Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kelly, You mentioned the Indian motorcycle you saw yesterday.

George-CT

We have a few original ones in the club they bring up from time to time as a treat. Many of them are as they came out of the barn except clean. Others are like that only rough. They prefer them original. I have a few pictures of them here in my stuff from the club and I will dig them up. Indian motorcycles was taken over by different companies over the year with limited success. They still have a following and from what I'm told what made the difference between them and Harley was the that Harley got the military contract. By the time the war was over, all the guys knew Harley's inside and out so they stuck with them. Here is a picture of the Indian bike today. They keep it pretty much like the old one in looks. I t is a company from the UK that took them over and they plan to make it here in the USA.
The second picture is and original one in mint shape.....

Here is the latest scoop on them....

London (July 26, 2004) -- Stellican Limited, a London-based private equity firm, today announced the acquisition of the trademarks and related intellectual property of Indian, America's oldest and most iconic motorcycle brand.

Indian Motorcycle was founded in 1901 in Springfield, Massachusetts, two years before Harley-Davidson, and was a leader in the motorcycle industry for the next 50 years with a U.S. market share approaching 50%. The Indian motorcycle was the pride of the American road, enjoying an unmatched reputation for quality and innovation. In fact, motorcycle historians cite the Indian Chief as the originator of today's cruiser class motorcycle. In addition to playing an important role at home in America, the company played an important role in World War II by contributing over 40,000 motorcycles to the war effort. In 1953, the company filed for bankruptcy and, for the ensuing 45 years, the Indian brand was effectively dormant. It was not until 1998 that Indian Motorcycle was restarted by a series of investor groups. Unfortunately, however, their substantial efforts to make the company profitable ultimately failed. In September, 2003, Indian Motorcycle elected to be liquidated through an Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors process managed by CMA Business Credit Services in Burbank, California.

Indian represents the only true American-made heavyweight cruiser alternative to Harley-Davidson. With eleven models across three distinct platforms, namely the Scout, the Spirit and the famed Chief, Indian Motorcycle had an extraordinarily distinctive product range and classic style. The company also sold a comprehensive range of parts, accessories and apparel.

In 2002, the United States heavyweight cruiser market (over 900cc) exceeded $4 billion with over 230,000 units sold. The market recently has experienced double-digit growth rates with continued strong growth projected. The premium (+$12,000/unit) heavyweight cruiser market is considered to be the most profitable segment. This is where Indian Motorcycle competed by providing the only credible alternative to Harley-Davidson in terms of brand, heritage, style and American quality. Today, Indian has an extraordinary 94% aided brand awareness in the USA and enjoys a cult-like following among motorcycle enthusiasts and the population in general.

"I believe Indian remains among the most powerful brands in the U.S. motorcycle market, and we are delighted to own such an iconic American brand," commented Stephen Julius, an Anglo-Italian financier and founding Partner of Stellican Limited. "Our primary goal is to return Indian to its rightful position as a premium motorcycle brand, selling beautifully designed, high quality products and delivering world-class services. We will do so by carefully and thoughtfully developing the business from the ground up, guided by an overriding determination to remain true to the rich heritage of the Indian brand. We are long-term brand builders, obsessed with product design and quality. We have clearly demonstrated our ability to the world over the last three years with our re-launch of Chris-Craft boats, another business we own today and which we purchased out of the 2000 bankruptcy of Outboard Marine Corporation. We are confident we will repeat our success with Indian," added Mr. Julius.

Stellican Limited is an unusual private equity firm in that it specializes in acquiring and reviving distressed companies, almost all with heritage brands, mainly in the recreational products area. Even more unusually, its capital is provided by its own principals who actively manage its portfolio companies directly. Most recently, in addition to Chris-Craft boats, Stephen Julius, through Stellican Limited, acquired and turned around the iconic Italian yacht manufacturer, Riva, and the Italian Premier League soccer team, Vicenza.

Stellican will now begin the process of determining how best to re-position and re-launch the Indian brand, addressing such issues as where to manufacture in the USA, which engine technology to utilize, which dealers to appoint and when to re-start production. An enormous investment has already been made in product and engine development and Stellican is aware of the need to re-start production as soon as possible once its strategy has been clearly defined. In addition to world-class motorcycles, a key component of the future strategy will be an integrated approach to the parts, accessories and apparel business. Stellican will ensure all of Indian Motorcycle's many constituents - suppliers, dealers, current and future customers and the motorcycle and business media - are kept informed of its plans as they develop over the coming months. Stellican will arrange one-on-one interviews with media at the appropriate juncture.

"We are excited about this challenge and are confident Indian will live up to its great potential under our ownership. This is a tremendous opportunity to revive a great American brand and we intend to do exactly that," added David Wright, a Partner at Stellican.

