Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kids?!?!

Dkk5685

Haven't quite had my beachhunter for a week yet, but I've managed to take it out every night after work for about 2 hours, looking at two local freshwater lakes. Have generally gone in the evening, and just had a few casual people ask if I've found anything good. No. $1.31 total after nearly 10 hours, and some random junk.

Well, tonight. It rained lightly, and my boyfriend and I were the only ones there. Out of nowhere, three kids pop up - about 7-8 years old. They were not shy! They immediately ran up to me, tried to take my detector from me - "We wanna try!". OMG! They followed us around for at least 20 minutes, nearly stepping on my coil a dozen and a million times. I was somewhat blown away - no parents, they were alone and unsupervised. As I detect and my boyfriend digs, they would attack anytime I pinpointed something for him - "We wanna dig" I wanna find treasure!". When I found a few random coins, they wanted them!

Finally, we lost them. Had to start getting a little mean, and besides how nervous I was with them 1) breaking my detector or 2) stealing my treasure, we were even more creeped out how they looked following us. We're 25 years old, we just felt uncomfortable and it was awkward, strange kids we didn't know getting all over us. I know I've read somewhere online about kids at the beach trying to dig your holes...

Very interesting night. Just glad that I'm getting the hang of my machine!

I've had kids take my headphones of my head and stretch the cable, step on my coil several hunred times, dive in the water and grab the coil and shake it, try and take the detector out of my hands, and throw pennies at me to find....etc etc etc..... the kicker is the parents were 20 feet away just watching and laughing !!!! It was enough for me to confront the parents and all they said was ... "they're just kids" ..... after that I just left to another part of the lake.

Well they are just children and their brains haven't developed yet (or maybe ever depending on the parents) but, they can be annoying. I have had them come up to me in the water and hang onto my scoop while asking if I have found anything. I usually keep a few shells in my pocket to give the cute ones. The bad ones usually get me to go into deeper water. Either way I usually run the coil over their heads and then ask "Have you got a metal plate in your head?" ...when they appear concerned or confused I respond, " You better go ask your parents because I can hear it!". That usually gives you a 10 minute window to disappear into the deep end.

just act mean(growl if they get t close). In all honesty md'ing is crack' for kids lol. They are just curios about what were doing but when they get annoying I turn into that grumpy old man and the parents usually reel the kiddies in.

Yeah, the kids can be curious, and a lot of them just want to watch what you are doing, but there are plenty that were bred and raised from inconsiderate and stupid parents, and they are going to grow up and be the same way. It should be more than legal to just push them into the water and see if they drown if the parents aren't going to raise them. Survival of the fittest, the parents who take care of their children and raise them correctly will have more surviving offspring.

Ya know, putting up with that kind of pre-teen thuggery....and thats what it is, is stupid.
You're just encouraging the little %@#$!'s
I had one hassle me a couple of years ago at Virginia Beach. Got so bad, I grabbed him by the arm and said "lets go see the life guard"

Then he started squirming and crying about he didn't want to, because the guard "Had already warned him"
I went to the guard and complained.
YEAH, THATS RIGHT... Metal detector users HAVE rights too. What a shock!!
The guard told me as soon as he located the brats adults, that they would all be leaving the beach.
Finally a stressed out looking "aunt" appeared to claim the little "darling"
I briefly told her that if he's like this at 8-10, just imagine how wonderful he'll be at 18.
She did apologize, and the brat finally shut his big yap when confronted by a show of adult unity.
Point being, anybody even touches my detector, we are going down right there. Age don't matter, thats MY $1200.00 machine, not his, or his mommas.

If that makes me a "BAD" person, so be it.

Lmao....survival of the fittest! Lol) yea, never had one grab the md! I say that gets a hand to the arse' and a "go bring me yur mother"

I've told kids before to just back off because it is a very expensive machine that their parents would have to pay for or if they step on my scoop they will slice their foot open, they always leave me alone after that. I hate to be that way but if you don't, they will take advantage of you. After I retired, I started driving a school bus for our School district so I've had plenty of experience in handling these kids. HH

Find a couple police ball caps wear them, or find a police tee shirt for those areas with pesky kids.

Warn the kids of the danger when you starting swinging the coil, swing it a number of times real fast and wide every thirty seconds or so.
Tell them that the detectors also detects underground wasp nests and to stand back as you dig.
Talk like a mad person as you sweep.............and find junk.......kick sand up in disgust.....

John(Tx) said:
I've told kids before to just back off because it is a very expensive machine that their parents would have to pay for or if they step on my scoop they will slice their foot open, they always leave me alone after that. I hate to be that way but if you don't, they will take advantage of you. After I retired, I started driving a school bus for our School district so I've had plenty of experience in handling these kids. HH[/quote
I to also work as a bus driver for our local school dist. and know how to handle kids. I normally don't have a prob with the kids here besides the: what are you doing ? find anything ? type of ?'s the cute ones I will even let them put the head phones on to hear what it sounds like. For the most part they stay away because I always look crabby LOL so they stay away from me.Except for one little runt this year he was about 11-13 yro. He and his little buddies where doing the name calling thing I didn't say any thing, then it was rock throwing right before I left. I caught him in the parking lot with my wife and kids and just told him how would your folks like it if I drug you up their camper and filled them in on what you were doing and saying. He played dumb at first then got he got the hint.I didn't see him after that. It all starts at home and when you see kids act like that I feel sad for them not because of what they do but because of the home life. We got kids here that are seen out at 1-2am not because they sneak out but because their mom and dad are sitting in the bars and they have the same attitude as the one above. I'll be 30 here in a couple days so am still young but I still do the old school values with my kids: Do as you are told, don't talk back to your elders don't lie cheat or steal etc. They also get a good swat on the arse if they did something to deserve it which is very rare normally a good talking to does it . The problem I see alot is that there are to many parents trying to be the best friend first and parents second. They give their kids everything under the sun from skate boards to snowmobiles and they don't have to do a fricken thing and when they get asked to do a simple chore they have a melt down.I understand that we want to give our kids everything that we didn't have but you have to draw the line. What is that going to teach them nothing because when they get into the "REAL WORLD'' they are going to be in for a rude wake up call. I work hard for every thing that I got nothing was just handed to me and my kids are learning the same thing.If they want something they work for it and respect other people and there property.
Sorry for the rant.
HH-drewan

Some pesky kids I can get really ugly with. Others I do everything to entertain and accommodate. Depends on what Mom looks like. :devil:

I tell those who are getting to close to my grille to, "GET BACK"! I've been thinking about what I will say to the next kid. I think I'm going to try this one here, LOL! "Whatcha looking for?" Peace and solitude and you are keeping me from finding it, WADDA YA THINK?

Good one, that sounds just like me, my grandsons tell me I'm a grumpy old man, I love it.....Guess some kids don't understand that while hunting, my mind is free and relaxed, it's a good feeling. HH

Most of the time I can handle a small group, I let them dig a few coins, this will slow them down And most will not follow you out of there parents sight..........but when I get the midtone of gold with the excal, I gotta take those.......the last couple years I just say, I can't hear you, and I can't because of the MR GOLDMASTER Peltors Headphones mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjuUSRy0q8&feature=player_embedded