Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Latest finds

PAshooter

Thursday: In the park
This park was built in 1895 and used to be quite popular in it's early years.
8 clad pennies, 1 clad dime, buncha junk (old stoneware pottery shard in upper right...):
[attachment 93078 DSC00018.JPG]

In my yard afterwards, another 1940 wheatie, 5 clad pennies, and in the upper right you can see a strange octagonal brass piece with an L-shaped brass bracket coming off the center of the back...no markings. The big thing on the left is another large chunk of lead pipe:
[attachment 93079 DSC00027.JPG]

Yesterday: In the park again
Lower right are a 1917 and a 1920 wheat (my oldest coin finds at the time!), 2 clad pennies, and 3 clad dimes. The rings in the upper right were all in the same 1.5-sq-ft area and appear to be brass grommets, like from an old canvas tarp or something. The whole area had campfire coals under the top half-inch of sod. On the left is a big piece of lead flashing:
[attachment 93080 DSC00029.JPG]

Softball field, on the way home from fishing
Most of this is from an area where bleachers once sat. 5 clad pennies, 2 clad dimes, and a clad nickel (only my second nickel!):
[attachment 93081 DSC00031.JPG]

Today: Under my pool
We were cleaning out the pool and had dragged it off of the spot we always have it on, a big round recessed area that the previous owner had dug out, to make a flat spot in the slightly-sloping yard. At about 15' diameter, it fits our pool perfectly. Anyhow my wife suggested that I run the detector there while I had the oppurtunity. Well, what a good idea - I can't believe I hadn't thought of it! In fact out came my first indian head penny, and probably my oldest coin find yet! Hopefully I'll know the date once it's done soaking in the olive oil, it's pretty corroded. Also a 1944 wheatie, 2 clad pennies, and a strange thin copper(brass?) disc, with 2 holes and a hinge on it, a lid to some kind of old case, I assume. In the upper left are 2 small chunks of lead, lower left is an empty pistol round that broke up while I was rinsing it off. Can't read the calibre, looks like a .38 or .380 to me:
[attachment 93082 DSC00035.JPG]

So again, my own back yard gives up the best finds yet for me!

Thanks, I am really hoping that a week or two in the olive oil will clean up that indian head. We'll see... now I just need to find my first silver coin!

It shouldn't be long the way your going.

I see you are learning a lot about the way things sound.

It's odd. We want to dig good stuff.

But we have to learn the bad stuff to be better at it.

Good Luck,

What that is is something to do with fastening of some roofing I am told as we find many of these at house sites.

Interesting...I wonder, now my curiosity is piqued :) I used to do all kinds of roofing, specializing in slate. I'm gonna have to dig into that further, thanks for the info!
I love this forum :super:

Rick(ND) said:
What that is is something to do with fastening of some roofing I am told as we find many of these at house sites.