Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just back from the Lane - Got taken by a little girl :cry:

wesbeach

I took off early from work this afternoon and dropped by the lane just in time for low tide. I passed Low Tide Time as soon as I got there. I managed to find a spinner mood ring, silver ring and silver toe ring, but only took home the spinner mood ring plus clad.

Around 16th to 17'th street, a little girl in a white bikini started following me while I was detecting. She asked me what I had found and I told her change. She wanted to see, so I reached into my finds bag and attempted to only bring out change to show (big mistake there in hind sight), but the silver ring (heavily tarnished and almost black) managed to make it out to her sight. She immediately said that it was her ring that she had lost it while at the beach. I didn't believe her, but didn't want to cause a scene, so I gave it to her. She ran into the water and I thought I was done with her. A few minutes she came back and followed me and the detector as I tried to avoid her. Right then, the detector went off and sitting partially buried in the sand was a shiny silver toe ring. The girl grabbed it before I could get to it and claimed she saw it first. I didn't want to get into an argument with a lying little girl like that since you don't know how much trouble they can cause... Luckily it was only a couple of cheap rings, but it sure was frustrating after all that time swinging the coil. Ultimately her father called her back before I found anything else.

I don't know if she will be back on the beach tomorrow, but watch out for her, since she is a regular lying thief. I talked to a woman out detecting and she said the same girl was following her too, but the woman managed to lose the girl. The girl was even digging through the sand the woman had dug up. Watch out for her tomorrow, since I don't know how long she is staying at the oceanfront. You can PM me for more specific information.

What do you do in situations like these/how do you prevent situations like these?

Wesbeach

Then tell her that you give the photos to the police. That usually makes them think twice about pestering you.......they generally go away quickly....BUT I only do that with problem children.

How old was the girl? Normally when ppl follow me i wander into the waves, or out deep into the water. They generally dont follow. Sometimes i act like im taking a long time to recover a target so they loose interest. And if i do have a target, and lots of people are near, i go out in the water to shake it out. I also wear a necklace with a caribiner (think thats how you spell it?) that i put the rings on. Any type of jewelry either goes on the caribiner or in my pocket. Just clad and trash goes into the pouch. If you do find a ring and someone says its theres, you can also ask them what it looks like, and if they give a bad description, then they cant argue back. HH

Robert

Interviews can be troublesome. I never show anything to anyone. When they ask to see, I simply say, "NO". That's all they need to know. "Coins", was good response, but any more information is simply none of their business. You were simply looted by a pirate child wesbeach. You are chief pirate in control and when kids crowd me I tell them to get back! When the colors are on, perhaps I'm not the nicest guy around. I hunt a lot at night and try to avoid people, at all costs, especially then. Toughen up man and demand control of your space. Those 2 pieces of silver should have never been lost. Next time it could be gold. Show 'em a pull-tab and they will move on.
[attachment 61334 emblem.JPG]
GH

I am not good at estimating ages, but I would guess she was about 10-12 years old. I had my Sovereign, so I couldn't go out into the waves, and she seemed to know what she wanted in rings (all of them)

Wesbeach

When the merely curious ask if Ive found anything, I answer, "nuttin but trash, since I have a contract with the city to remove it." Pregnant silence and nothing more. I dont volunteer anything else. I usually keep my trash pocket full and just reach in and show them a handful of that. Sometimes the little kids will bring me a piece or two and then I smile and shoo them along.

If im in a good mood, sometimes I'll tell the real pests that they need to get moving, since I heard about the "spiky catfish that got a guy right around the same spot yesterday." Spiky catfish rarely attack lone bathers, you know, but will come in quick when there are two or more people in one spot. Luckily, I heard the guy that got nailed was going to pull through and would probably keep his leg. I'm always very surprised that they hadn't seen the postings or the write up in the paper and next time the patrol comes by we'll flag them down and ask them.

I also like the camera gag, "Hey why dont you let me take your picture. The latest reports say they're looking for someone who fits your description, and we dont want them to mistake you for a:
___ thief
___ vagrant
___ troublemaker
___ murderer
___ rapist
(check all that apply)

After all, we wanna make sure it isn't you, right?"

If Im not in the mood for such tomfoolery, I just follow GulfHunters advice.

[size=medium]I think I would have laughed in her face and walked away.....if she follows you you simply ask her to take a hike.....That sounds simple enough don'tcha think??.....sheesh!! :rolleyes:[/size]

I once had a nugget style bracelet stolen right out of my scoop, as I tried to get to deeper water to "lose" one of those pesky little kids.. he swam underwater behind me and grabbed it! Mostly, I run my hand around in the scoop, and "palm" the ring into my hand, then dump the scoop, and try again and again (holding the ring against the stem). Fasten it in my pouch with a safety pin after I've walked a distance away. Tell them it's a "peepee detector".. that usually stops them!