Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lighthouse and Sister Lightships in one day! Part One!

Ron J

A little over two weeks ago,i got the bug to make a quick Saturday morning trip,to the southern Cape, to hit some antiques stores. I left at 4;00 a.m.,and was on the other side of the Canal,just pre-dawn. Figured i would drive directly to Wellfleet,to the Wellfleet Drive-in. They have a flea-market on weekends. If i started there,i could hit every shop, heading towards home at the same time. The Flea-market was a complete flop, drizzle kept the handful of vendors,covered. Disappointed,i headed back towards the Canal,thru quite a few towns,stopping at different shops. Most had phone numbers for prices! I had expected to see that in a few,after all,the Cape is also a tourist trap! I found a couple of items,nothing special. One shop in Chatham,a very small one room "treasure trough" ,called Monomy Salvage,has got things piled up,old and repro nautical items.Price's aren't too bad,if you look,and know what you are looking at. I managed to buy a few mint M/C license plates,all two digits.I was happier now! I spent some $$! :) While there,i spied an odd looking clock? It was a "timer" for deep sea,hardhat divers. Porcelain base,with brass numbers. Carol the owner,let me take it outside for a photo-op! I wanted to buy it,but didn't.I did want a picture,to show a friend, Paul Harding,who runs the Diving Museum in Gloucester.(i wrote of it in the past) I think it a rare piece,if your into just porcelain related signs,of Diving! We figure,the first set is the time of the dive,and the 2nd set,time to come up? [attachment 70518 Heritagemuseum004.jpg] Thought it a very interesting piece of nautical history. From there i continued my "hunting" trip. I had intended to stop in Barnstable,at the Coast Guard Heritage Museum, to see my Fathers C.G. related items i had lent,on display. Arrived there around two,and was just amazed at all the items on display. My Dads items were displayed in appropriate locations.It felt real good to see this.I know my Dad would have been proud to see this himself. Took all kinds of photo's,and left knowing the items were safe. I had only intended to leave the items there,until this Fall,but looks i will wait till Spring to retrieve them,they look like they belong there... Well on the way home,stopped in a couple more shops,in Buzzards Bay,found nothing,except a large bureau with a large mirror,mad of tiger wood? If i had my truck,it would have come home with me! I don't usually eyeball furniture,but this caught my eye. Kind of forgot about it. Sunday morning i started thinking of the piece again...humm.. Gotta have it!! Went on line,and searched Buzzard Bay Antiques,and found the name of the shop,called,verified the right shop,left a deposit on debit card,and agreed to pick it up in a week or so. Well last Saturday, is where this story really begins....I had planned to "fly" to Providence R.I. to visit the Russian Sub,that had been on display,till last Winter,anyway.Same sub used in the "Widow Maker" with Harrison Ford. Sunk at the dock! From there,i was going to see the "Sarasota",and the "America" two decommissioned WWII Aircraft Carriers in Newport,and then head along the coast to New Bedford for more antiquing,then to Buzzards Bay,to pick up my bureau! Again i left early, 4 o'clock,and was in Rhode Island while it was still before 6' O'Clock,and still dark!! I did not know exactly where the Carriers were,so figured i would roam a bit. I saw signs for Point Judith, [attachment 70523 NantucketNo.1001.jpg]never been there,but wanted to someday. I knew from Dads service records,he had brief visits to Point Judith Coast Guard Station,while on patrols. I believe Winter Island,Salem ,and Point Judith,R.I. covered about the same territory in time of search/rescues back in the late forties. Had no idea i was near the location,so off i went. It was dark,drizzly,and foggy as heck. When i arrived at Point Judith Station,it was still dark,couldn't see the lighthouse,only the flashing light,and hearing its foghorn groaning. So figured,let me find the Carriers,and i would return in daylight for pictures. Now heading towards North Kingstown,i spotted a police car in a parking lot. Pulled next to the officer,and asked if he knew where the carriers were. He thought in Newport? He did inform me,headquarters for a group trying to raise funds to acquire the "Sarasota" from Navy,was up the road,but thats it. I thanked him,and back on my own,daylight was approaching,so figured i would return to Point Judith,while it was only 20 minutes away.[attachment 70524 NantucketNo.1004.jpg] [attachment 70525 NantucketNo.1005.jpg] [attachment 70526 NantucketNo.1007.jpg][attachment 70527 WarehamNantuckert2019.jpg] This area must be real popular for fishing,there were many vessels of all sizes fishing,and i saw quite a few boats being trailered to the area. From here i headed to Newport,where the Carriers were supposed to be. Going over the bridge into Newport, there is beautiful scenery,boats,lighthouse,etc. Now i started driving blindly,to find my destination. Drove around,and everywhere i went,there was signs for a Navy Base,for miles, along side populated areas,on side streets were a gate here and there. I came upon one gate,with a female security guard. I decided to ask her.I parked across the street from her,and walked to the Guard shack.She saw me approaching,and stepped out. We exchanged hello's,and i proceeded to inquire if she knew the whereabouts of the two carriers. Her reply was "do you have a pass to enter the base?" Thinking to myself," are you $hitting me?" I didn't dare say it out loud! :) I replied no,i am just looking for directions! Her reply " They are in RESTRICTED WATERS,and off limits!" ( Yowsa! Please don't shoot me,for asking! thinking to myself again) I dared reply i was informed my local friends,they were visible from a side street,that you could drive down,and there they are! Her reply " They are visible from public land,but are in RESTRICTED WATERS.IT is ILLEGAL TO TAKE PHOTO'S from public land of GOVERNMENT PROPERTY! DO YOU STILL WANT DIRECTIONS?" Holy$het! I sort of mmumbblleed....ya yaa please? She rattled off turn left,turn right,turn at Burger king,right on blah blah.. I thanked her,and left before she could cuff me and torture me!! I felt like a dumbar$e!! Man oh Man,who was this chick? Felt lucky to escape on my own! After this i wandered about,still dazzled over the experience! Never did find the carriers!! Left for New Bedford for more hunting treasures,and to hopefully see the Lightship "NEW BEDFORD" Next stop....Fishing Piers,and Lightship, New Bedford, once Whaling capital of the world.....

