Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just some more river pictures!

Royal

[attachment 8276 2river1.jpg]

The River is like a snake with a hundred bends. The beauty of it is the fact that on weekends there can be dozens of canoes and kayaks on it and you still feel you have it for yourself. Sometimes you see nobody from one end to the other, except for an occasional fisherman.

[attachment 8277 2river2.jpg]

The river winds through miles of dense Forest and occasionally I see the sunlight finding its way through the foliage. Quick shot from moving kayak but the best I could get at the time.

[attachment 8278 2river3.jpg]

This is the same Beaver Dam I posted a picture of last week. The sucker had the whole river blocked by this time and someone tore a hole in it big enough to get a canoe through. This is a great place to tip over, The river swings out away from a bunch of fallen trees and many people have a hard time staying afloat.

[attachment 8279 2river4.jpg]

This is another rather poor shot, it looks like I had some smudge on my lens, of a spring that is always flowing into the river, summer and winter. It is very pretty in that area. In fact this is the area that the ice dam formed a couple years ago and I had to walk out in January.

[attachment 8280 2river5.jpg]

In the logging days, when this area was all logged out, the logs were piled in huge piles at the top of this bank and when the water was high, much higher than now, the logs were rolled into the river and floated to the mills. Looking at the river today it is hard to believe it has ever been any different than it is now. There were huge forest of Pine and hardwood in the area though and it was stripped, as was most of Michigan. More than once

[attachment 8281 2river6.jpg]

This is just another shot of the upper river. It winds through low land and it is full of springs. You can hear them trickling into the river but rarely see them as the brush is so thick. There are about a half dozen creeks running into the river in the area I usually go but if you didn't know where to look, you would miss them. In fact I have found all but one and have not been able to see it as we drift by.

I hope some of you enjoy seeing Michigan at its best :clapping:

That is a good picture of the beaver dam...where were the beavers? We have never had beavers in this area, but then again, this area is probably too hot for them to survive in.

I remember that snow adventure story and after seeing these pictures, I think that you are lucky that you survived that trip. Chills go up my spine every time I think of that story. Thanks for sharing the story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have seen them during the day. There are otter along that river too but the only time we saw them, or rather my brother did, was on the winter trip.

I have a feeling that if the beaver continues to block the river, he will be history. I saw a new dam up river last saturday too.

This is another picture of the river, showing the type of tree that bat was hung up on that I wrote about a while back

[attachment 8291 3river1.jpg]

This is the new dam another beaver is buiding up river. This one is on the side of an island so there is room to pass on the other side. Actually it helps in low water as the water is deeper on the side we use because of him blocking it
[attachment 8292 3river2.jpg]

This picture is just to give you a reminder of the day that Gary and i had our winter adventure
[attachment 8293 3river4.jpg]

I would think that if you would go to the beaver dam each morning, destroy what they had built during the night, that the Beavers would get discouraged and go somewhere else to build a dam...maybe in some one's stock tank instead of the river. Has anyone ever considered relocating them, maybe up in Canada somewhere? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

has a tough time surviving the winter without a dam if he lives in a smaller stream. He needs deeper water to store his food and escape predators.
We have what we call "Bank Beavers", same critters but they live in a tunnel under the banks in rivers that are too or swift deep to dam. That is how they survive.
As a young guy i did quite a bit of trapping and was fortunate to have a friend who taught me a huge amount of "woods lore" and how to survive quite comfortably in conditions that seemed impossible to city raised folk.
That same friend from 40+ years ago and 1000 miles away lives here the past couple years and we continue a treasured and close friendship. The pics i posted of the Halibut fishing were taken from his boat.
Wayne

send those Beavers up here? Does Florida really need anymore Canadian beavers in the winter? :rofl:

You will get a lot more next week. Alice and I have worked a hopefully nice schedule.. Not bsy all the time but we should have some good times

Clear water, fair winds

M

n/t