Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

just asking (vaquero)

butternut

does anyone ever hear a popping or clicking sound in the threshold hum on their detectors , I have ruled out all sources of interference, Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this , I sent the machine back and they said it was fine.

well when your hunting with it and it does it, it a sign that you have just encountered iron, even though you may have your discriminator set to ignore iron, you still will hear it with pops and clicks. when your not hunting are you using the detector in your house. if you are then electrical interference can cause a pulsating or a chirping sound and or erratic behavior.

also how do you have the threshold and the sensitive set? have to ask this question dont know your experience with metal detectors, do you have it ground balanced correctly. when doing your air test turn knob to the right five times then to the left two, this is for air testing. when ground balancing out doors must be done over a spot where there is no metal. then in the all metal mode lower the coil to the ground within about an inch and move it straight up about 6 to 8 inches. doing this straight up and down slow, then turning the ground balance until there is no change in threshold. to the left in neg. to the right is pos. when you lower your coil and it gets louder turn it to the left. if the threshold gets quieter then turn it to the right. until there is no difference in the threshold sound. just in case you didnt know.

I have the threshold set at about 2 oclock and tried the sensativity all ranges I relic hunt so I don't hunt in the silent search mode I hunt with a constant threshold hum.

last question then maybe scully will chime in, i've been up sense 1 am. what is your ground mineralization like and what coil are you using.

if you had another coil i would say try it. almost forgot the cell phone question, do you have one on when operating the detector

No I have ruled out all possible interferences. as far as findind things I can normally Hit a button or minnie ball around 8 or 9 inches I was just currious if this was atraight of these machines.

when your hunting with them it will do just as you described, but when you just got it on and not hunting it shouldnt. at least mine doesnt. sorry couldnt help, just guessing maybe there is a radio freq, in your area that is messing with it a little. did you try the different freq. selection on the detector. i'm sure you did. maybe Monte or Scully will try to answer. well been up a long time have a good night.

Butternut
I have three tesoro detectors and cannot get a smooth threshold tone on anyone of them anywhere in or around my house ever since we installed FIBRE. My neighbor to the west of me also has fibre and I'm sure the Courthouse across the street does as well. We had it installed for our internet connection and telephone. All my detectors work fine when in the field and they worked fine in our previous residence. We moved to this house a little over a year ago and any attempt to perform an air test around here is futal.
Stan

Having periodic pops and chirps while detecting is normal in Disc mode (thats the Disc working), but if you are hunting in all metal that is not as normal. But getting random pops that are NOT repeatalbe in all metal, thats a bit unusual. I have had "pockets" of mineralization sound off, and then disappear when I disturb the dirt, but the audio is repeatable before I dig. One thing you may check, remove your coil cover and clean it out. I have had erratic opperation with some machines when mineralized dirt gets inside the coil cover. I was skeptical of this when I was first told about it, but it has been proven to me numerous times with my own machines. Be sure there is no dirt inside your coil cover. That could be causing your occassional noise.

One good thing is that Tesoro tested your machine and claims it is fine. Did they test it with your coil as well? Some guys only send in the control box and you should always include the coil.

It also sounds like you are experiencing this noise in or near your house. It may be there is electical interfernce in the area around your house. I would, just to dertemine if that is the case, take your machine a long way from any interfernce, out into the woods or the country side, and see if it acts the same. Try it in multiple locations to see if its consistant. Also, try it at these locations with your cell phone, and then again with your cell phone off, just to be sure there is no interference there as well. As a last resort, try your machine with a different coil if you have one available, and see it acts the same.

I have tried all that you have mentioned above before I sent The machine back, When I sent it back I sent everything with it, I have even tried 3 sets of phones but you can also here these pops and clicks with out the phones, it happens in the air or on the ground. It kind of sonds like something trying to reset . I guess I will just have to start using it in the silent mode.

that would about cover everything, if tesoro said it was fine then the only thing is that there is something in your area its doesnt like. i had that problem with a whites where i used to live.