Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Little house in the big woods ? (Part 1 and Part 2)

Dan-MO

Freds post about coyotes reminded me of a few encounters I have had with the critters over the years,I thought you all might want to hear about them.

My family and I moved back home to Southern Missouri in April of 1991 after spending several years away.When we came home we were able to buy a little 3 bedroom fixer upper house with 20 acres of land in a very secluded location.With lots of help from friends and family we made the place into a cozy little house.Both of our chidren were still young and living at home,and in time,we created some memories that turned the house into home.

The house and property was located 20 miles from the nearest small town-more than 10 miles off the nearest blacktop road.Our nearest neighbor was 2 miles away.The front of the house faced the gravel road but we seldom used the front door.The back door opened into a open patio that ran the length of the house . When you stepped off of the patio and walked 50 feet or so straight back,you entered the woods.Most of our 20 acres was wooded and was bordered by the national forest that consisted of thousands of acres of wilderness-if you walked straight back behind our home you entered woodlands that stretched for over 100 miles-with a very few scattered houses.While it was not wilderness like Mike and Wayne are accustomed to,it was about as close as you can come to it in Missouri.

Wildlife was plentiful. We could see deer,turkeys, and small game nearly everyday right outside our window.Bobcats were a fairly common sight.I saw the only wild bear I have ever seen in the woods behind our house on one early fall evening. I found bear tracks in the mud many times.Coyotes were THICK.

When we first came home,I had got a little fuzzy pup for the kids that was half German Shepard and half Chow.He grew up to be a large dog and a part of the family.He lived his life free,roaming the woods and guarding the house.His name was Bow.

Bow absolutely hated coyotes and spent his long life doing battle with them.He had the scars to prove it too! But Bow was no fool,he picked his battles wisely.A lone coyote crossing the yard at night was fair game and the fight would be on if he could catch it.On the other hand,a pack of coyotes howling on the edge of the woods at night would send old Bow onto the porch as close to the door leading into the house as he could get.Bow knew when to hold em and when to fold em! One night,they followed him onto the porch.....

We heard the coyotes singing every night when we went to bed.Some nights they were far off in the woods,some nights they would come into the yard.For anyone who has never heard coyotes hunting or feeding,they can make some sounds that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.They can also make a LOT of noise.2 can sound like 6 and a pack of 6 can sound like there are 20 of them.

Late one night I was awakened by some of the most God awful sounds you ever heard.It sounded like every coyote in the country was having a convention on my back porch.There were growls and snarls and yips and yaps mixed in with the yelps and growls of Bow as he did his best to tear the back door down!

I jumped out of bed and grabbed a pump 20 gauge shotgun and raced to the back porch.Stepping out onto the porch I nearly tripped on Bow who was very glad to see me.There were 3 large coyotes ON the porch not more than 10 feet from where I stood! At least 3 more waited just off the porch.None of them showed much fear of me until the 870 pump began to speak.I blasted the first one at point blank range and sent him to wherever good coyotes go.I rolled a second one as they headed for the woods and burned a third one just before they got into the woods.

At this point old Bow must have temporarily gone insane because he did one of the few foolish things I ever saw him do.With a mighty roar he set off into the dark woods after the departing coyotes.I muttered something to the effect of

Coming on the porch is a bit much!

My buddy Dave had a bear on his front porch last summer. THe dang windows were open and it could have come right in. A few months ago another one was standing at his back doorwall, off the dining room!!

That is getting a bit too friendly!

Take your time and write as long a story as it takes. :super:

I have enjoyed this first part of your story and look forward to the next part. I had to laugh when you told about the dog heading for the house with two coyotes after him. Thanks for sharing this with the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have no experiences with coyotes, but they seem much much worse than the timber wolves we have here. They are more loners and not as agressive from my experiences.

Can't wait for part two.

to get them coyotes to follow him so's ya could blast em! :lol:

Great story! Don't think I'd want coyotes on my porch!

Dave

He figured that he would bring a few more back to you for some 'care'. Our problem is the russells. They figure they can take on coyotes. So when I hear them singing too close, I step outside and fire a couple of rounds in their direction. That sends them off for a while.

