Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lighthouse and Sister Lightships part two...

Ron J

My goal to stop in New Bedford, was for a couple of reasons, one to hopefully see if the Lightship "New Bedford" was still floating, (it had sunk last Dec.,and raised) and secondly to hit a couple of antique stores! When i arrived, it was too early for the antique store to be open,so i immediately headed to the docks! First thing to catch my eye,was the schooner, "Ernestina". Located so close,anyone could get all the photos they wanted. She is open to the public,with a guide.[attachment 70582 NantucketNo.1030.jpg] She was built in 1894 in Essex, Ma. (20 minute ride from my house) and named "Effie M Morrissey",sailed the Grand Banks,out of Gloucester,and is the LAST surviving Gloucester fishing schooner! Same type used in the 1930's movie,with Spencer Tracy, "Captains Courageous". In 1926,thru 1946,she explored the Artic,for museums,zoos,and science,and is one of two SAILING vessels, remaining that performed that feat! Her other claim to fame,is she was also one of the last Sailing vessels to bring immigrants to the U.S.A. (legally)[attachment 70583 WarehamNantuckert2035.jpg][attachment 70584 WarehamNantuckert2037.jpg] Placed in front of this fine vessel, is a memorial for the brave men,who served aboard Lightships,and lost their lives,to Hurricanes,storms or collisions! [attachment 70585 NantucketNo.1022.jpg] Inscribed on all four sides are the names of these brave men.[attachment 70586 NantucketNo.1025.jpg][attachment 70587 NantucketNo.1023.jpg] While taking photos of these two gems, i spotted what i thought i had come to see, the "New Bedford",docked behind the schooner?? WOW! Couldn't wait to walk the short distance to the end of that dock! Didn't know if i was allowed through those gates,but i was going anyway! Couldn't get near her during my last visit,only seen her in the distance last Spring. Coming up next...Lightship!!

How did a boat like this explore the Artic? It looks too small for something like that. Also, would you tell us more about those lightships? I do not think that we ever had those down on the Gulf Coast of Texas. This was enjoyable and I look forward to the next story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

how often do they take it out to clean the hull or do they have divers do it? Hard to imagine long ocean voyages in those!