Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lead Seals..........Another Picture..........

I have dug hundreds of these seals in all different sizes.The majority of them are the size shown.They were also used on Railway mailbags,bales,payroll bags,etc.Many of them will have on the rear "ADEXCO" abreviating Adams Express Company or SOEXCO",designating Southern Express company. Story was that during the Civil War people down South in the Confederate states were not at all happy about having a Yankee company (ADAMS) handling their goods so ADAMS created Southern Express and all was well! The seals with RR names are especially collectible because alot of the short lines that were destroyed in the Lincoln's War of Northern Agression were never again rebuilt and these seals are almost the only artifacts still recoverable that mark their existance. Further info can be obtained at Google Search by typing in either of the Express companies names. BTW........Nice finds !...HH..."DOC"[attachment 12685 bestleadseals.JPG]

Thanks for all the info DOC...now I have new things to research over the snowy winter months....:please:
Do you happen to know about what year they stopped using the seals ?

No , I dont know when they quit. I do know that they pre-dated the Civil War, but I dont know how far back they were used either. I could find very little information on the web, pertaining to those seals.If you find anything interesting in your searches, please let us know.........HH..."Doc"