Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lighthouse and Sister Lightships... part 3

Ron J

Walking toward the outer pier,i could see this was not the "New Bedford" Lightship. It was the "Nantucket I" , owned by a wealthy lawyer from Boston! [attachment 70654 NantucketNo.1045.jpg]This vessel is usually docked at Rowe's Wharf in Boston,a very expensive location i might add. When i took a tour last spring,to see the "Kennedy" during her last visit,ever, to Boston,i saw the lightship docked there,but it was too far away for pictures. Man,this was great luck for me to be standing on the dock,not 5 feet away! As i mentioned,she is currently a privately owned charter boat,owned by Bill Gorden.He had purchased her on Ebay,from the State of Massachusetts in March,2000,for the sum of $126,000. He spent mega-bucks restoring her,from top to bottom. Inside has State rooms that are magnificent,with ultra modern conveniences.In 2006,she was for sale for a tidy sum of $ 7 million! This is the first time i have been close enough to really eyeball her this close. The outside looks like the way she was originally built,except i noticed her deck,painted gray,also has a raised deck,made of gray composite decking,available such at Home Depot etc. They did a great job with it.I don't think too many people would catch this,except if you are familiar with steel ships. This vessel was built by the Coast Guard,in Curtis Bay,Maryland,in 1950. She is of course of steel construction,diesel powered,and 128' in length,commissioned as WLV-612. She has the distinction of being the LAST lightship in commission with the United States Coast Guard. Her career ended in March,1985. I don't know her current status,or why she is in New Bedford. Here is a bow shot,showing her "bullnose" with the large mushroom anchor to keep her in place,when on duty.[attachment 70658 NantucketNo.1036.jpg] Her lifeboat of course.. [attachment 70659 NantucketNo.1034.jpg] It was tough to get a full shot,being so close to the dock. [attachment 70660 NantucketNo.1039.jpg] [attachment 70661 NantucketNo.1038.jpg] [attachment 70662 NantucketNo.1037.jpg] Rj

It amazes me what is bought and sold on eBay. I never envisioned that type of anchor being on a large ship. We use something similar, but much smaller when fishing in water with lots of underwater brush...it will not snag like a pointed anchor. Thanks for posting the photos with the story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t