Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

List of NC islands-- Go / No Go (aka "to jail")

sookie

I've heard mention( here on findmall ), some of the islands off NC are off-limits for metal detecting. Any ideas who to call

to find which ones are ok?. thanks

Here is a link that may help you for the mid and upper parts of the coast

http://www.outerbanksnc.net/detect.htm

For the southern parts of NC from Jacksonville to Little River are all clear.
You can detect the State Parks ( eg... Hammock's State Park & Ft. Fisher) with beaches only but there are rules,
you may only detect the surf areas, from water to high tide line.

Where are you going?

Eric from NC said:
Here is a link that may help you for the mid and upper parts of the coast

http://www.outerbanksnc.net/detect.htm

For the southern parts of NC from Jacksonville to Little River are all clear.
You can detect the State Parks ( eg... Hammock's State Park & Ft. Fisher) with beaches only but there are rules,
you may only detect the surf areas, from water to high tide line.

Where are you going?

I am curious as to why some of these places have been shut down to MD?

Some beaches are considered a "National Seashore" and the state parks have restrictions too. At Ft. Fisher, I used to go metal detecting there all the time and left it better than I found it, however the state or the people who run things believe we are "stealing" national treasures. Like musket balls and the sort are a valuable treasure, cool stuff, but not worth putting someone in jail. I do know that the fort is almost gone due to erosion and they want to keep it around so I understand. Cape Hatteras I have no idea. There is so much there to get and again I believe the government feels that people would be "stealing" national treasures.
I would love to find this stuff, just for kicks and turn it in, well most of it. Spanish silver & gold among other things of interest are there. I had my detector taken from me and threatened with a fine and given a citation at Hammocks State Park, they said it was not allowed. I did my homework before I went and printed the rules from their website that stated the contrary. They gave me back my detector and tore up my citation. I detected again and found nothing. Oh well, would have been great to find something of value right in front of them but....

I do know if you are detecting in say Ft. Fisher Park and find Civil War items you are to turn those in. To keep in their good graces I took some a cannon ball and some musket balls that I had found years before and turned them in to them. They don't hassle me anymore and have give me calls when people have lost a ring etc. Keeping in their good graces has made my life easier and I have returned several rings and jewelry items to their owners and made some money too.

Eric

Thanks for the reply

hi eric , thanks for the information on fort fisher . im new to this site and really enjoy the articles and the pictures .i hunt the holden beach area . and i thought with the signs up at the beach at ft fisher ,that i could,nt detect . ive hunted in va for civil war relics for years nothing like it.all it takes is finding that first bullet . take care and happy hunting . ncbeachbum..

Not worth your time to detect there, its OK and gives up a bit of change and the occasional ring but is mostly slow, but you never know. PM me maybe we can get together.

hi eric , you,re sure right about holden being a family beach and the slim pickens . over the (years)i have found about 15 rings and a few watches . thanks for the invite , but due to health problems i can,t search to long . breathing problems . copd and emphazema . my brother and i still go for an hour or so . good luck in your hunting , ncbeachbum