Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Landing the traps...

Ron J

Parked the truck, to take a hike up the Salem/Beverly Bridge to get a couple of harbor shots. Only vessels left in the harbor are Harbor masters, and some lobster boats. [attachment 76327 Winter042.jpg] On the way done,noticed a few lobstermen / women unloading their traps for the winter. The " Sea Anchor" belongs to a woman. If i remember correctly,her name is Terese,(Theresa). I would say she has been lobstering for 30 yrs or so. Thats her in the purple hat. She and her husband run the Anchor, a bar/seafood restaurant across the street from the dock.Good food / reasonable prices too. [attachment 76325 Winter050.jpg][attachment 76325 Winter050.jpg][attachment 76328 Winter044.jpg][attachment 76329 Winter060.jpg][attachment 76330 Winter062.jpg][attachment 76331 Winter055.jpg]

No transom and the deck is aluminum while the rest of the boat appears to be glass. Obviously easy to load and unload traps while fishing but backing into a wave would give you a cold wet arse!
Classic Yankee ingenuity!:biggrin:

Looks like a Novi or Down East lines. I see a lot of the dragger's cutting the tramson way down now also. I've never seen the pots with the yellow wire. Last time we were doing it they were green. Before that wood and we would make them up all winter long of oak.
I got pretty good at making my own nets for them. Still have my bobbin around here somewhere. I enjoyed lobstering until the summer crowd got in the water and the boaters thought those lobsters lived in the pots at the end of the float that they could just take, rob when ever they felt like.... We moved started setting 10 pot trawls in deeper water to stop the majority of it... Then there was the foggy days when a few bad apples would fish your pots with radar so they could see you coming.... Evens so I still enjoyed it.

Nice pictures for sure and nice boat also.... I like those days with flat calm waters in the winter...

Geo

It may be efficient, But it would make me nervous!! :) :)

fair winds

Mikie

n/t

n/t

I also noticed that the boat is missing the rear tail gate...how can it go out to sea and not sink? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the possibility of loosing the traps. That boat is designed that way,without a transom. tailgate as you called it, funny i never thought of the comparison! The Hull is built water tight. I would not feel comfortable with out an upper transom either,seeing a chasing sea behind me in rough water,but i guess you get accustomed to it. Both of these two have open transoms also.[attachment 76423 MYPictures032.jpg]