Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Little boats big fish....cont.

Wayne in BC

The fight with the powerful fish went on and on with my buddy gaining a little line with great effort, then losing it all and more as the brute sounded. We had drifted off the bank after 1/2 an hour and were now in 440 feet of water and the critter was hugging the bottom, i was concerned because we would soon find much deeper water and the pressure against that length of line is magnified and can be nearly doubled by the current pressure over that distance. It was 100 lb test on that rod, i had given it to him to compensate for inexperience (and dave expensive tackle:D) as you could straighten out even a large hook if it snagged bottom.

It was time for plan B........starting the kicker motor and instructing him to hold tight, giving only enough line to hold even, i began to ease out and away from the powerful fish, getting more angle to help get his head up as it was near impossible to lift the thing straight up as a Halibut is so wide and flat. After a few minutes the angle and heavy pressure began to tell as he gained line a little, then more. Losing 50 ft then gaining 75, it took another half hour on top of the hour or so we had already spent on the fight.

My buddy had such sore arms and shoulders that he was nearly begging me to take over but i refused, saying......if i were to help and it got away, well i would never hear the end of it.....suffer buddy, you just know i'm not THAT dumb!:lol:

Finally i saw, in the clear water, a large triangular shape, dang! TRIANGULAR! I muttered some really uncomplimentary language about the fish's ancestry and my buddy, now very puzzled said.....huh? I told him then that he did not have a giant trophy Halibut but a danged Skate! It was hooked in one "wing" and the combination of its size 80+ lbs as well as being side hooked had fooled me into thinking "Halibut":cry:

Well we finally got him to the boat and tied him to the stern, my buddy was actually real pleased as he happened to like eating Skate and had caught the largest fish of his life. We fished for another couple hours getting three nice eating sized Halibut and a couple Nice Yellow eye Rockfish. Now we had to pull that beast, now dead, into the boat where there was barely room. We managed and headed home, tired, happy and pleased :) Oddly this was not the biggest fish he had ever hooked, in a fluke (pun intended) happening, the first time i took him ocean fishing in 1976 he hooked a giant Halibut in an area where it was unlikley and that is another story:D
Here is the critter! .[attachment 9799 scan0001.jpg]

Then I saw the eyes.. Never even seen one diving wayne. Was it like pulling a log?? Or was there some fight to it? I don't guess that they thrash around too much.

Good story!! Only the picture took up almost 2 pages in width!!!! :)

calm seas, fair winds

M

wins the "ugliest critter" contest!!! Is it considered to be a fish, or what???

Great story, and I can see how it might be very hard to catch! :)

What is wrong with them? Are they considered a game fish? Considering the size of the boat, have you ever had any close calls because of weather? A fish that size could feed a family for a long time. I have never caught a fish that big, and would imagine that I would be in hog heaven! Thanks for posting the story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

their flesh tastes quite like scallops, and sometimes is made into "fake" scallops. I have seen Skate wings for sale at the fish shops. We sure got lots off that one. Yes i believe they are considered gamefish.
We have had a few rough rides but none that we felt we were in danger, other than our rumps developing some bruises. It is unfortunately common to have some rough water, 4-5 ft waves and chop, more annoying and uncomfortable than dangerous. The swells, sometimes topping 12 ft are usually wide spaced and just give you a ride, uuup and dddown:D When a REAL storm comes in......we are home or on shore watching.
All the best
Wayne

those Skate are scrappers, can fight hard and go to 200 lbs! He hooked it in the edge of the wing, which made it way worse, sorta like hooking a Salmon in the "pec" fin and trying to get him in sideways:D
Wayne

n/t