Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Large Button

KSdiver

My brother and I went back to the Colonial site this morning - found this large button.
No marking on the back.

Nice decorated colonial cloak button. Circa 1790's give or take. I found these too. Great and personal find. You can almost picture it, shinny silver colored and proudly showing it's star pattern. A sign of a well off gentleman. Star and pinwheel patterns were very popular themes. HH

A cloak button - that is very interesting - Thanks coinnut!
I am not a button expert at all. I found 6 buttons in this location today - this one is the largest and the only one with a design.

Got to love those old buttons. I found this 1 1/2" brass button with a flower design and small hearts around the edge, about 50 yards from the "Wilderness Trail". The Wilderness Trail is the trail used by the western settlers traveling through Virginia and eventually passing through the Cumberland Gap into what is now Tenn.

TomB

Actually known as a one piece button, these were imported into America by the millions I suspect. Mostly from the UK. During the Civil War, the South used them out of necessity. Commonly known as "penny," "coin" and "flat buttons," they span from the early settlers to the end of the 19th century. The best are within the military or political genre. coinnut's suggestion of "cloak" button is accurate. However, I've examined very large, "silver dollar" diameter buttons on the outside cuff of men's dress coats circa 1750s. Examine all one piece buttons carefully. You might find a "Jackson's March" or "Jackson's Victory" back mark or a George Washington inaugural button. One of my friends found two GW buttons here in TN recently and some years ago, two of my friends found 3 Jackson (Andrew) buttons in one day. Good hunting, David@Dixie