Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Let's hear a story

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
about an interesting metal detecting outing you had. I will go first. I was water detecting and was almost done. I decided I could make one more pass at the deepest I could go. The water was right under my chin, and when I swept right it was a little deeper yet. Next thing I hear that sweet mid tone. I noticed the tone was in a depression of about a 3 foot circle. it was not easy scooping when the water is now trying to go over your nose! Up came the scoop and there was a nice big class ring in it. YAY!!! Now re-check the spot and another sweet tone! Scoop again and up comes a white gold wedding band! Holding them together both a size nine. Either someone was trying to scoop them or maybe the one who lost them was trying to find them? No matter it was cool to get two rings at nose deep! :thumbup:

I was detecting the grass around one of the two open beaches,got a nice tone,dug up a silver ring...Scanned the area again,up popped another silver ring...Repeated the drill,until I had three silver rings and one gorgeous gold ring with rubies in it,about 3 inches deep in the ground all of them,in a two foot diameter circle.I surmise someone was reclining on a blanket and when they left up came the blanket and fling went the rings,someone forgot they were on the blanket.....:shocked::wave:

I purchased a Whites Eagle Spectrum this past summer my other detector is a Garrett Ace 350. So it was time to launch the maiden voyage of this new to me detector. I went down to my favorite park about a mile from my house. I began swinging the detector on the sports fields second dig a sterling ring, sixth dig a sterling ring. There was no trifecta in this hunt but I was thrilled with the results of the new purchase. George. You asked! Lol

My friend & I were detecting a school yard and because he was a newbie I sometimes went behind him. He went over a metal climby thing and moved on. I decided to swing to & fro the metal structure and see if he missed anything. Sure enough, I got a nice sound very close to the metal and up popped this gold coin in a 14 K neat setting. My only gold coin to date - sure glad I double checked his path ! steve in so la

1022goldcoin.jpg

That sure is a stand out find! That what I'm talking about, sweeeet! I also like the use of the plumbers putty to prop it for pictures. George

Congrats Mike on the fantastic finds in deep water and that is why we know, You are great in :detecting: and finding the better coins, rings and relics! :clapping: :angel: Ma

Beautiful rings George and I have an White's XLT Spectrum purchased in 1994 and always liked it and wish I could still use it but when with my sister I hope to be using it again and she can be with me and do the digging or use it herself! Congrats on the ring finds! :clapping: :angel: Ma

Congrats Steve on the 4 nice rings find which was good for you but not for the losers, I hope the rings were insured so they could recover their loss and wipe away their tears! :angel: Ma

My story is when my ex and I were fairly new at detecting and had gone to a city park where I found a gold ring with the initial T, another ring but don't remember what it was...silver I guess and then as we were walking on the side walk back to the car, I looked down and there was another ring laying on the walk near a wall! My ex couldn't believe the luck I was having.. but I say it was Jesus blessing me! Think it was silver but been soooo long ago, ole Ma has trouble remembering! Then in Forest Park with my son, I found a 3/4 inch wide 14-K lady's wedding band....almost too wide for me, as I have short fingers...but too small size anyway! Always a thrill to dig up silver, gold and relics! :thumbup: :angel: Ma

Love the Stories! :clapping: All of our lives are a big colorful tapestry of stories! Maybe some are a little torn and ragged, bullet holes and cigarette burns and all...but a beautiful and well made tapestry none the less! I tell ya, I love this group here!:please: You all have helped me in ways you do not yet know, So I will give you a story.

This April will be the beginning of my 4th yr detecting...was always curious, but never had the chance, working, family you know, nose to the grindstone, pulling that plow, etc no time for any other focus...so I'm not sure why I started this late in life? ...
Anyway, I'd been ridin' desk, big stress, had a lot of folks depending upon me, really burning it at both ends...didnt think I'd have much longer to live, and really didnt care.. aint that something? I was in a bad place physically, mentally, spiritually...felt my only role in life was to bring in the money for others, maybe it was? I sure hope to think some families along the way had a good and decent existence, and didn't have to worry at night about business, I took it too personally I guess....well,

One day me and the wife took a walk on the beach, and we ran into an old guy swinging coil, he must have been a guardian angel is all I can figure. He talked to us, explained the excitement of the sport, told me to go to Als over in Plainwell...so the next day we did, and I got a detector, a Fisher F70, the old guy on the beach told me it was really underrated, I took Als word on everything, got a sandscoop he recommended, ..He was gentle, but firm, interesting shop, cool stuff! Looking back, you could tell he'd seen it all before, fire in the eyes of an impulse buyer, dreamer, gold hunter or whatnot, that would not last long in the sport....Wrong!

