Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

just a comment on some metal detector dealers (long post)

markl59

I am in the market for a new detector. I live in Bloomington Indiana, I thought, well I would call some local (Authorized Dealers) so I could go and actually try out some different detectors. Because I feel if I am going to plunk down $800.00 to $1000.00 I do not want to be stuck with something I do not really like, and most online dealers (that I have seen) charge a 20% restocking fee. Well If I spend $1000.00 dollars and do not like it, now I have to pay a $200.00 restocking fee. I wish the major detector manufacturers and the authorized dealers could somehow work out something where they had dealer demos for just trying a detector for weight, balance, features etc. and keep the demo for as long as the manufacturer carried that model, then sell it as a dealer demo. I hope I am not the only one out there who feels this way. Any comments or solutions are appreciated.

Most dealers I am aware of do have Demo units to try out.

I can see a problem with some, because of the number of different units they carry. I for one am a multi-line dealer, and I stock all the models of the respected product lines I carry. It certainly would be a tough road to hoe, having a demo model of everyone.

I can't see a problem with taking any one out of the box, and assembling it so a prospective buyer can check it out. That what dealers should be doing. That's why you went to a local dealer to start with.

Mr. Bill

What I am saying is the dealers I called here in Indiana, (I called four dealers) some of them ( two dealers) did not carry any, but said they could order what I wanted, well I can order what I would like to try. I believe everyone should support there local dealers, but some people call themselves a dealer and are just a third party to order something through ie. working out of there home etc. (which is fine, but I think If they advertise they carry all the major brands, they should have a few for people to try.

hi mark!
i agree with you 100%,however these days you will NOT see them demo a unit anymore,because the dealers who work out of their houses cannot afford to be stuck with demo units that no one wants,however they will be happy to have you order one off the "assembled" one they have hanging on the rack!..my brother was a garrett dealer back in the seventies,and he would ALWAYS allow some one to tape the coil up,and field test it for a couple of days to make a sale!..those days,i am afraid are LONG gone!..doubt VERY MUCH you will see that in today's economic climate!..EVERYTHING is just too damn expensive!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.

ohh!..and may i also add that he NEVER lost one detector doing this!..i guess that speaks volumes on how the world has changed in the intervening years!

(h.h!)
j.t

Actually I agree with the dealer's,why should they waste their time and money to let someone try a metal detector out.A metal detector is a delicate instrument and can be damaged very easy by misuse or abused with an inexperienced operator.Heck I've loaned detectors out to friends in the field and at the end of the day when returned find covers missing and bad scuffs and dents that weren't there before.Demo in the shop is OK but to take home and use could be a lot of problems.I think in this case its the buyer's responsibility to do their homework before they buy a unit.

No disrespect to you, but the dealers that didn't have what you wanted to try, but didn't carry them in stock, you should stay far away from. :thumbdown:

There what we call drop ship dealers. They don't put any money into stock, and when they hook a fish in, they phone their distributor having them ship it to you. :devil:

It's tough for me to imagine a dealer that has the model your interested in stock, wouldn't let you drop in to try it out. :shrug:

Good luck in your quest to locate a unit of your choice. If I can be of any service to you please feel free to contact me.

Have a nice day
Mr. Bill

i bouht my m-6 from a dealer mike parks of mission metal detectors i was able to try out the detector and compare it with others i found it had moor depth than the garetts and that sold me i only wish he had moor coils to try the coil is crushal to a detector you can give mike a call at 763-755-9449 he does not preashure is very knowligable and gave me a good deal

I want to thank everyone for there comments. I agree we live in a different world today. I bought my first detector in the 70's a Bounty hunter TR I believe. The dealer then had what was available at the time hanging on a wall for you to try in the store, I guess that is all I was looking for, just to be able to hold it. And today you are right it would be impossible for a dealer to carry a demo of all of the detectors, let alone let people take them home to try. I guess those days are gone. At any rate I have purchased a new detector, after spending a lot of hours in these forums reading old and new post. I purchased the Garrett GTI 2500, I owned a Garrett Grandmaster Hunter in The 80's and liked it. Thanks again. I will probably be spending more time in the Garrett Forum now.

Good choice on the 2500, though.

Dan