Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last Sunday's Finds

kiwigirl

Still pulled up pull-tabs but not as many this time, so I'm learning. :biggrin:
I had a great afternoon, this was my finds for the afternoon; as well as lead-heads off nails, foil and bottlecaps which I have not done a pic of.
Luna Park Restaurant Heliopolis ???token???. I have put this on the what is it forum hoping someone might be able to help, I still have not been able to find out anything about it.
Then a 1937 NZ threepence. 1933 NZ sixpence. 1934 NZ sixpence. 1943 NZ sixpence. The oldest sixpence's are the two English sixpence's, a 1915 and a 1922.
Still in the coin & jewelry mode learning.

Regards

Very nice finds! I love the old coins and it's always nice to find an old token. Is there any writing on the other side of the token? Good for???? I know nothing about your coinage, but I know the years are nice and old plus I see silver. Good going and thanks for sharing.

Hi Kiwigirl:

You are so lucky to live on such a beautiful Island.
When I was in Australia back in 1984-86 I had planned
to visit there but just never made it.

Those are nice finds you have there.

Is there much by way of Gold Nugget hunting in New Zealand?

I always hear about Australia gold but never anything about New Zealand. Maybe I
just answered my own question.:)-)

Katz

Beautiful coins kiwigirl. Sorry if this is random or off subject but what type/model camera do you use to take the pictures your posting. They are so clear. My camera is very lacking and I need to look into a new one. You said you were into photography, any recommendations for an economical digital camera that would give me simiilar results to yours ? I want one that can show the fine details, close up when I post my finds. I made some nice silver jewelry finds yesterday and I want to post some CLEAR photos and my camera is not up to the task. Thanks for posting some nice finds and for any advice.
HH
Scott

Nancy.
We don't have a Lunar Park in NZ. I have been trying to follow up on it with google, but have not found anything as yet about it. I am only presuming it is a token. There is Lunar Park Los Angeles and also in Australia. :unsure: Links talk of a Lunar Park Restaurant in Los Angeles, but not in Australia?
Tokin, Check, or whatever it may be is copper, 24mm across with a number 2 on the back :shrug:
Do you know of links to good web-sites that have information on tokens?

Regards

Thanks Katz, we do have a beautiful country
Yes, gold is still found in NZ. Most of it is through mining, I'm not sure yet on actual finds of nuggets with metal detectors, still research I have to do.:biggrin:
I did put a couple of pics on my first post 'Newbie's nightmare on pull-tabs' of one of my partners find. Old areas and creeks that were sluiced back in the early days is where he goes with his GMT. Alot of bush here on the West Coast to get through if you can't follow the creek up, makes for very hard going.
Again it comes down to doing the research on the history of the area's, many area's the old timers could not get water to for sluicing, so with a metal detector there is the chance of maybe picking up something.

Regards:wave:

Hi Scott. That's fine, I don't mind you asking. For my photography I have the DSLR Canon 50D and I use a macro lens for close-up.
But, for the coins instead of getting the big camera out, I have just used my pocket size Olympus M1030 SW. It's 10meg shock and waterproof and a fabulous flat camera for the pocket, takes excellent photos, has a 2.7" LCD screen for viewing. For the coins I used the super macro mode, no flash, but you do have to be able to stabilise the camera so there is no movement what-so-ever or your photos will be soft or out of focus, I use just a little bendable tripod called gorilla I think it is and screw the camera onto that to stabilise.

What is the camera you are using?, has it got a macro mode on it?, just the macro mode should get you close enough for a good shot.
But yes, super macro is great for in your face full frame detail.:thumbup:

Regards

OK bula, I'll start to study up the relic mode :biggrin: just received the book The MXT Edge by Jeff Foster I sent away for, wow, some reading in that to do.:yikes:

Regards

For everyone that was interested on the Token, I have found some information.

It's taken a couple of days but I found the same token with a number 1 on it at http://www.noble.com.au/auctions/view_lot.php?sale=78a&lot_id=7430&results=15&sort=lot%20ASC&category=188&page=5&img=y&kw=

Also some info on Luna Park Heliopolis at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_Park,_Cairo
Maybe one of our NZ Soilders had been over in Egypt and while back home went to the races and lost it at the old race-course. The race course is still used today, so it has alot of years on it, about 1880 - 1890 I think it moved to there from where it was.
The research is as exciting as finding the token when you do find out something. Still have not come across the one with the 2 on it yet, but this is a good start to finding out where it came from.

Regards :wave:

Kiwigirl:
Well, one day I'll get to your island. Another good thing about your
country is there are NO SNAKES! Thank God!!!!!!!

Katz