When you see that, you know you cannot afford it. :)

Nice as always Ron... I really like that timer.

calm seas

Mikie

Do you have a picture of that Russian sub? That sure is a big light bulb on that light house in the three pictures of it that you posted. Ron, you live in a very interesting area, so much to see and do so close to your home. I feel that we are lucky to have you as a member of this Forum because you take the time to post stories and photos of the area...only way some of us get to see things like that from a place with so much history. Thanks for posting this story and I look forward, as I always do, to seeing your posted stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

i understand the security guard being a bit light in the brain department, they are not high given much leeway and at the wages they get:shrug:
Enjoyed the history and pics, thanks!

very well. I go there a lot on the bike or just to eat at George's Seafood house right on the point overlooking all the fishing boats as they come and go. We used to do a lot of claming up in the cove there. Good beach there also for metal detecting, Scarbrough Beach. They do a lot of surfing there in the winter with its exposure to open sea. You can catch the ferry there also for a short ride to Block Island. You might like that for a day trip in the summer. Dead right now. They pull the streets up there the day after labor day. Nice island with beautiful light house on it on a big 200 foot bluff. My wife and I used to go there a lot and hang out at Ballards. When my father and I were lobstering and long lining for Cod we used to pull in there a lot in foul weather. Not a good idea. Hard to get out of there, and well, you know, stuff happens..... One can loose a week there very easy.... Great spot for seafood at George's, just down the road from the lighthouse, but do it in the winter. Come summer, forget it.. big crowds and prices to match... Some of their fish is so fresh, you have to tie them down to the plate....

George-CT

n/t