I hit the beach, running AT..I didnt know anything! Just kept getting up early before the sun and walking, swinging coil for miles! Started to sort of get the idea of what this sport was all about, little did I know that what I thought would be an individual private endeavor would put me into a moral and spiritual excersize...

A guy gets a lot of time to think behind the coil, in the dead hours, as the suns coming up, gets to thinking about all sorts of things. Gets to thinking about how one minute, there's your footprints in the sand, and the very next wave wipes the slate clean, leaving no evidence that you even walked this planet at all...

Found a ring! Had the persons name inside of it! Now whats a person to do? Keep it? Try to return it? What? What are the rules regarding a lost item found? Oh the struggle of flesh and spirit! Did not expect this sport to thrust me into this kind of dilemma! Decided to try to return anything lost possible...and leave it at that..I think it really gives hope to them about how something once lost, could be found...how we might just be some sort of shepherd in a way....once blind but now see, you know?

Came across where folks have died out in the surf, missed and remembered by people I do not know...followed coyote tracks in the sand and wondered about the short time we have on this planet...seen some pretty sunrises...Ever seen when those big dark clouds are covering the sky, and a beam of light comes shining through like a laser? Thats God in all His Glory I reckon, or at least close enough for me.
Mud

Sounds like you are finding what's more important than gold/silver. After some years you will see yourself being consumed by the "hobby". I love being outside , swinging the detector & discussing things with the Lord. Steve in so la

I enjoyed all the stories folks and thank for telling us.

I particularly enjoyed Mud's account. Detecting is thinking time and, being alone in the beauty of this world, sets a great background for deeper thoughts.

He writes "A guy gets a lot of time to think behind the coil, in the dead hours, as the suns coming up, gets to thinking about all sorts of things. Gets to thinking about how one minute, there's your footprints in the sand, and the very next wave wipes the slate clean, leaving no evidence that you even walked this planet at all..."

The Lord works through that mode of thought and blesses us.

We have been in outback Australia quite a bit. It is remote - we have more than once camped for many weeks and never seen another soul, no one at all.
The isolation is good thinking time and praying time.

The moonless nights out there are as black as ink. One night I was no more than five steps from our caravan and it was totally invisible to me. I had no idea where it was. Eventually I stumbled over a rope holding up the annexe poles and followed it back to the van. Otherwise I would have had to call out to Robyn and follow her voice "home" which was only a few steps away.

I tell you this to emphasise the total blackness that exists, and it takes that deep darkness to reveal something of the majesty of the heavens. Millions of stars, totally unseen by people in the cities, glow at you and amaze and mystify you.

Inevitably Psalm 19 comes to mind: The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, And night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.

How often I have thought over this passage whilst looking at the inky heavens, and it is detecting that has taken us to these remoter spots.

Well, that's a bit of a different detector story, but I really did find something wonderful. And it's still there for you to find as well.

n/t

good post. check your PM.

Great! :thumbup: C nyal! Utter and complete darkness is something very few people get to experience, at least while alive anyway...Robbed of our primary sense of sight, a fellow's other senses have to drive the rig at that point, a very scarey and at the same time an exciting feeling!
I like detecting, sight is not of primary importance as audio feedback and "feel" of a location...I like hunting gold, and I get my share, funny this thread has got me thinking about time alone with God...I dont leave the house looking for that, I want to find gold! God just mysteriously shows up, so maybe for some detecting has more to do with relishing the time alone with God than hunting gold...I dont know, have to think on this some more..maybe God needs our minds in a quiet and calm place to get through to us, and detecting just happens to be one of the venues?
Strange, being outside in the wilds sure makes a fellow respect the awesomeness of God, and the smallness of man. Anyway, heres some gold!
Mud

I have to say you may be right Mud, that your calling at one time may have been to lead people to prosperity. My thought now, is your gift with words backed by a brilliant mind. This gift, we all enjoy here but I feel I would be selfish to keep you to ourselves. Have you ever explored writing a book. I am always captivated by your writings the expression used, your heart poured out and of course your wisdom in so many arenas. I think the first time I encountered your witty humor/contagious personality was in the Garrett forum.You could always count on Mud for an encouraging word about your post based on your hunt. God bless you, brother may your words be shared and may they influence many that read them. May man and woman be lead, and to God be the Glory. In our precious savior Jesus name Amen!