Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just curious

relic-hunter

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried hunting old & abandoned airfields that have not been turned into neighborhoods? I found a couple of sites that list old and forgotten airfields. I was thinking that around where old hangers one stood might be an interest place to detect. Then again they might be good for old bits and pieces of old aircraft.

Ken

It's a sure bet that short-lived airfields, replaced with modern (post WWII or whatever) neighborhoods will be a bust. Not only were the airfields you speak of short-lived (relatively speaking), but the post-war neighborhoods were WELL into the age of heavy equipment/construction, lending themselves to way too much ground disturbance in the name of progress. Even if you knew exactly the place where building stood, odds are nothing is left of any trace of that. And if it was, it'd be under someone's house, driveway, urbran street, etc.... Modern construction dozes the heck out of landscapes to get the proper gradient, drainage, compaction, etc.... Unlike 1800s/early 1900s const., where they built right on top of the ground, with no preparation.

I have tried one that was near my house. It turned out to be one of the trashiest places to detect. Plenty of nuts and bolts, but no coins. IMHO, they are not old enough to produce any finds worth the trouble.

...curious to know why posters cannot put the subject of their post in the title line. Misleading or deliberately vague titles like, "Just curious..." are a breach of good etiquette.

As for the airport, well, i you could pinpoint certain areas it just might pay off.
It's always the same story - we detectorists are simply opportunistic scavengers. We come behind where people have been, hoping to find the things they have lost. So, if you follow behind the people of the time, in a particular place, you might hit something worth keeping.

For example, if you knew where people parked their cars back then, or could pinpoint paths and funnel points to and from the terminal areas, you might hit a few coins. That's the same today in any dirt or gravel parking area.
Also, passenger aircraft back in the early days of aviation where not the monstrous, ear-splitting beasts they are today, requiring patrons and passengers to be isolated from them indoors. So, there is always the possibility of an outdoor seating or picnic area at one of these old fields.

Mercs, Buffs, SLQ's and Washingtons are worth the effort to find these things out, in my opinion.

Did not realize the the importance of the Subject line was so important to some..I humbly apologize

Personnly I don't think there would be alot at an old airport.When I think of an airport old or new,Most people are inside the Bldg waiting on there flight.I guess the ground crews ,Mechanics,Pilots,etc could drop some stuff.You just never know.You'll never Know unless you check it out.Let us know & good luck with it
pat

jasper12 said:
Did not realize the the importance of the Subject line was so important to some..I humbly apologize
I suppose those who do consider it important, like myself, are in the minority. Too many years in publishing newsletters, in my case.
But I consider it akin to false advertising.
Suppose, for example, you see a good price on something at a local store. But when you get there, you learn they only had one at that price... and they then try to sell you something else. None of this was clear in their advert, so you were blatantly misled to get you in to the store.

How would you feel?

In the retail game, that is called a "leader," intended, of course, to lead you in.

On a forum, it's much the same. The poster is trying to be persuasive or tempting, or maybe just clever with such titles. In essence, hoping to stir up your curiosity and get you into the post that way. It's well intended and no real harm is meant, I know that. And in these particular forums, it isnt so bad, since much of what is bantered about here is of interest to all.

But it seems courteous, at least, to headline your post with some detail. In this example, a better wording might have been something like:

"Anyone hunt old airports?"
"Do old airports pay off?"
"Worth the trouble huntin' an old airport?"

Doesn't that get right to it, instead of the original: "Just courious...?"

Again, I think it's just me. :shrug: