Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lake Tahoe - The beauty and the beast - for those who haven't experienced her yet

Terry B

It's amazing how different Reno and Tahoe are when they're only about an hour drive from each other. About 30 minutes south to Carson City on hwy 395, and then another 30 minutes up over Spooner to Tahoe on hwy 50. Reno is in the desert, and if it weren't for all the buildings, you wouldn't even think about stopping there. The Truckee river is nice though. A couple of dredgers working on weekends back somewhere around '78 to 81, pulled several 5 gallon bucketfuls of rings and coins out of her from the Virginia street bridge downstream quite a ways. That was a fortune. Lots of gold and silver. Big news at the time. Made a lot of people mad though. It used to be a tradition when people got divorced there to toss their wedding rings off the Virginia street bridge into the river for good luck. Years ago, a divorce there only took 6 weeks if you established a residence there during that time. For a fee, arrangements could be made to make it appear that you lived there for the duration. That was the divorce capitol for many years.

Lake Tahoe on the other hand, is a beautiful paradise that you have to experience to believe. Breathtaking forest that surrounds the beautiful lake, which is really deep. The water in most places is clear enough around the edges to see the bottom at the end of small piers. When standing on the bridge spanning the Truckee River where it leaves the lake near Tahoe City on the California (N/W) side, you can watch the schools of huge fish gathered below in the clear water looking for handouts. Fishermen out on the lake often pull big Mackinaw up from hundreds of feet deep, and their eyes pop out from the rapid ascent to the surface. Emerald Bay at the Southwest end of the lake features water that's actually a beautiful emerald color. It lives up to its name. What's funny about the Truckee River is that it goes NW a ways, then heads east into the desert to empty into Pyramid Lake. It doesn't end up in the pacific ocean like most of the other rivers of the Sierras. The Walker River also empties eastward into the desert, as does the Carson River, and probably several others.

I'm still puzzled at what I saw years ago off the end of a small pier on the west "California" side of the lake near the Tahoe City area. We were attending the wedding of a close family friend. Her brother and I walked out about halfway on the nearby small pier which was only about 100' long. While we were talking and looking down into the crystal clear water, Mike says, "hey, look at that!" There was a beautiful buck standing upright on the bottom about 30' down, deader than a doornail. Beautiful big rack, and looked like he could just walk right out and onto the beach. Dangdest thing we'd ever seen. Musta drowned in the upright position. The water in Tahoe is really cold. You can wade out usually less than knee deep in some places, and then it's so cold your legs and feet turn numb.

Out on the lake, if a person falls out of a boat into the water without a wetsuit, they can freeze to death and drown in about 3 to 4 minutes. That reminds me of the time I was working for South Shore Glass back in late '80 or early '81 when that fellow tried to set the world's speed record on water off of the Cave Rock area. There were two of us doing a mirror job in a fancy home on the east (Nevada) side of the lake just south of Cave Rock maybe a mile or more. We heard the noise of the rocket powered streamlined craft and walked out onto the deck to watch this fool. The homeowner's binoculars were handy, so I used them. He was really flying when he went behind a large grove of trees that obscured our view. The rocketship never came out on the other side. He took his big drink directly below us, maybe a little over a third of a mile away. There wasn't any big splash sound, only the sudden absence of the roar of the rocket engine. Apparently, the craft sliced cleanly into and under the surface like a bullet. The body of the pilot was found securely strapped in the cockpit when the rescue divers eventually found him.

Speaking of working at Tahoe, the coldest day of my glazing career was there on the California side of the lake. Another glazier and I were installing storefront in a clubhouse building behind the main building of a new resort. It was snowing pretty good, and the gale force winds were blowing the snow horizontally across the lake. We were working less than 100' from the shoreline. I was so cold I'd stumble over to the large space heater and stick my head close to the flames for a minute or so, and by the time I got back to the install about 20' away I'd be freezing again. We fought it for about an hour and rolled up. Don't like the winter time there. About 40 years ago and before, Lake Tahoe was probably the most beautiful place on earth. Remove 95% of the current population, and it would be again. :bouncy:

deep lake as this will show.

[attachment 47608 tahoe.jpg]

Years ago I read about some guys that explored the lake with a remote controled sub. They went down in that 1645 ft hole and when their light hit bottom, what was the first thing they saw? A beer can :(

I was just looking at the lake with Google Earth and it is much bigger than I thought too!

Thanks for the post. Interesting:thumbup:

n/t

I also remember the hairiest ride I ever had in a boat, and that was in my own new Barretta 20' fish/ski boat on Tahoe the day after the worst windstorm Tahoe had experienced in decades. Like a dummy, I took the wife and kids and another couple out from the tiny Cave Rock launch ramp. The rollers were so high I had to stay on top of them to keep from capsizing. We made it about 7 miles north of the launch ramp and realized our dilemma.

I could look down in the troughs which were at least 20'to the bottom. Scared the supreme heck out of all of us. Somehow I got it turned around and headed back near to the shoreline, but we still got drenched with huge splashes of water several times. The bilge pump was working pretty steady on the return trip. It never felt so good to make it back to the safety of a little protected cove and launch ramp. Tahoe can be really mean.

Terry B

I ever tried to snow ski. Took the lessons, the whole bit! I was there for a conference, and since it was not that far away, we decided to spend a day there. I thought it was beautiful, but I slid on my butt a lot that day on the mountain!

We vistited Tahoe before we came home, and it was a gorgeous place! I didn't get to gamble, though cause there wasn't enough time. Although I did keep the slots hot in Reno, I did not contribute to Tahoe. We were on that ski slope the same day Sunny Bono lost his life! Very tragic!

Both were great places to visit tho, and I would love to go back some day! Does the water in Lake Tahoe stay that cold all year long??? :)

The summer time there is heavenly, probably why they named the ski resort there Heavenly Valley. Mt Rose is where the hang gliders like to launch in warmer weather for a long sail time. Of course, Virginia City is just across the valley from Mt Rose pretty much. That's where they used to hold the annual comical camel races. And now you must hear about a home I did a ton of mirror work in just south of there in Washoe Valley.

This was a new brick home of 11,000 square feet that was owned by Miss Kitty, Madame/owner of Kitty's Ranch (a brothel) in Moundhouse, a little east of Carson City on hwy 50. She's a tiny gal, but definitely rules the roost. Her bedroom was bigger than most family homes. She and her 2 tiny white toy poodles slept there. Her husband's bedroom however, was MUCH smaller. Her car was a fancy new Mercedes, and his was an older car. Nuff said. :rofl:

the Cartwrights lost all that land. Remember, they owned it all from Lake Tahoe all the way to Reno!

And that wasnt a buck deer that you saw on bottom. It was Hoss Cartwright!:look:

Lil Brother

n/t