Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just got an Excalibur II, couple questions.....

stpauli914

Hello everyone! I have been out of metal detecting for about 5 or 6 years and have finally decided to get back in. Just picked up 2 detectors I hope to work for me in different situations. I got a new Garrett AT Pro and a 6 month old Minelab Excalibur II. I've been playing with both this weekend in my back yard and was able to find a 1945D wheatie with the AT Pro(it was the first I tested). My backyard is full of trash, lots of aluminum, iron, etc. The Excalibur doesn't seem to do very well unless I really turn up the disc. I guess I can understand that, but even when I put the disc in auto it still falses a lot and blanks a lot. Is that to be expected in a trashy backyard like mine? I just want to confirm that it is working properly. Are there any tests I can do before I have a chance to make it to the beach to confirm it is working properly? Like I said, it was purchased by the previous owner July of 2010 as verified by the receipt and it is in excellent condition.

Thanks for any help!!

Aaron in FL

You can air test them the Excalibur won't air test well but it will give you the tones you'll need to learn. The BBS machines need to see the ground to work properly. Also the Minelab BBS don't like any electrical interference. so around your house that might be affecting it. Turn your sensitivity way down at home for test otherwise it will pick up everything! get some hrs under your belt you will do just fine.

You say that you have a backyard full of trash. That is why you are getting the falses....they ain't falses...they are reacting to all the aluminum and other stuff in the ground. When it blanks, that means it is over steel & iron.

To use an Excalibur in trashy areas, a smaller coil is needed. The factory 10 inch is too big for trashy areas. The 8 inch is closer but a good small 5 inch coil is what is needed for trashy ground.

I agree with burried crap......practice is needed with the Excalibur because it is a different machine than a visual machine.

One video in my garden, 99.9 percent Iron http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_PJrfRlTgE

My front yard, seeded with coins for the kids when they decide to give it a try..hopefully they will learn how to do a good plug. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndYPzSksiw

Thanks everyone. That reassures me :) I plan on trying it out at the beach friday morning. I will post the results of course!!

Thanks again!

Aaron

xcal 2 settings for beach:

disc: 1
sense: 6-7 never auto
valume: 3/4 to full
tresh: just so i can hear a little

thats not badd , my farm field is just like that , start digging out the iron , i com out with at least a bag of nails every time

it will blank/null over any target you have disced out so pay attention as to where you have your disc set. at 0 disc it will null on smaller iron.

youve got yourself two detectors that have some differences between them, have fun:bouncy:

I just re-read my first post and I realize I said Disc in auto whern I meant sensitivity in auto. Everything I have read thus far says don't use the sensitivity in auto. Anyone have a ballpark as to where I should start it at on Florida Gulf coast saltwater beaches? 1-3pm is what I'm reading. Agree/disagree?

Thanks to everyone so far for all the help!! I will be hunting my first beach friday AM and will report back!!

Aaron