Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

just purchased a silver Umax

cbiglake

I have heard it over and over again "dig everything" Well then should i have the Umax on ALL METALat about 7 or 8 sens.or have it on dis. at a VERY low setting???

Thanks

I'd say it depends on the condition of the place you are going to hunt. If it's really trashy, turn your disc. up until you are mostly digging good(or better) items. To me, it's kinda like fishing. Your equipment needs to be set for what you are after(or what kind of fish appear to be in the pond). If you don't know what's there, either start out with high disc. and move down, or low disc. and move up. Set the sensitivity about midway for starters(but I like 8-10) . Each location has an ideal machine setting for optimum performance. What's so good about the Silver is the fact that with only 2 adjustment knobs, you can judge the situation fairly easily and hunt the location, or move on to somewhere else. If this helps......

it depends on the amount of patience you have at any given time on any given day. There are days when I honestly just don't feel like digging a lot of trash if the area is fairly heavy with trash. Will I miss some good targets...of course. But I can always come back if I want to. That was the reason I just purchased a Golden uMax with its notch availability. I know, at least for me, this is suppose to be a fun experience. I hunt according to my mood and the area. I feel if you take this hobby too seriously you had better be getting paid to do it because it has become (gasp!) a job!
Pap

Thanks for the replies. I think when i can actually metal detect, i can't as of now due to the FROZEN GROUND. i will just try in all metal and get to learn the machine and after that i will go into dis. mode and once i learn both i will do what pap said w/e mood i am in i will choose the mode i will detect in. Thanks again this forum has been full of information and has helped me a lot.

congradulations , on your new silver umax, i really like mine i had a m-6 but it was to heavy for me and i dug almost everything whith that, then i got a cibola then a silver umax because i wanted to have an all metal mode and hear is what i have found between the silver and the cibola the cibola,s sesitivity was nice because you could turn it way down , i mean you could get coins at 1---2" deep and it was great or you could turn it up and get the 4" coins or turn it moor and get the 5.5" to 6" coins it was really great that way and the 6x9 coil was absolutly great pinpoints to one sq inch very good but you could get on for the silver to now the silver is good in that it has the all metal wich would pick a chain out easaly but in disc harder and the silver is just a wee bit less depth but that is using the 8" coil the 6x9 maybee the same as the cibola and it really is strong on nickles if i sell the umax i have it will be because of finasial destress i really do like it and i have heard the 10x12 coil gets really good depth so really its a good machine and if you get into moor minearalized ground the all metal mode will cut thru it very well thats why i got the silver if the cibola had a good all metal i never would have sold it and get the 5.75 its very good still foze up hear in minnesota cant wait to get out but i will wait i have no coice may you find a lost cash of gold whith your silver ,, gunnar of bradford minnesota ohh and by the way the sesitivity on the silver is way difrent at its lowest seting i can easaly pick coins out at 3.5 to 4" and max 6" its almost like the compodry cant be turned way down that is to get coins at 2" or so but i can work whith it

Thanks that helps! I am in Osceola,Wi i am still hearing about supposed to snow, but luckily it hasn't :bouncy:(knock on wood) I am also starting to see grass it is such a beautiful sight! I just can't wait to MD there are so many places that i am going to hunt. In the wait i have been researching my towns history and i have found very interesting things i never knew off. Thanks cjbiglake