Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Large DD and Mucklock/tailing piles

NathanW

So I have read on the forum that the large DD is the better coil to use when searching tailing piles. I dont recall the reason given as to why the large
DD would be the better choice over the mono.
Our claims are all turn of the century hard rock mines with tens of thousands of tons of tailings. With the price of gold back then, they dumped alot of rock that had less than the minimum oz per ton required to be profitable. I know the infinium will not pick up the micron gold that is locked up in alot of this but I have found larger gold with it in the piles using the large mono.

I actually have not even used the DD that came with it as I believed the mono to be the better choice.

Any help towards which coil is better and why would be appreciated.

The 10 x 14 DD will respond to the same size gold as any of the other coils but due to the nature of the windings small nuggs give a less defined signal than with the mono,s.

Gold in the tailings is usually pretty small and not very deep so either the 8 inch mono or the small DDs would give good results on small gold (5g and down) with approx 1g being the limit.

None of the coils hit hard on small gold and even the 3 x 7 DD gives a quiet but clear response on small gold.
The 5 x 10 DD is a very usefull coil for shallow gold work in noisy ground.

The 8 inch mono is, where diameter verses sensitivity and depth is concerned, by far the best Infinium coil. (My opinion only)

Thanks for the reply.
As soon as I get Garrett to replace the 8 that is falsing, I will give her a go.

The Aussie term for tailings pile/heap is Mullock heap.

Maquarie dictionary:

Mullock:

1. Mining refuse muck.
2. Anything valueless.
3. Poke mullock at, to ridicule make fun of.
4. To work in a slipshod way.

[size=medium]Mullock / Tailngs = Ken'z Goin' Diggin' tomorrow to Quartzy/Gold Area with FinnyLS, Lobo ST, Pistol Probe & My multitude of handmade mining tools[/size]