only saw this little guy on the hike. He was huddled up on the branch and fluffed up to ward off the cold air. I saw him when I was headed to the cashe but as soon as I got the camera out he took off. I had a peanut in my pocket and just tossed it over toward the tree and set off again.

I finally found the cashe and it was getting covered with snow. It is a good thing I went out today. I pulled it out and started looking for another hide. I wanted somewhere up off the ground but not some real simple hide. It is very rough walking back in the wood s in that area, not because of the rough ground but because of all the dead branches that constantly slap you in the face. I had to break them off to make any headway. I had forgotten to bring gloves, like the dummy I am.

Like I said, that wind was really a blowing. There are a lot of dead trees in that area and suddenly I heard a loud crack and the sound of a big tree coming down. It was close enough that I froze and tried to see if something was headed my way but it was off a bit. Then another one came down and I decided it was time to get this thing hid and get out of the woods.

I finally found a place to hide the cashe in the crotch of a tree. It was where several limbs come out and since I had the cashe camofaged it was almost invisible. I then stumbled around and found a limb that I could prop up in a natural way and hide it better. It looked good. I checked the GPS and let it average and caught the numbers. I headed back toward the truck.

As I neared the area I saw the red squirrel I got the camera out and walked slowly. There he was again, in the same place. I took a series of pictures of him as I approached wanting to make sure I got at least one picture of him. He cooperated this time. Maybe he found the peanut. He did not have it with him so he probably had not found it.

[attachment 74176 IMG_4118.jpg]

[attachment 74180 IMG_4131.jpg]

I finally got back to my truck and headed home. After I got home the snow really started coming down and it is still snowing out there. Winter seems to be here for sure

No where near the wind you have, but it is cold enough for me. The dogs are having a ball chasing the mice that are scurrying under the blanket of snow. When thyu get the scent, they tear off with their noses in the snow and you can see a little rooster tail of snow by their noses as they run.

Time to think about buttoning up for the winter though. :)

calm seas

Mikie

this winter that I will be hold up in the house. Today was not a bad day. I just can not wait for a 10 or 15 inch snowstorm :(

and to think I was bitchin about a little rain!

n/t

It is very difficult for me to grasp what it would be like to live in an area where it snowed every winter...an area with many large animals too! Did the lady that found your four hidden treasures live near you? Do you folks keep a log of all the treasure sites of where you found the hidden treasure?

On a separate note, do you ever see your pet squirrel? Thanks for posting this interesting story, I liked it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have no idea where they live, some do live in Roscommon but I have not met them. It is just another reason to get out and enjoy the out of doors.

I have not seen the squirrel all this year for sure. There are a lot of them around but none approach me. He probably moved on or got killed.

As we find a cashe we go to the web site and log it

circling Rosecomon Royal for the next 4 months and the retreat north...... I hope we don't get it but I'm seeing it the forcast a few times in the next week here.

Good thought about moving them higher up so they don't get buried in the snow. I usually hide mine somewhere in a stone wall around these parts so they can get at them. They still might get buried but at least the stones don't freeze in solid. Usually I put them on the south side of the wall so they melt faster and not get the full coverage of a nor-easter. Magnetic key holders are good for micros also as you can stick them on anything metal around town. A little spray paint the match the background and you can have them hunting them all winter. They put them in almost all the commuter parking areas around here. I like them for fast grabs. Usually they are stuck on the back of a fence pole or bumper curb. Winter, ya take what you can get at....

Boy that lake looks nasty and wind swept. You guys get it a worst than we do. Only down side here is the dampness that comes with the cold., just penetrates the body everywhere. Do you ever go snowshoeing in the winter or cross country skiing? I have the cross country skis and the small bear paw snow shoes. Easy to walk with and fun plus ads to the excersize factor.

Winter I take a cellphone, matches, foil blanket and small can of sterno heat. Not likely to get really lost here but if you got hurt or broke and ankle could be a problem. They could sure track me with the snow and I usually leave Geocaching.com on the site I'm going to or a list of them with one showing....

You need a dog sled up there. You could be practicing for the Ididderod .

Thanks for pictures, good stuff.

Geo

n/t

a couple years ago we went to a friends house for an evening. I had just cleaned the drive. We left around 6;30 or so I guess. When we got home at 11;00 there was over 11 inches of show on the drive. I measured it.

It snowed the rest of the night too.

Mary likes to cross country ski. I try it but it is pretty pitiful to see. It sure is good exercise though

I always take the cell any time i go in the woods. You never know what will happen.

but it will not be long before they are locked in. That lake is only abut three ft deep at its deepest. It freezes to the bottom in most places. There are nice Pike and Bass in it during the summer but they back out to the cut river, that runs through the northeast end for the winter.

There are many places on that lake that you can not get through with a kayak! The water birds love it though

i know what you got to look forward to for the next several months:razz: We are getting one of our occassional snowfalls now. 6 inches yesterday and maybe 8 more today/tonight. You can have that stuff, i got real tired of it 20 years back :biggrin:
Our snow will be gone in a week or so if this stupid "global warming" would kick in!

was snow, I kinda looks like a desert sand storm! Gorgeous Photos, Royal! Bet the squirrel was glad to see you too. One of these days I am coming up there and we will take this little hike. It really sounds beautiful around there! :)

I have done it in the middle of the winter. I wrote about it a year or so ago. I had no clue how far it was and it was a total of about 6 miles the way I went, in snowmobile suit and boots. I was sure happy when that day was over.

Here are some I took just before the snow when I was hiding cashes out there. It is an easy walk, no hills at all!!

[attachment 74373 IMG_4093.jpg]

[attachment 74374 IMG_4077.jpg]

[attachment 74375 IMG_4089.jpg]

[attachment 74376 IMG_4094.jpg]

[attachment 74377 IMG_4095.jpg]

[attachment 74378 IMG_4096.jpg]

it would be a great hobby. Do you leave clues, or exact GPS markings? Do they leave something in return? :)