Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lightship Finale..... The "NEW BEDFORD"

Ron J

When i asked the gentleman that was on the deck of the Nantucket I, what's the where abouts of the "NEW BEDFORD" he informed me "she was scrapped last June!", i was quite surprised,and sad to here of her demise! I don't mind telling you,i really that that $ucked! Big time! :ranting: I had an idea,that would happen...a real Bummer!! I was very fortunate to visit New Bedford last April,and got to snap a few pics,from a distance. These were taken from the Fish Pier,by me. I really feel lucky to have taken them ! Last time i would ever see her! [attachment 70847 newbedford033.jpg][attachment 70848 newbedford035.jpg][attachment 70849 newbedford045.jpg] I had read a couple of months earlier,that she had been in tough shape,and had been partly submerged,half sunk really.[attachment 70853 08k.jpg] (Note: this was not my photo,was posted on line by www.southcoasttoday.com in an articles by Brian Farga) (If this is not the proper way to post this photo,i apologize,and will remove it.) Everyone pointed fingers to everyone else,as usual. The City of New Bedford owned her,and paid almost $200,000 to raise her to the point i had seen her in. No one stepped up to help,but of course everyone but the City,wanted to save her. The City had no money to allocate for this,but i think new she was becoming a huge liability if she sunk again. I don't know why no one had her pulled out of the river,of course this meant,more $$$$. [attachment 70850 newbedford034.jpg] This orphaned vessel was built in 1930,length 133.3 feet,with a beam of 30'. Built in Oregon,made of steel,two masts with two lanterns. Her speed was only ten knots,powered by Diesel-electric,with a 5' 10" propeller. Designated LV 114/WAL 536. She was the FIRST Lightship to travel from the west coast,thru the Panama Canal,to the east coast. From 1930 to 1942,performed duty at New York, (Fire Island Station), during the War, she served as an examination vessel. After the War,moved to North Carolina,as "DIAMOND SHOAL", 1947 to 1958 served as "RELIEF" in the northeast coast. Next became the "POLLOCK RIP" off the coast of Massachusetts, later sent to Maine till 1971 as the "PORTLAND", finally decommissioned in May 1971. Was on hold,the C.G. planned on using her as a C.G. Museum,but never happened. In 1975, her ownership was transferred to the City of New Bedford,and then marked "NEW BEDFORD" In the 80's became a National Landmark? Are you kidding? So for 30 years,she sat proudly,but neglected!! How could this happen to a "National Landmark"? $$$$$$ Word has it, the "City" has the artifacts from her,"stored" somewhere,but seems a mystery of there whereabouts. The same company that raised her, for almost $200,000 was the only bidder,and bought her for $1775.00 for scrap. Scrap her they did,in June 2007. The artifacts consisted of portholes,the beacon,foghorns,and whistle,all unique items. The Coast Guard Heritage Museum in Barnstable inquired about the artifacts,but got the "shoe shine shuffle"! VERY SAD IN DEED! :veryangry: If you wish to see pictures of the "NEW BEDFORD" being cut-up go to www.flickr.com hit search,and look for photos by CMIPER . They are incredible! Thats all Folks!! Hope you enjoyed the trip ! Rj

to save this ship. I would think that they could have had some fun raisers, or found some rich person to help restore the ship and turn it into some type of tourist attractions and etc. It is sad that so many old ships are being sold for scrap or left to rot away. Ron, thanks for letting me know what happened to that historical old boat. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Everything today seems to based on $$$$$$$$. If they can't make a buck on it, its disposable. I would have thought with all the history and storms it at seen, that that ship would have had a lot of stories to past on that the public wold have enjoyed. Thats part of our sea history, yet no one stepped up to the plate. I wonder why they never followed up on this.. http://nantucketlightship.com/nlshome.html

Or even this one.. http://www.uscglightshipsailors.org/new_nantucket_009.htm

My personal favorite http://www.uscglightshipsailors.org/nantucket_lightship_station_history.htm

You would think any of these ventures would pay off. School kids along as groups would love this stuff and what a way to learn history.

George-CT

n/t

n/t