Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Large Coil Thoughts

tcp

I have only used the large coil about five times. The first few times I did not find anything deep in the parks that I have hunted with the 3030 and the Equinox 600 with the stock coil. I did find several nickels but few were very deep. Yesterday I hunted an old amusement park that has been well hunted for thirty five years. I went to an area that I had found a few wheats on previous hunts. The machine was in Park 1, sensitivity 20, recovery speed 1, and iron bias set at 0. I found a shield nickel at about 6", a barber dime at 7" or 8", and an Indian Head at 10". I know it was at ten inches because the coin imprint was at the bottom of the hole and I measured it with the pinpointer. That is about two inches deeper than any coin that I have ever found with any detector. All of the finds either had nails or wire with them or close by so the signals were very jumpy but they were the same with a 90 degree sweep. I think we still find coins in 'hunted out' parks because they have so much iron and other trash next to them. Sometime the numbers on the Equinox are not stable and they seem to jump all over but from now on I am going to dig when they repeat on a 90 degree swing especially when they are deep. It may involve removing the other targets around the area so a more accurate pinpoint can be made but it may be worth it.

Nice report, tcp...

It's always nice to find a keeper like an Indian or Barber at the bottom of a deep hole.
Makes all the effort worth it.
:)
mike

I just picked up the large coil for the beach. If the signal is repeatable at 90 degrees even if the TID is bouncing I’ll dig.
Thanks for the info tcp. Good luck!

I have been thinking about the 15 inch for a while. Reading posts like this makes me closer to taking the plunge.

Good Report -

Next time you're over one of those possible deep targets, try changing your recover from 1 up the scale in increments of 1 and see at what point you lose your good signal. I tried lowering my iron bias to 0 and I started digging all sorts of rusty nails. I have mine on 2. I have been hunting using Park 2, 50 tones, iron bias 2, recovery 6 and sensitivity typically around 20 to 21. When I start hearing interference I back it down until it is gone. I am using the 11" standard coil and have been surprised at how deep I get obvious targets. I too have been finding rusty nails in with good targets.

My EQ800 does give the squeeker signals with no target ID when at the fringe of detection. I'm meaning good target ID audio, with a - - target ID. Listen to the Audio.

I have the 6" coil but haven't coughed up the $$$ for the big one. I typically use my Etrac with a larger coil when going after deepies. Perhaps there is some use for the biggie where I hunt.

Rich

Rich (Utah) said:
I have the 6" coil but haven't coughed up the $$$ for the big one. I typically use my Etrac with a larger coil when going after deepies. Perhaps there is some use for the biggie where I hunt.

Rich

Hey Rich, the Equinox with big coil might prove to be deeper then your E-Trac setup..
I used to hunt with the E-Trac using the Gen 5 NEL Tornado for my deep hunts but it has since been sold.
My 800 sporting the Big Coil is at least an inch deeper then the E-Trac and also my previous CTX/17” combo.

Recovery Speeds and Iron Bias play in important role when dialing in the Nox for maximum depth.

Bryan

Recovery 1? wow... I haven't been brave enough to venture that low, but my 15" setup is similar to yours except with recovery at 4, and I have been using Field 2 mostly. I may test a few targets today with a slower recovery speed to see how it sounds. I agree with Bryan, I think the key to the 15" coil is finding the right personal balance between the recovery and IB to get the best performance at a specific site. ~Tim.

I can understand using a recovery speed of 1 very easily with a 15". I have used a Whites V3i for 8 years, Whites calls the recovery settings, "recovery delay", inverse to recovery speed, and the higher the number, the bigger the coil it applies to. Take the Whites 4x6" coil. Recover "delay" is in the 40s, and their bigger stock 10" DD coil is factory settings, set to 80. In the case of the Equinox's recovery SPEED, I see a lot of sense in running an 15" coil at #1 in recovery speed.

Bryan V said:

Rich

Hey Rich, the Equinox with big coil might prove to be deeper then your E-Trac setup..
I used to hunt with the E-Trac using the Gen 5 NEL Tornado for my deep hunts but it has since been sold.
My 800 sporting the Big Coil is at least an inch deeper then the E-Trac and also my previous CTX/17” combo.

Recovery Speeds and Iron Bias play in important role when dialing in the Nox for maximum depth.

Bryan
x2
Jeff