Fascinating info George.........thanks. I didn't know they owned Chris-Craft too. :shrug:

n/t

It had all that metal on the fenders...sorta looked like an old time type of motorcycle. It was red colored, and had all the fringe on the seat and saddle bags. I do not remember a large Indian decal on the gas tank, just do not remember. Later tonight, time permitting, I may go to eBay and see if I can find one like I saw at that gas station ice house. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Kinda of why I choose mine. I felt it looked like them but not the work to keep it running. The old stuff was fun and somewhat simple. The cases leaked a lot or at least mind did. If there was no oil on the floor, you knew it was empty. Even had one that had a pump on it to oil the chain as I recall. If you had a T shirt on you would come back with a black streak up your back from oil being flung off the chain.
We had a navy guy station at the SubMarine Base in Groton, just up the road from us and he kept his Indian bike at out place as he had a boat there also. He used to let me ride it. It was a beast to start but fun to ride. Last I knew he rode it back to Tacoma Washington and still had it about 10 years ago. I've ridden a lot of them from our club as we swap bikes a lot. To be honest I like most of them. They are all pretty good today. Especially in the big V-Twins like we have. Hard to find fault with a Jap bike. Their engines are pretty much bullet proof. Same with my Victory so far. I was with a buddy today and we are planning a trip up to the White Mountains with the tents etc. I like that area and he is retired so we can hit it on the weekdays when a lot less people are around.

George

Look at eBay auction ad 290199624153. The one that I saw was a fire engine bright red color, but I still do not remember if it has the Indian decal on the gas tank. It was a beautiful bike...I may put the leather fringe on my seats and saddle bags.

Where is the White Mountains where you folks will be camping. Are there any bears there?

In the near future, I want to take a three or four day trip down to the Big Ben and Davis Mountains area of Texas. I think it is about 500 miles each way, a full day's ride. IH 10 West has a speed limit of 80 mph and it will go within 75 miles of the park. This will be a good test to see if my legs swell up and start hurting from riding long distance. If I encounter no problems, my next trip may be to Arkansas.

George, I really like my metric cruiser, very comfortable with hardly any vibration at high speeds around 75 mph, but it will start eating lots of gas at that speed. If I cruise around 65 mph, I will get around 44 to 45 miles per gallon. There are a lot of Harley Davidson owners down here and some of them sorta frown at anyone riding a metric cruiser, but I just ignore them. I like all the bikes, regardless of manufacturer. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Regardless, a sharp looking ride. A fella from another group in RI rides one and we run into him off and on our trips up that way. He has all the fringe stuff on it and it gives it a different look for sure. I look at it this way, give me the look of the old stuff, but the high tech of todays engines and reliability. Best of both worlds. I figure my bike looks like me, old but well cared for.

The White Mountains are in New Hampshire. Rugged area and lots to see and do. There are black bears there and moose also. We usually set up base camp at Lafayette Camp ground near Canon Mountain and them run big loops from there. Beautiful mountain roads to ride and even in summer its nice and cool. Easy on the bike and you. I doubt my back now would take that kind of miles in a day. I usually ride a couple of hours, stop, site see, diddle around, then go another hour and stop, site see and so on. These two herniated disc let you know they are not happy in the easy rider position. If I sit up straight I can extend it some. I've moved stuff around so I get the most ride time and comfort.

We get the same looks from Harley riders. Having a lot of them in our club, when we trade out, after a few hours and they ride different bikes, metric or what have you, they are not so sold on the old Milwaukee Vibrator..... They are pretty old tech and this new stuff if putting a lot of pressure on them. For sure they have a big following. Back here its the upper middle class with money to burn, who get on it with the wife and $500 bucks worth of Harley cloths and cruise around. Nice crowd and few are like the part they dress for.

I've had them, all used, never thought they were worth the big bucks they get for them. Swamp Yankees are basically pretty thrifty and will pinch a nickel until the buffalo goes to his knees. That would be me. I want a lot of bang for my buck. To me, Harley don't offer that. I personally don't want to work on it all week to ride it for a weekend. I want to ride it all week and the weekend with and oil changed tossed in every 2500 miles.

Geo

I like all cruiser type bikes regardless of brands. I love the bike that I am now riding...bigger, and faster than my original bike.

The folks riding Harleys down here appear to be from all walks of life...it is a very popular bike and there are three large dealerships selling them. There was a man riding a Harley that was killed on Saturday evening out on IH 10, near the county line. I rode by the area a few hours earlier when I was returning from that small town named Center Point. The traffic was extremely heavy in that area and people were driving like crazy folks.

That trip that you are planning for the White Mountains sounds like fun. I have seen pictures of Black Bears and they do not appear to be very big. If one tries to bother you, you could probably chase it off with a rock or maybe hit it with a stick. I have never really been around bears, but I do know that they usually get in trash cans. I saw a video clip on a TV news channel where a Black Bear was up in a tree in someone's back yard. They shot it with a special needle rifle...the bullet was a dart with something in it that made the bear go to sleep. The Black Bear finally fell out of the tree and they put it in a cage to be transported out of the area. I was not very big.

Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)