Sunny skies

M

i've seen two on the property, both alone,one about 9 o'clock at night,the other in the middle of the afternoon,both alone.there's a spot i dump peelings and some table scraps and small animals and dogs come by sometime to check it out along with the occasional buzzard or crow.

both times the never showed any fear,the one at night was loping up the trail i've created where i do my daily walking,and i caught him in the flashlight i was carrying,he just changed directions and never missed a beat,ready for part two.

Freds post about coyotes reminded me of a few encounters I have had with the critters over the years,I thought you all might want to hear about them.

My family and I moved back home to Southern Missouri in April of 1991 after spending several years away.When we came home we were able to buy a little 3 bedroom fixer upper house with 20 acres of land in a very secluded location.With lots of help from friends and family we made the place into a cozy little house.Both of our chidren were still young and living at home,and in time,we created some memories that turned the house into home.

The house and property was located 20 miles from the nearest small town-more than 10 miles off the nearest blacktop road.Our nearest neighbor was 2 miles away.The front of the house faced the gravel road but we seldom used the front door.The back door opened into a open patio that ran the length of the house . When you stepped off of the patio and walked 50 feet or so straight back,you entered the woods.Most of our 20 acres was wooded and was bordered by the national forest that consisted of thousands of acres of wilderness-if you walked straight back behind our home you entered woodlands that stretched for over 100 miles-with a very few scattered houses.While it was not wilderness like Mike and Wayne are accustomed to,it was about as close as you can come to it in Missouri.

Wildlife was plentiful. We could see deer,turkeys, and small game nearly everyday right outside our window.Bobcats were a fairly common sight.I saw the only wild bear I have ever seen in the woods behind our house on one early fall evening. I found bear tracks in the mud many times.Coyotes were THICK.

When we first came home,I had got a little fuzzy pup for the kids that was half German Shepard and half Chow.He grew up to be a large dog and a part of the family.He lived his life free,roaming the woods and guarding the house.His name was Bow.

Bow absolutely hated coyotes and spent his long life doing battle with them.He had the scars to prove it too! But Bow was no fool,he picked his battles wisely.A lone coyote crossing the yard at night was fair game and the fight would be on if he could catch it.On the other hand,a pack of coyotes howling on the edge of the woods at night would send old Bow onto the porch as close to the door leading into the house as he could get.Bow knew when to hold em and when to fold em! One night,they followed him onto the porch.....

We heard the coyotes singing every night when we went to bed.Some nights they were far off in the woods,some nights they would come into the yard.For anyone who has never heard coyotes hunting or feeding,they can make some sounds that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.They can also make a LOT of noise.2 can sound like 6 and a pack of 6 can sound like there are 20 of them.

Late one night I was awakened by some of the most God awful sounds you ever heard.It sounded like every coyote in the country was having a convention on my back porch.There were growls and snarls and yips and yaps mixed in with the yelps and growls of Bow as he did his best to tear the back door down!

I jumped out of bed and grabbed a pump 20 gauge shotgun and raced to the back porch.Stepping out onto the porch I nearly tripped on Bow who was very glad to see me.There were 3 large coyotes ON the porch not more than 10 feet from where I stood! At least 3 more waited just off the porch.None of them showed much fear of me until the 870 pump began to speak.I blasted the first one at point blank range and sent him to wherever good coyotes go.I rolled a second one as they headed for the woods and burned a third one just before they got into the woods.

At this point old Bow must have temporarily gone insane because he did one of the few foolish things I ever saw him do.With a mighty roar he set off into the dark woods after the departing coyotes.I muttered something to the effect of

Where we are now must be similar to where you were. At least 3 times a week, we hear those suckers singing . And they are none too shy about coming close to us. At least until I put a round or two after them..

Many thanks

Calm seas, sunny skies

M

The coyote that stalked you almost sounds like what is known as a Coy Dog...very aggressive and dangerous! This was a great story, possibly the best one that you have ever written on the Forum. Thanks for sharing it, and please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

had much experience with Coyote but heard a few and seen a few. Nothing up close and personal though.

You paint a great picture with your words. Thanks

a fly on the wall in that hog house. Bet ole Bow really took that coyote to task judging by the hasty exit :lol: Those are some great memories of good times with a friend and companion. Thanks for sharing Dan.

Dave

Makes me drift back to an eariler time. I really enjoyed the post.

Wish I had something to write these days, but the well is temporarily dry. <><

aj