Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just Blessed ,Could have turned ugly

rl1059

I'm not sure if any of you have had this situation,but it could have turned ugly.
I was hunting an old home site were the house had been moved.
had a strong reading for a good coin find at about 6" ,so I used my digging blade
to start a small half moon cut.to my surprise on my first cut I pulled a "live 30/06
rifle cartridge.this is a center fire cartridge and a wrong "poke" could have made for
a "bang" of a hunt."just goes to show you never know what may lay below"

Safe HH to all
RL

I have detected a few live rounds over the years well and truly corroded bullets that would probably do no harm,and some not very old ones. My latest quite recent 22.250 easily readable the pick went through the priming cap with no effect I guess you would have to hit the primer on the end, But little chance of you hitting the primer for it to go off facing you.
I do not detect battle fields which you would have to be care full with mortar shells grenades etc

As a long time shooter and reloader, I'd have to say the odds of setting off the typical rifle or pistol cartridge while digging is quite unlikely. However, I'm not suggesting that one shouldn't be careful when recovering cartridges -- and other types of ordinance can certainly be another story completely. Sharp pieces of metal or glass show up often as well. So we should always be careful while retrieving targets.

HH
BB

I have found live rounds of new 22's in a tot lot school yard. Just the past month I found a .38 live caliber about 4" down and just happen to see the local police drive by and I waved him down, gave it to him and he thanked me. IF we find any live rounds, we are very careful and call the local Authorities and they usually are more than happy to pick them up. One of our PATH members had found a pipe bomb, but wasn't armed. But the Authorities sure had a hay day with it. HH to all, Nancy

Son found a live 30.06 round last week when we were hunting Willamette River shore.
I have no idea why it was there. Residences all around and a boat ramp 20 yards away.
No way could someone be hunting there and gang members wouldn't use this I think. :shrug: