Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lighthouse and Sister Lightships..... part 3A ----- More Nantucket I

Ron J

[attachment 70667 WarehamNantuckert2048.jpg] [attachment 70666 WarehamNantuckert2034.jpg]I have neglected to mention,what a Lightships duties were! First they were put into service as far back as the 1800's. Where there were major sea lanes, with dangerous rocks,or shoals, it was the duty of a Lightship, to be placed close to the danger,and be secured in one spot,marking the way for safe passage for countless ships,and millions of people,immigrating to this country. These vessels had beacons,actually floating lighthouse's! The vessel,and her crew were in constant danger themselves,specially in fog! They were supplied with foghorns,but that didn't mean,it could be heard! More than one Lightship went down,being rammed, or going down in a hurricane,or squall. Imagine climbing one of those masts,prior to electricity,to keep oil lamps burning,during a storm? Brave souls! Remember, Radar only exists since the forties! The only "radar" prior to its existence,was a look out on a tower/mast,or in the pilot house,with his own eyes,and ears,watching with Binoculars,or Telescope! Here are close-ups of her lights...[attachment 70663 WarehamNantuckert2041.jpg] [attachment 70664 WarehamNantuckert2044.jpg] [attachment 70665 WarehamNantuckert2045.jpg] Figured i would throw this photo in also...Its the opening in the Storm Gates, I wrote about this awhile back,about New Bedford, looks like a dam. Hope they never need to use it! The Nantucket I was originally sent to San Francisco in 1951,and was named " BLUNT REEF" for duty there.Next in 1971,back through the Panama Canal,to a new station,in Maine,where she would now become "PORTLAND" till 1975. Then in 1975,was transferred to Massachusetts,and acquired here current name,retiring as a Lightship, in 1983. She was then painted white,and sent to the Caribbean serving as a refueling platform for the Coast Guard,for about a year. Next she was sent to Kennebunk Maine,to serve as a Sentry ship,for then "Vice-President" George Bush,at his Summer Home. This "Summer" home is still guarded by the Secret Service today! Its a large peninsula, with quite a compound of dwellings. Retired President Bush still resides there,and keeps his large forty something foot, Blue, Fountain speed boat, with "Fidelity Two" in large gold letters on each side of the hull, with the Presidential Seal. George (Senior) has always kept a "go-fast" boat moored at that location. You can see it all,from the road,along the Seashore.Its quite a sight! More to come.... Rj

I am not too sure that I would want to serve on one, especially during a bad storm. In regards to that the picture of the storm gates...does it actually have gates that open and close? Have you ever taken a picture of that boat that is owned by retired President Bush? As I have mentioned before, you live in one very interesting area...lots of history and places to see and I really enjoy reading about all of it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

to 1. help protect any vessels in the harbor, and 2. to help prevent the the lower part of the town,from a storm surge of water or flooding. They learnt the hard way,years ago. I have visited Kennebunk Maine a few times,never had my camera. Have seen a large black inflatable, pull along side its mooring, 2 Secret Service hop on, and take the "Fedelity" for a spin. Imagine having that job?

lesson as usual Ron. Looks like I might get down around the end of Oct for a couple of days.

Dave

8.1 mega pixels,and a Kodak Easyshare Z712 IS for zooming in! The Sony uses a Lithium ion battery,lasts a weekend or two! The Kodak uses a lithium rechargeable,also quite nice! No more camera's with double AA crap!

n/t