Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Joining the water searching crowd

relic-hunter

I have been bitten by the pics of the stuff people find in the water, plus after fining a 925 silver necklace on the beach last week, it's a bit like drugs, once you have some you need more. So I just ordered a Tesoro Sand Shark from metaldetector.cc they offered free shipping in the USA so it made it a bit cheaper. I decided on the Tesoro for several reasons, I had considered the Sea Hunter, but liked that the Tesoro has a lifetime warranty. So I guess I am going to need a long handled scoop. Any other accessories that I should consider?

Ken

Ken,

Some good foot wear so you don't injure your feet. Possibly a mesh belt and pouch too. Other than that, have fun.

JC

Chest waders for cold weather, wetsuit for warm weather. As Ken says, proper footwear for both. I'd suggest getting a nylon quick release dive belt and a mesh pouch too. Kellyco has a very nice 3 part mesh pouch. I use it all the time, it has an inside pocket to hide goodies, an outside zipper pocket and a large main pocket for junk. I like it so much I've got a spare ready to replace it if it ever gets lost or worn out. Neophrene gloves are great when its cold, you'll get your hands wet but they keep the warm and protect them from glass and fish hooks etc in your scoop.

Okay I can see the footwear as being important, and maybe the gloves, but a wet suit for south FL? I see people swim year round without wetsuits. I alread ordered a long handled scoop and a pouch from kellyco.

Ken

Probably depends on how long you are going to spend in the water. On land I can't swing the detector for more than about 3 - 4 hours. I would think that in the water swinging will be even more difficult / tiring due to the resistance of the water. And I know (from the discovery channel) that even in relatively warm water you can suffer from hypo-thermea if you spend too much time in the water. So maybe a wetsuit is needed sometimes. I will find out. The Sand Shark should be here on Friday, and I think I will have a couple of hours on Saturday morning to go to one of the local beaches for an initial hunt.

Ken

But here in northern Alberta you need a wetsuit to spend hours in a lake even on a hot summer day and waders for spring and fall. :)

It is getting that time of the year that we all should be careful as to the length of time we stay in the water. Here is a good site to check out . Water doesn't have to be freezing to cause Hypothermia, and it can sneak up on you. Good Luck and HH.
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hypothermia.htm

relic-hunter said:
I have been bitten by the pics of the stuff people find in the water, plus after fining a 925 silver necklace on the beach last week, it's a bit like drugs, once you have some you need more. So I guess I am going to need a long handled scoop. Any other accessories that I should consider?

Ken

This is shipping in the next week or so. I am first on the list to receive one. :)

stealth-08.jpg

Whips

I also have two of these.

cover12.bmp

They work great in my fresh water lakes and I've seen a lot of guys who have had great success and satisfaction with them.

You will need a wetsuit because even if the water is 80, it is still taking heat away from your body at a very fast rate. You can get hypothermia even in warm water.

A really good wetsuit will insulate you and allow for much longer times in the water. Also a wetsuit will protect you from rip tides if they are present because you will be able to float much easier. I also like to use a mask and snorkel when detecting in water. You never know when you might want to go down and take a look.

I have an SAS titanium threaded wetsuit that allows for me to stay in the water all day if needed. The only thing is is that it costs over $1,000. But it does a great job and I can dive the colder waters up north with no problem. And I can swim for miles with it on and not get really tired from staying afloat.

You really should give some thought to wearing a CO2 inflated life jacket. The SOS style that fishermen wear
weighs only a few OZ.s and is not a problem to wear while detecting in the water. Cost is around $75 to$110
at most large sporting goods stores. Don't think you need to wear anything like that? Reach up behind your
ear between your ear and your shoulder and if you feel gills there then you are probably right. ANY THING
can happen when people go into water. HH and GOOD LUCK

When you review the inflatable life jackets don't get one that is an auto inflater. The auro inflater inflates whenever it gets covered with water. Rain or splashing won't activate most of them but if you are wading or step into a hole and get totally immersed, the life jacket will sense that it's trouble and will inflate. However, that may be what you want. Check on the cost of rearming the unit if it is emergency inflated. It's wise to carry spart parts for re arming as they aren't often stocked at your remote hardware store and your day hunting can be over with an accidental inflate because you snagged the pull cord on the fender when getting out of the car. If you get the ones you inflate yourself you have to practice a little to know where the pull ring is so you'll grab it first try when you need the flotation. I wear one of those all the time when I go surf-fishing. With a life jacket you can be pretty sure your family will see you again after your stint in the water. WIthout a life jacket it's a coin toss. You are just betting the odds that it won't happen to you....Jim

Save your money and forget the lifejacket.

Get a wetsuit. Even a thin 3 mil suit will give you so much bouyancy that you could'nt drown, even if you tried!

Wearing a full, as in jacket and longjohn, 3mm wetsuit, I found that it provided enough bouyancy that it would bring me to the surface from a depth of 90', with all air exhaled from my lungs, in a matter of 15 seconds or so.
And thats with me motionless.

These were controlled experiments conducted to determine the possible cause of death of a friend on a spearfishing trip.

Lou.