Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lac St. Jean Cold lake of the North ...

SurfCutter

During the mid to late 80's I was traveling Canada more on my own hunting camp grounds and seeing the country. Most of these trips would focus around how far the beaches were apart and what or how much play they would get. Looking over the map just before the start of one of these camping hunts I noticed a fair size city north of Quebec City on the shores of Lac St. Jean .....Alma .

So with curiosity raised and have detector will travel my girl friend and I set off for this far off lake and camp ground listed on the travel map . We spent the first day at a small hotel combination camp ground were we did fairly well with two large gold rings and enough change to pay the night fee . The next morning we set off after breakfast for this far northern lake . The drive was longer than I expected more to the fact the road was a two lane black top and what seemed like miles of just wilderness, in reality it was only 3-4 hours away from Quebec City . On the trip up I do not think I saw more than 5 or 6 other vehicles the whole way . What struck me was how remote this city seemed you might see a small summer cabin or maybe a dirt road off the highway but very little signs other than the road that man was ever here. We did not see big game but if you looked quick you would see from time to time small game and birds but we were not looking for critters on this trip so they did not get any special note . The other thing that I noticed was how different the trees looked from when we first set out or even compared to those seen around home back in New England , much smaller and thicker almost to the point of being more brush like than trees reminded me of some of the forests on Cape Cod . it was like we just turned a corner when we arrived in Alma and it was not what I expected very city like and new , the camp ground was only about a year or two old in operation but what really seemed strange was to see many luxury vehicles , Alma is were AL-CAN has a very large plant the big hydro electric plant at the end of Lac St. Jean would be my guess for the show of new wealth . It also helped us to make the decision to leave early the next morning for better hunting grounds was a trip to the local market were we found a small frozen chicken was $25.00 .....:surprised: and that was the cheap thing we could find in the way of meat product....a bit rich for my taste . Were the trip up was with expectation the trip back was with the idea of get out of Dodge A.S.A.P. .....

[attachment 58606 lacstjean.jpg]

n/t

I do not think that I would have stayed around very long either. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

guess some people would be forced into buying the high priced products. That's what I like about our RV. It's my bed, my space and I load it up with food before a trip to avoid just what you described above! I don't metal detect alot, but after a swift survey of the area, I would have left too! Too bad to go all that way and find out it's not what you expected, but you live and learn sometimes the hard way! :)

an education. The forest was probably cut and you were seeing second or third growth.

I added a picture of the lake