Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kids.... you gotta love 'em!!

beebiz

Today, I took my F2 to a city park in one of our small rural towns. There is a senior citizen's center in the center of the park, a tot lot on one side of the center and a concrete basketball court on the other. The tot lot was very small and only produced a penny. I went to the other side of the senior citizen's center and hunted around the basketball court. I had dug a couple quarters, 3 or 4 dimes, and 4 or 5 pennies, only lacked about 15 feet having gone all the way around the court and I hit a dime. I knelt down, dug the dime, put it in my left hand, and finished repairing the hole. Just as I was about to stand up, out of the corner of my left eye I caught sight of a pair of small feet wearing shinny new little girl's shoes. It startled me and I jerked my head around to see who it was. There stood a little girl about 7 or 8 years old; holding a basketball. I could tell she was saying something, but couldn't understand through my headphones. I slipped them off and asked her what she had said.

"What'cha dooooin," she asked?

"I'm metal detecting," I said.

"What's metal detecting," she asked?

I told her that my machine would find lost pocket change. I also told her that it would let me know if it was on top of the ground or down in the ground.

"Good," she said. "I lost some change."

"Really," I asked? "When did you loose it?"

"Just a few minutes ago."

"I see," I said. "And where did you loose the change?"

"Right where you were digging."

"Really," I asked? "What kind of change did you loose?" I asked this knowing that the dime was about 4 inches down in the ground and couldn't possibly be the coin that she had "just lost!"

She thought for a few seconds. Then she asked, "What kind of change did you find?"

I said, "No sweetie.... it doesn't work that way. I have the change that I found here in my left hand. You tell me what kind of change you lost and if it is the same as what I found, I'll give it to you."

The little girl looked down at the ground and would no longer look me in the eye (a perfect tell tale sign that a child is lying!). As she stood there and thought, you could see the smoke coming from her ears... the smoke caused from all those brain gears furiously grinding. Then, she sheepishly said, "A quarter."

I opened my hand and showed her the dime that I had found. "I didn't find your quarter... I just found this dime."

"But, I really did loose a quarter," she said with disappointment.

I stood up and said, "Alright, I'm gonna see if I can help you find your quarter." I pulled a quarter from my pocket (not my pouch). I unplugged the headphones. And, as I held the coil up in the air, I said, "Now, listen." As I waved the quarter over the coil, and the F2 beeped the sound for a quarter, I said, "Hear that? That's what it will sound like when if we find your quarter."

I began swinging the coil. I went about 10 or 12 feet when the F2 hit a penny.

"There's my quarter," she exclaimed!

I said, "No, sweetie... that's not a quarter. Listen.."

Once again, I held the coil in the air and waved the quarter over it. Then, I swept the penny again. "Hear the difference," I asked? She said she did.

I pinpointed the penny and dug it. It was about 6 inches deep. When I got it out, I showed it to her. Though it clearly wasn't her "lost" quarter, she said, "But, I lost some other change too."

I told her that there was no way that she could have lost that particular penny just a few minutes ago; because in order for it to be down that deep, it had to have been in the ground for a long, long time. Then, I told her, "Now sweetie, I don't mean to be ugly and I don't want to hurt your feelings. But, I think it's time that you go on and play basketball. And, I think it's time that I go take care of some things somewhere else!"

I only found $2.08 in clad this evening. But, the experience with the little girl was priceless!! She was cute and sweet. But, I wanted to paddle her bottom for outright lying to me like that! Oh, well.... like I said in the subject line, "Kids.... you gotta love 'em!!"

Good luck all,
Robert

Good story Beebiz.

I have had some priceless monents with kids in play grounds also.

The day after Hallowine was a real hoot.

All the kids were pumped up and thought I was digging treats for them.

Memories are great finds.

What a hobby,

Very nice story beebiz,and I Love your avatar, too cute :happy:.
I love kids to death,but thats one of the reasons I dont like to
hunt tot lots. You were very nice and patient.

Terri

Wow. That's quite a lot of thought out lying from a young little girl!!!! She makes me nervous. Lucky I'll be too old to care when she robs me in about 20 years:rofl: Where are the parents???

I go into a zone when I am swinging, I would have probably never even seen her.

[quote tabdog]Good story Beebiz.

I have had some priceless monents with kids in play grounds also.

The day after Hallowine was a real hoot.

All the kids were pumped up and thought I was digging treats for them.

Memories are great finds.

What a hobby,[/quote]

Thanks, tabdog. I guess the kids thought the "Great Pumpkin" had buried them, huh?? As for the memories... at this point in my life, they are worth more than all the gold in the world!!

[quote echostar61]Very nice story beebiz,and I Love your avatar, too cute :happy: .[/quote]

Thanks, echostar61! Avatar???? That's my baby picture!!!!!!!!:heh:

[quote echostar61]You were very nice and patient.[/quote]

I love kids... always have. Heck, I used to be one (proven by my posted baby picture!)! And, when I was a kid, I was fortunate enough to have lots of adults who were nice to and patient with me. I guess those things help me have patients with kids at times when most adults don't/won't!

[quote coinnut]Wow. That's quite a lot of thought out lying from a young little girl!!!! She makes me nervous. Lucky I'll be too old to care when she robs me in about 20 years:rofl: Where are the parents???[/quote]

It was easy to tell that she was quite intelligent and had an abundance of imagination for her age. Hopefully someone close to her will be able to help her take her intelligence and imagination and turn it into something good... not bad! Who knows... she might be president some day!!

As for the parents, I don't know where they were. As I was leaving, I learned that her big sister (around 13 or 14 years old) was swinging on the swing set that was on the opposite side of the senior citizen's center. You have to remember that this was a very small, rural town! Young children can still go to the local park without their parents having to worry too much about anything bad happening to them.

[quote Dyna_Willie]I go into a zone when I am swinging, I would have probably never even seen her.[/quote]

She walked up within about 2 feet of me... otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed her either!!

Good luck to all,
Robert