Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lakeville Lake

Royal

I am not sure if I ever told this story or not. I looked through the stories I have saved and did not find it so I just wrote it again. Some might find it of interest..

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Years ago, when I was still married to the Crazy Horse Woman, I was trying to find a new unhunted area.

We used to do a lot of dancing. Line dancing, country dancing and clogging. We would meet for lessons and dancing at a bar north of Oxford Michigan, where we were living.

The bar was owned by an old couple, Doc and his hag wife, She was ok I guess, at least to me but she was meaner than a dang rat snake to most,

Doc was maybe 80 years old, maybe a little older. He had lived in the area all his life so I decided to ask him where he swam as a kid. He told me of a few places that were still in use and also mentioned a place on Lakeville lake where there used to be a beach, He said that on the forth of July there would be thousands of people out there. I asked what was there now and he said he thought there was a house. I got directions to the place and the next chance I got I took a drive out to look it over,

It was only about five miles from my house so I drove out. I was not sure exactly where it was but the directions were pretty close. It was on a curve and I drove slowly past and I was not sure which house it was. One house was down a very long drive, maybe 500 ft from the road. It was a big house and fairly new. There was a guy working in his yard down there and I thought, what the heck, and drove down the drive. The house was a huge two story house and must have been 3500 sq ft. With a walkout basememt.

I am lucky because I sorta have a gift for gab and if I can get the guy talking for a few minutes I can usually get permission. This guy was a gem! He was a short fat little guy and a ball to talk to. He was one of the first scuba divers in the area but had not dove in many years. He said he and his buddy used to dive before wet suits were common and he quit diving when his buddy drowned. He said he was on the 53 Olympic swimming team too. He now was a realtor.

I stopped and got out. I walked up and stuck out my hand and introduced myself. He smiled and I knew things might go pretty well. I told him that I was a diver and my hobby was under water metal detecting. I told him that an old guy had told me that there used to be an old beach on his lake front and I would like his permission to hunt it.

He said I could hunt it any time I wanted and invited me up to the house for coffee,. We went up to the house and I met his wife and we talked a while. They were very friendly.

I had not brought my diving equiptment along and asked him with it would be convient for me to come dive. He told me that both he and his wife worked in his office but I could come over any time I wished, It was November and pretty cool. He told me that he would leave his house unlocked and I could change in there and go up to the kitchen and make coffee after diving, they would have coffee, donuts and cookies for me up on the cupboard. I just looked at him. I told him,

n/t

Good story bud. When I get a few minutes, I will tell of one of my virgin areas too.

Fair winds

M

meet a stranger! What neat friends to find! I kind of like to think I am a good judge of character too, but I don't think I am as trusting as they were. I would have been back in the fifties or sixties, but not today.

I think you ought to find your "finds jar" and re-explore it! There may be something in there now that you might have forgotten about!

Sounds to me like the Hookah is a lot of trouble. Heck, I would be worn out by the time I got it on!

Thanks for the story! :)

That I found a total of 29 rings at too :D

I can stay down for four hours with the hookah, as long as I don't go below 33 ft.

This is a picture of it setting in my dive boat

n/t

when I started, NOBODY that I knew or ever heard of detected with scuba, at least in my area and I knew a lot of divers.

One dive club wanted me to come and give a talk at their meeting but I decided against it. I didn't figure I needed all that company :D I have made killings at beaches that were just outlots at the end of a dirt road that the locals use.

Being able to trust people whole heartedly like that. And they're still out there. You just have to know where to look. I'll bet his wife was tickled pink when you gave her those rings ! There's no question in my mind that underwater detecting is the way to go. What's the earliest coin you've ever pulled out of the water ? Approxiamately ? Man !.....you've had some great sites !! Another great read Royal !:cheers:

I found that at the Depot Beach on Lake Charlevoix. It was in horrible condition and by the time I got it cleaned up there was no design at all left.

Almost every old silver coin I found on that beach was heavily encrusted, the worse I have ever seen and even if they were old, they were worthless. It is a shame but the old Barbers from that beach were junk. Fun to find but junk. It was an old RR Depot with a loading dock and I suspect that there was some nasty stuff spilled there at some time or other.

I think my oldest coin on land was an 1832 Nova Scotia Half Dollar

A 1906 Barber ! I don't do parks though, mind you. None around here are early enough for my liking. Maybe one ?:shrug: Goes to show that anything can be found anywhere though. A Nova Scotia half !.......that's pretty neat !!:yo:

when I was a kid they were common in change but not any more. I just like finding stuff. I am not fussy though. If I am finding a lot of clad, its ok. I prefer the old stuff though. On the old swimming areas I rarely find anything but old stuff though. Ya gotta go deep though where the waders can't go

I have met Wayne, Linda, Mike, Mike Q, Ray and Ted, who visits occasionally. Willy, who is good people, even if he looks like Kerry. Rob was up here a few months ago.

On other web sites I have met a lot of people. I have made two trips to Va detecting and met great people out there.

I just don't do organized hunts. Did one and will never do it again. Well that is not true. I got together with a bunch a couple years ago here in Michigan and it was a great time. Finding stuff is secondary

Reading your posts sure give me the fever! I have the whole week off work and should finish the "honey do" projects tomorrow.....I have never found a spot that paid off like yours-but I have found a couple pretty good ones - one of which I am going to revisit Wednesday. I always like reading your detecting stories...Thanks!

that makes it so productive is the fact that most people that swam at early beaches used swimming rafts. They were anchored in deeper water and the goodies are consentrated all around them and from them to shore. It is hard to discribe what it is like when you find such an area. I have found at least ten honey spots like that and I am sure there are plenty to find up here in Roscommon, if I would just get out there and hunt.

I have gone to strange lakes and slowly putted around the lake trying to spot little beaches, many times at the end of roads running down the the lake. In the old days many people swam these spots and lost stuff.

Many people will tell you that people in the old days did not have much to lose but they just don't look at it right.

If a little beach had only five or six people swim at it each day during the summer, say for sixty days and that is 360 people. Now if onlly one Percent of the swimmers lost a coin, that is, what 3.6 people?? in a summer?? Now lets add the 80 or 90 years some of those beaches have been used and it comes to maybe three hundred coins, not to mention rings and such. If the beach has been waded and the easy ones found, I figure there still has to be fifty or sixty good finds in the deeper water and if nobody has been hunting it, you have plenty to keep you busy.

I have done it for years and found that it is silly to ignore the smallest beach, especially the deeper water.

wish I could find some spots like that. Sounds like the best treasure was in that couple. Not too many like that nowadays! Great story, and I don't remember seeing it before! Keep em coming, gives me something to look for!

Dave