Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just joined, which is best GTI2500 or Whites DFX

GetRdone

I've been a detector enthusiast from the 1960's, and used basically garrett detectors, had to give it up after the mid 1980's, now I tried to get back, bought a DFX, very displeased with it, won't even give a repeatable icon of the same on a target, it sounded as if it could be good so dug it, a penny at three inches, I think for what they crack this machine up to be, is far off, was searching in the preset factory coin mode, what a disappointment. From all the posts I see on the whites web sites seems everyone has basically turned the screen off and are the same as searching in all metal and listening, alful expensive to hunt with a machine that in my opinion isn't any better than garretts old ADS111, of which i'm a firm believer in. I think the took a chevy and just installed cadillac emblems, but they still have a chevy, would apprciate your opinions, thanks.

I don't have the DFX, and don't like to discuss other machines on a Garrett Site, but I can tell you that in my soil, the GTI 2500 is a great machine for most types of hunting. It's fantastic for hunting coins, as it has the ability to size objects. I have left tons of junk in the ground hunting sports fields for both new and old coins. The zero discrimination, true all metal mode is DEEP....and still gives a probable target. It will however sound off on all metal, so one may be selective when using it. But then again.... it's great for relic hunting too. You can switch back and forth with a quick push of a button to check a target in discriminate mode.

Last week, I pulled a one dollar coin out at 18 inches in the snow. I actually measured it. This was using the large 12 1/2" coil. I know some people have concerns about the weight, but if you use good body mechanics, keep the rod short to the point where your arm fully extended to allow allows the coil to just hang above the ground, works just great. I have no trouble hunting for 6 hours this way. I have also found out that Garrett has excellent customer service with any service work I had to deal with.

But....do your homework and ask lots of questions. Buying a top end machine doesn't come cheap.

Good luck with whatever detector you purchase. :)

<center>

........or buy an Ace 250. End of Story. Can't go wrong. Welcome.

Well I can say I had a 1500 then a DFX. The DFX didn't do much in the presets.Poor depth. I had to buy a book on how to set it up hot to get any depth out of it and you had to watch what you made adjustments to or the id and depth would be off.What a bunch of messing around to go hunt.Nice built detector. Went back to a Garrett 2500. Easy to use good depth swing as fast or as slow as you would like with out being concerned about swing speed. Turn on and go right out of the box with good preset programs that will hunt with the best. I think you would like it. The 1500 is a nice detector too.

Garrett Detectors:garrett:
So easy a caveman could do it !

I have field tested most of Garrett's machines over the years, including the 2000 and 2500. The 2500 is the Cadillac of the Garrett line and rightly so. It is an extremely versatile detector and you can hunt anything anywhere in the world. The new models have a special chip installed, at the request of the boys in Australia, that makes it perform like a champ in high mineralization - a real plus that you won't find in your current machine.

The 2500 is basically a turn on and go machine that you don't have to fiddle with constantly. Just set it where you want it, forget it, and hunt. In all metal there isn't much on the market to match it for depth. The imaging will spoil you after a bit because you'll know what's down there before you dig. I don't know that much about a DFX but you aren't the first unhappy user I have come across.

Now if you don't need all metal and all the bells and whistles and want to save a buck you might try the 250. It's a lot of detector for very little money - but if upper end is your style then the 2500 is te way to go and you'll never look back. Good luck.

Bill

Was wondering if the 2500 locks on solid under the coin graph at all depths or if like the competor jumps all over because it can't make up its mind. Am appreciating the advise i'm receiving from other members of this forum, thanks

..have used the 2500 and an XLT, and the XLT was a pain in the butt to use. I'm sure that the DFX is a fine detector, if you like playing around with menus and have a good memory for settings (hard to easily find out what has been disc.'ed) but the 2500 is more of a turn on and go detector that basically has it's top performance ready for the novice user.. no buying books to try to figure out what's going on. The DFX has, plain and simple, a rather bad user interface. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to swing one, but I'd prefer the 2500 (especially with the new chip).
As stated on other posts, one of the big advantages of the 2500 is the imaging. It's an actual (patented) innovation that requires a separate loop at the coil and gives that much more info. It also seems to make the coil more sensitive to smaller targets. Regardless of small targets, it's those big junk targets at 1' that will kill you with a regular detector; the sizing will knock out those pop cans and empty propane cylinders. True, you might miss a buried cache, but they're not all that common (especially in tot-lots) and pop/beer cans are. Also, a nice front lawn or a park is not the place to be digging pits or, indeed, lot's of junk targets. low profile all the way. ...Willy.

Thanks for the reply on the 2500, was wondering about your thoughts on the lock on question, I posted, thanks and good hunting.

generally, you can expect a bit better lock on. One reason is because of the number of segments. the DFX has something like 200. this sounds all fine and good till you realize that even a good target often 'bounces' by 5 or more numbers. having less numbers (segments) to bounce amongst tends to stabilize the readings on the GTI 2500. Also, you've got 2 receive loops working.. could give more accurate data. ..Willy.