Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

learning about repeating tones, pinpointing & depth

bendorfold

This is my first metal detector and my first attempt with the Lone Star. I spent about a half an hour in my side yard, learning.
I am very pleased with how easily this machine pinpoints. With the 8" coil, it's down to a 4" swing and the 4" coil only needs a 2" swing.
This machine has an Ultra Slow Swing feature that wasn't mentioned in the owner's manual, but I found the Radio Shack Manual and it's mentioned on the Features page. You only need to move 2 inches a second. The Radio Shack Manual also has a better Operation section with much better explanations of what the controls can and cannot do.

First image is the top of the septic tank. The dig hole was smaller than the 4" coil and dead center.
septictank.png

Everything is aluminum except the bottle cap. Everything was dead center in the hole (same size hole as above), except the thin sheet aluminum which was an 2" x 8" signal pattern. The sheet aluminum was six inches down and I could get a repeating signal with the 4" coil 12" above the ground.
scrap.png

I just got my first detector too and I'm impressed with the technology. It works really well.

Sounds like your well on your way to the good finds.
Now if this weather would just break here, I might be able to get out myself...ground is still hard as a rock, and we are getting the not real snow, but not rain either kinda stuff...then it freezes and turns to ice and slush...YUCK!!!...I cannot wait till I can save enough to move to North Carolina...
I am a Rebel at heart anyways...I never felt like I belonged up here in the North Country.
HH,

BH-LandStar

[quote Dalton]so is the 4" coil better than the 8" one?[/quote] I believe it is safe to say, it's really not a matter of one being "better" than the other. It all has to do with application. They are both good depending on conditions and what you are looking for. The 4" coil is much "better" in trashy conditions because it has a narrower field (literally half). And with a narrower swing area it also narrows the target area when pin-pointing. On the other hand the 8" coil covers twice the area and will likely give you a bit more depth. It obviously will have a slightly larger target area making pin-pointing a bit more challenging, but this can be overcome with practice. Rule of thumb; when pin-pointing the 4" coil will give you a 2" target area, and the 8" will give a 4" target area. I have found that spending a little more time Xing the target will save time finding the target. So the 8" is "better" for covering more area, and searching a little deeper. The 4" is "better" in trashy areas, and has a narrower field for pin-pointing. They are both good and have their place in your detecting arsenal.

I have to put my 2 cents worth in. I am a newbie to the hobby also with a Lone Star. I am however an expert now with pull tabs and cans. I notice on my side to side swings it sounds one beep on cans which in the side to side sweep is about an inch and half area then if I go back and forth to X the area it can run up to 4 or 5 inches in length .Then to pinpoint the center I go forward and back then side to side in about 4 inch movements. Then nearly 99.9% of the time I dig its a can (etiher pop or beer) . But then it has rained almost constantly and the ground is reddish clay here to rocks I am wondering if the metal properties of the objects is spreading thru the wet soil ?
My detector has the 3 sounds low, medium , high, what is depressing is the low gold sound in disc. mode and it always turns out to be a pull tab . But all objects end up being centered pretty much in the center of the middle ring . I think its an 8 incher. Its those 3 tones in one spot that get me low,high, medium (like bang, bang , bang ) in the disc. mode. I have found those are usually rocks ? Because digging there isnt any thing there and after digging and not finding any thing and rescanning the dig it doesnt sound . I have almost stopped digging now on every sound it makes . Am I learning or missing a lot ?

Lee, have you put out a test garden?
It's a good idea.
Bury some coins about 4" deep for starters, about 2ft apart, in a line.

Borow a ladies engagement ring, with diamond, and put it in a plastic baggie. Tape or ziploc shut!
Set it on the ground, or just under surface of sand, for starters, and compare that reading with that of a pulltab.
Return ring...

Dig 'em all!
rmptr