Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lighthouse and Sisters .... part 4 Nantucket II .....

Ron J

Before leaving New Bedford, i had inquired as to the where abouts of the "NEW BEDFORD" lightship, and learned some bad news,,but thats in another chapter,if you can stand reading all this! I now headed to Rte 6 towards Buzzards Bay. Figured a 45 minute ride or so. Nice scenic route,i have never taken before. On the other end at Bourne, i have always turned short of heading to New Bedford,onto 495 to "fly" home. So this was new to me. Coming to a small seaside village,i entered Wareham. A quaint little town,with the "old downtown" look,many busy storefronts,restaurants etc. On the other side of town,i turned left a light,over a bridge,across a small river. Too the right was a view fishing boats,or cuddycabins, but just over the bridge,on the right,i couldn;t believe my eyes,i thought, what a present surprise! The "NANTUCKET II" tied to a dock. Holy Crap! I banged a right,onto a side street,to eyeball her from across the river. She was moored in front of what looked like an abandoned boat/lumber? yard.[attachment 70753 WarehamNantuckert2053.jpg] Boy oh boy! This was my day! Seeing both I and II in the same day! I always knew there were two Nantucket's. Had seen them both twenty yrs ago,in Boston,sitting idle,but not near each other,or not very accessible on land. I also had no idea where the II had disappeared too? I drove back over the bridge,banged a right,and parked within distance. I still could not believe this.... Berthed at the (looking abandoned) Wareham Steamship Corp. was this beauty! (to me anyway) There looked like a public walkway,but in disrepair,enough there was the yellow tape,saying do not cross, ya right! Bull$heet! I was gonna get close-ups of this baby,no matter if i got physically booted out! [attachment 70754 WarehamNantuckert2078.jpg] Heres a stern shot..[attachment 70755 WarehamNantuckert2058.jpg] By the way,this is where i found those two duckboats,sitting in the overgrown lot.Notice she has a single mast/lamp? [attachment 70756 WarehamNantuckert2055.jpg][attachment 70757 WarehamNantuckert2060.jpg]

This vessel has alot of history of course! Also built in Maryland, as WLV113 in 1952. Originally placed on duty in New York,as the "AMBROSE" from 1952 to 1967. Then transferred to duty in Massachusetts 1967 to 1979 as the "RELIEF" vessel. In 1979 to 1983,served as the "NANTUCKET SHOALS" The I and II served 3 week "tours" of duty,alternating with crews. Decommissioned in 1985 also,being replace by LNB's = LARGE NAVIGATIONAL BUOYS. Unmanned lighted buoys,to stand sentry,guarding ships from some hazards of the oceans. Sold in 1984,to New England Historic Seaport, for a floating Museum in Boston. Also made an appearance at the re dedication of the Statue of Liberty ceremony in 1986! Somewhere the floating museum,ran into financial problems,i assume,and was sold to its current owner, the Wareham Steamship Corp. She was operational as of 1999, and refurbished? Paint looks extremely flat to me, but at least she exists!! There are conflicting reports of only between 12 to 15 lightships left in the U.S. in various hands. Seems like sooner or later, financial situations put these historic vessels in dangerous waters. They are not inexpensive to maintain,even if you have free dockage! DON'T THINK I WASN"T TEMPTED TO BOARD HER!! :unsure: More to come!! [attachment 70765 NantucketNo.1067.jpg]

what is a single mast/lamp? It appears to me that there are three legs holding up the lamp. Also, Ron, you mentioned the small town with the store fronts and etc., is there some way that you could post a picture of the town or towns?

You said "i had inquired as to the where abouts of the "NEW BEDFORD" lightship, and learned some bad news." What is the bad news? Is it gone, sunk somewhere? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the Nantucket I has two masts,with a light on each. This vessel only has the one lamp,and a large one at that. Notice it resembles a lighthouse. Sorry i didn't photograph the town,but something i shall do in the future! I shall write a finale regarding the "NEW BEDFORD" tues. eve. Fred. :D An Author, (i use that word loosely) keeps his readers, wondering whats next, right? Thanks for your interest! I enjoy sharing the info,and photo's!

They were floating on a surface of mercury. Virtually no resistance and no maintainance. But dangerous.

Calm seas

Mikie

n/t

your photos are always great! And you were talking about the downtown area being re-done,.......I think people are doing this all over. In Little Rock, it is the same way. All the storefronts have been given a face lift, with lots of pubs and restrurants. We even have the downtown Trolley there. All of this is right on the banks of the Arkansas River. Pretty neat place to visit. :)