Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last hunt of 2018 gets best silver of the year 1833 Capped Bust Half Dime

TNreb

My buddy Chris and I have been hunting a very large piece of property looking for a camp known to be in the area. We were hunting the side of a hill near the railroad tracks and working our way down towards the creek. There was a lot of trash from where an old house must has sat as it was littered with square nails and broken glass and pottery. Both of us were using the Minelab Equinox which works great in trashy areas. The previous week I found an 1899 Barber dime and a heel plate and Chris found a three ringer and a spoon. Chris made the comment that he saw on an old map that there used to be a road that went under the railroad trestle down to the creek and across to the next field (different owner and that is where we think the camp is). So he walked over to where the road may have been and immediately found a bullet. Then another. I joined him and first signal was a Gardner bullet. I told Chris that I was going to walk to the bottom of the hill towards the creek. First signal was a nice flat button. Then about 3 feet away I got a nice sweet tone reading about 21 on the Equinox 800 and reading 8+" deep. I dug down the length of my shovel which is about 12" and laying in the bottom of the hole I could see a silver coin laying in the bottom. I hollered at Chris and said I have another silver dime. He looks in hole and says it looks funny and must be a foreign coin. When I got it out we still could not tell if seated or not. Chris got out his spray bottle of water and we gently cleaned off the dirt. That is when the mystery came to light. It was an 1833 Capped Bust half dime in pretty good shape.

Nice find got my first half dime this year a1835 in beautiful condition amazing how small they are!

Beautiful coin...:thumbup:

You can still see the full "LIBERTY" in the headband, so that one was dropped in the mid 1830's.

I wonder what the story was of the person who dropped it around 180 years ago.

Great catch!
mike

Beautiful. Nice job....